What effect will the WUSA shut down have on international womens teams?

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by FanOfFutbol, Sep 15, 2003.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There is a thread in the WUSA section that reports that the WUSA has announce it is shutting down and the whys and other direct discussion about that really belongs there.

BUT, there is a larger picture that should be examined as well. What is the implications in international women's soccer and what leagues/teams/players will be hurt and which will benefit?

I have not kept as up on the international league picture as I did before the WUSA and now I would like to hear from others as what the ripple effects will be world wide.

I know that Canada and the US will be hurt the most but the are other countries with well established leagues that could benefit by more players being available.

Here the W-League stands to be a talent beneficiary as well.

I look forward to seeing what others think will happen world wide as a result of this shutdown.

2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I don't think the WUSA folding will affect other leagues. The Norwegian players will most certainly head home and play in our domestic Toppserien as they did before WUSA was founded. Things will get back to normal again like nothing has happened.

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada is establishing a strong presence in the W-League which can set the foundation for a domestic league. Many of the older nats will likely retire while the younger ones will find positions with those W-League sides.

4. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    WUSA Shut Down Could Help Toppserien

I just saw an article posted at the Norwegian website "toppserien.com" that is reporting that the club Kolbotn, last year's league champions, wants to sign Dagny Mellgren, the all-time leading scorer in WUSA history. The article also mentions that one of Kolbotn's best players, Solveig Gulbrandsen, would have probably left Norway to play in the WUSA if the league had not collapsed.

Kolbotn vil ha Mellgren

I thought it was also interested that in this article Ragnhild Gulbrandsen, Dagny's former Norwegian teammate on the Boston Breakers, mentioned the possibility of USWNT players Kate Sobrero and Kristine Lilly coming over to play for Ragnhild's club Trondheims-Ørn.

5. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    If (I still think there is an if) the WUSA will shut down, you might get back the pre-WUSA sitution when american players went to Europe to play. I know we had Michelle Akers playing here mid-90's and the best non-NT player in the swedish league is Denise Reddy, american defender that didn't go back to the states.

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Two WUSA Players Want to Play for Asker

I just posted this item over in the WUSA Forum, but thought it would be appropriate to would post it here as well.

In an article posted yesterday at the Norwegian website "toppserien.com" the GM of the Norwegian club Asker, John Hårstad-Evjen, said that during the World Cup he had discussions with two WUSA players about playing for Asker. Hårstad-Evjen would not reveal the players names, but said that one of the two players was a former Carolina Courage teammate of Unni Lehn and Hege Riise.

WUSA-spillere vil til Asker

I did happen to see two Courage players last Sunday who were apparently staying at the same hotel in Carson as Canada, Sweden, and Germany, but they were two of the least likely candidates IMO for moving to Norway and playing for less than half the pay they received as Founding Players in the WUSA.

7. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Riise & Ørmen Might Play for Kolbotn

The Norwegian website "toppserien.com" is reporting that Hege Riise is considering a transfer to Kolbotn and that former New York Power player Linda Ørmen might also be returning to play for next year for the 2002 Norwegian league champions. Riise is also considering the possibility of moving Northern Norway to play for the Tromsø club Fløya.

Riise Tempted by Northern Norway

Kolbotn wants to have Ørmen