What FIRE lineup would you put on the field?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Liviu, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Seeing the disaster that is our defense out on the field yesterday, and seeing a goalie that makes me think I should try out for the Fire, what lineup would you put out there next Saturday if you were the coach? Assuming Jaqua's still injured, this would probably be mine:

------------Rolfe---Carr------------

--Plotkin-------Thiago-----Mapp----

--------------Gutierrez-------------

-Guerrero---Sega--Curtin---Stewart-

---------------Pickens--------------

Guerrero and Sega would be instructed to not wonder too far up. Curtin's snail pace will not be exposed if paired with Sega while still maintaining our aerial superiority in the middle of the box, and Stewart is very reliable and is good at pushing the ball up accurately. This team would have to rely on fast, clean passing, and would be very dangerous off set pieces with Gutierrez, Plotkin, Thiago and Mapp being able to take them.

The defense would look rusty at first, but given a few games, they'll gel and I think this is the best we've got, given the roster.

2. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    What did Carr do that warrants a starting spot?

How can you advocate taking Plotkin, a guy who didn't dress in Dallas, and starting him?

What will the reaction of the team be when the captain (Brown) is benched after 1 game?

3. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    It's not what Carr did, but what Barrett didn't do. We have 3 forwards available for Saturday: Rolfe, Barrett, and Carr. Barrett was disappointing and is out of shape. Carr was hot in preseason. I think these are good enough reasons to start Carr over Barrett.

Pure hunch. And because I really want Guerrero as part of a 4-man back line given our current roster. I don't see a better option at left mid if Guerrero isn't there and Mapp plays on the right. Do you?

Their realization that none of their starting spots is guaranteed. CJ was benched last season as well... the sky didn't fall. Fact is that neither CJ nor Curtin is good enough to start on a good MLS team anymore. They are too slow and what they bring on the pitch doesn't compensate enough for this liability. Fast players will victimize them over and over and over - as they did last season.

4. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would put a lineup that is fit, talented, and appropriate for the formation. When it's 60 minutes, and forwards are running on fumes, that is the team I have put on the field, and I need to put on another (substitutions).

5. xkimo_fire

xkimo_fire New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Iowa
    Minor changes

-----------rolfe ------Barret/Jaqua----
    ---Mapp-------Thiago------?--
    --------------Gutierrez---------------
    -Guerrero-----Curtin--Brown----Segares

I would try this backline right away..
    If Guerror is better then Segares on the right, then I would swap them..
    Also we need to pick up a right midfielder..

Here are some bench players as of week 1
    Magee, Quaranta, Grabavoy...

Not excusing Barret, but in Colin's remarks he said that noticed that the humidity was a factor and substituted accordingly...

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Put Mapp on the left. Put Carr, Thorrington, or even Jack Stewart on the right. Ivan either goes to the backline in a 4-4-2, or he moves inside and Logan takes a seat.

Someone suggested this move to me last night, and it makes more sense than a hunch does.

7. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was nothing wrong with the lineup until dallas changed thiers and we did'nt.We were winning 2-1.

Dave did nothing, we lost.

8. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So you're advocating:

Hamlett--- Shore--- Reynolds

Sounds like a plan. Someone who doesn't sub until 10 minutes left when the team is out of shape needs to watch the game I saw.

9. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any line-up with Curtin AND Brown is headed for disaster. One of them out there would be great (leaning toward Curtin) for stability purposes. Sega and Guererro should be in at all times. Once Sanneh is back (listed as a Mid on roster), assess his speed and see if he can take fill Stewarts spot.

Injuired replacements in parentheses

That leaves:
    Def
    Guererro ---- Sega---Curtin-----Stewart (Sanneh?)
    Bench:CJ, Montz, Griffin, Curtin II,

Mid
    Gutierrez-Thiago - Pause(Armas) - Mapp
    Bench: Thorrington, Capano, Franks, Plotkin

Up top
    Rolfe---Barrett(Jaqua)
    Bench: Herron - if all strikers are available-Barrett at end bottom of bench

Keeper - Let's get that post-Zach era underway soon.
    Pickens
    Bench: Zach, Mahoney

P.S.
    - Sarachan was dead on in calling out Curtin for letting Ruiz off the hook for goal #1.
    - Admittedly, I don't know many of the rooks...

10. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So is 'No Curown' going to replace 'No Armarsch' as the over-used and moronic slogan this year?

11. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    FIRE lineup

Or is it "CJim Browtin" I think the d-mid combo from last week is Pautierrez.

LA is currently playing with Landon and Gomez up top, but the profoundly useless Pete Vagenas is the attacking mid who will be feeding them. I think we want to go with four in the back, with some speed back there, and I think it's time to get Carr some minutes at right half, since that promises to be our black hole.

If he can't cut it, then use Thorrington for him at the half, and Franks in for Barrett around the 70th minute if we're trailing. If Carr is doing well, and Barrett needs a sub, send Stewart or Thorrington in at right wing and send Carr up to pair with Rolfe.

If we're winning when Barrett runs out of gas, put Stewart in for him, push Carr up a bit, and hope he can hold the ball well while we work to delay the game in their half.

- - - - Zach - - - -
    Pause --CJim -- Browtin--Guerrero
    Carr -------Diego------Mapp
    ----------Thiago---------
    ----Barrett ----- Rolfe----

In the meanwhile, watch for CJ or Jimmy to get exhausted chasing Herkycakes around, and consider Stewart for that spot, then the solution for an exhausted Barrett is Thorrington on and Carr up top.

By the way, how were we on set plays on Saturday?

12. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: FIRE lineup

No Seguares? He's the reason we never hear 'I wish Carlos was still here'.