What ever happenned to the stomping after a Quakes goal?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BCaso18, Jul 7, 2005.

1. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

SJ Earthquakes, Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what did ever happen to the foot stomping after a goal? I remember as a kid going to the Quakes games in the early 80's and after every goal we would do that to make the sound and feel of a earthquake running through the stadium. :confused: I could only imagine what it would of had sounded and felt like if we had done that when the Quakes scored those three goals against the crap that oozed up from LA.

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Was that on goals? Or on corner kicks?

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed in the last few home games that there's been an increase in the board-stomping not heard in quite a while. Not so much after a goal was scored (since everyone's standing, jumping and cheering then), but at other parts of the game, particularly when the opponent was about to take a corner kick. I've even had those sitting around me mention how much it sounds and feels like an earthquake (I wonder if the new South Bay SSS will have the wooden floorboards to accomplish the same feat?). :eek:

Unfortunately, those of us sitting in the front row couldn't help out much anyway since the floor there is concrete. :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It used to be on corner kicks. As Goodsport noted, the stomping usually occurs for the MLS Quakes during the critical moments.

I wouldn't mind doing it for each corner kick...

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I wouldn't mind hearing it on dangerous looking set pieces, too.

6. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the stomping just meant that the Wave was coming. You know, like a tsunami.

7. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was right after the goal and everyone sat back down. Usually when it was being anounced who scored it and who recorded the assists.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Sounds like the days before pre-recorded "WOO-HOO"...

9. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    We've always done it on corner kicks!

Too busy jumping up and down, high-5ing after a goal to stomp...

10. PaulChild

PaulChild New Member

Jul 3, 2001
    SF Bay Area
    This is how I remember it back in the day as well.

I've harped on the lack of foot stomping several times on these boards over the years. Last time, a lot of people responded with "we do it in my section all the time!" So I had to conclude that I simply wasn't hearing it where I sit now (where we also have the concrete floor to contend with and can't do it ourselves).

But I dunno, it sure seemed to me like the whole stadium used to reverberate in the olde days....

11. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with the jumping up and down and high-5ing right after the goal, but the stomping happenned even after that. Maybe it was just me, but it felt like to me that the players on the Quakes would be even more pumped up after that in the old days, but I'm sure that that was really more attributed to them having just scored. If you think about it though, what happens after the goal, the opposition kicks off, well, if we are rumbling the stadium, they can't hear or comunicate very easily which could cause break downs that the Quakes could steal the ball back and go back on the offensive again. Just a little food for thought there.

12. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was on corner kicks the Quakes were taking not the opponents?

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    the answer to all of this is "start it yourselves". There are going to be no grand pronouncements of "this is when we do this". The best and most lasting stuff is stuff that just happens, not that is scripted (or prompted by a loud-mouth PA announcer who thinks he's the head cheerleader come on people LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!!!!!!). If you do it often enough and loudly enough and consistently enough, it will eventually catch on. Try it, you'll like it.

14. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    There are still a fair amount of us in 130 who stomp for all of the Quakes corners

15. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds good to me, no wonder you have your own thread on here.

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Not for lack of my trying to kill that thread. Please do not patronize such threads.

17. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    THIS ONE?