What ever happened to Nikki Serlenga?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BrandiC63, Aug 1, 2002.

1. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wasnt sure where to post this, so here it is...

I didnt hear anything about Nikki leaving the National team, and I thought she was doing an exceptionally good job, but all of a sudden she was cut and I havent seen any invite back. Am I missing something??

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  3. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Serlenga took a self-imposed break from the National Team after the Olympics and said very recently that she isn't sure of her future with the team, but she hopes to be back on it soon.

4. ATLBeat2515

ATLBeat2515 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    I wish her the best of luck, whichever she chooses. She would definitely be a good addition back in the lineup for the UWNT.

5. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    what about frenchy?

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Unfortunately nothing has been said in the press.

7. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Michelle French

I think we've all just chalked it up to April being lame at this point. :rolleyes: Fear's right, I don't think there's been anything said officially about it, at least there hasn't been that I've seen. All we can do is speculate. It's like...naming French to the 2000 Olympic team when Akers went out was a "thanks for all your years of hard work on the junior national teams, here's your prize, now goodbye." Her call-ups have been virtually non-existant since, and it just doens't make sense to me. I can see where Frenchie vs. Danielle Slaton at outside left back might be a tough call for any given game, but beyond those two...there's just no one else of their caliber at that position. (Yes, I am including Brandi Chastain in that "no one".) French should be on the team, unless there's some reason she doesn't want to be, and I would find that hard to believe (Frenchie seems the soccerholic--WUSA 6 months or so away from home, coaching at UCLA another few months away from home...she's already not at home so what's a national team appearance or two?).

Yes, I'm a frustrated French fan. It doesn't help that Ian Sawyers is as lame about Frenchie as April is. :mad:

8. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    Re: Michelle French

Agreed.

9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Serlenga did in fact take a break from the nat team, saying that she needed her time away from soccer and couldn't manage both the nats and the WUSA.

However, an AJC article, like Fear mentioned, said that she was looking forward to rejoining the team at some point.

10. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Re: Michelle French

Ape aint the only one shaftin Frenchie rite now :rolleyes: :mad:

11. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    Re: Re: Michelle French

everybody does. how come nobody uses frenchie right dammit.