What do YOU want from a supporters club?

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by RoleModel83, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey dude, come by the tailgate next season, and your group can have some free beer on me! :D Friendly? Very.

This continually makes me go back to the fact that the tailgate just isn't what it should be. I think we need to truly look at it before investing into much more stuff that goes inside the stadium.

2. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Free beer huh, I may take you up on that next year....I would very much like to get more involved....you maybe friendly, maybe we just asked the wrong people...I dunno...it would be nice to see the group grow and get as big as the S8... :D

3. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Problem with that is no one really knows where the tailgate is or if it's really "open" to visitors. I've walked past it a few times when it used to be in the VIP lot and didn't get the impression one could just walk up and crack a beer and be welcome. Outside of BigSoccer, how many people even know where the tailgate is or who V-Army even are?

I think Butter's alterego hit a problem pretty good and it wouldn't take much to solve that. Welcome people who sit around 136-138. Then they might feel comfortable going to the tailgates and returning to the section.

4. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, that's a fine idea! :D

This is pretty much what happened to me, too, when I first came to the tailgate and the section in early 2004. Changing this, more than fliers or flags or anything like that, is what will make the section grow.

5. Superdrew69

Superdrew69 Member

May 9, 2004
    The Ohio State Univ.
    I first started coming to 137 in 2001 when I was 15 and I really didn't know anyone else who was in the group. I knew who a few people were, like Zak, but I really didn't know them. It wasn't until about two years ago that I finally got to know some of the people. I think that most people wouldn't have stuck around as long as I have in that situation. I know that I haven't been doing my part in making sure that anyone new to the section feels like they are welcome. If we can, as a group, be more inviting to people, I think our numbers will definatly rise(although probably not as much as Nick thinks ;) )

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ZING! This guy's really nailed it, and is the epitome of what I've been saying all along.. We need to make it seem welcome.

There's a difference between saying "yeah, everyone is welcome" and physically showing everyone that they're welcome. We could make this a good offseason for the supporters if we band together. I just don't know exactly anymore who we've got left. We need some to stand up, and I know we talked about this at some of the later 'gates this past season, but soon may be the time to start doing some action.

7. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone make a banner that says something like "Welcome to the North end supporter's group's Pre- game tailgate for all Crew fans" and hang it up every game in the same location.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. From what I'm told there used to be one.. We'll just have to make a new one, and get the word out.

This offseason is where we see stuff either coming together or staying like they were last season..

And hey, for next season, let's all hope we never have room to drape the City of Columbus flag over the section like this:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/varmyonline/detail?.dir=d254&.dnm=1173.jpg&.src=ph
    Ouch.

:D

See, even years ago I mentioned this contention of mine and a certain Crew fan disagreed with me, stating the section was very much a welcoming section.. I'm a bit glad to see others felt along the same lines as I had.

This past season, I really made it a point to introduce myself to as many in the section as I could.. And I think the more people do this, the better.

The more one feels included and in a community/friendly environment/real fans surrounded by, the more I think the section as a whole and the tailgate will draw people back.

I still contend that Bigsoccer could be a real key in keeping supporters together. For instance, look at the DC boards. Those supporters use those boards to their benefit. As should we, as should we.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a similar post a while back.

Fact is, we had a huge banner when we were tailgaiting in the VIP lot, a few years ago. What happened to it?

I wonder if we could get two poles similar to the ones photographed below? Then maybe we could hang the banner between the two poles way above the ground for added visibility.

[​IMG]

10. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's basically what you do every game, so if you really want to draw people to the section, like some of us do, you might have to stop yelling obcenities about Tony Meola screwing his sister for 90 minutes. The day that happens is also the day that I spit rhymes like whoa.

11. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll get one from me, too. So, that's a couple beers on the house. Find 2 more new friends and you've got a buzz goin' before the game. That's halfway to public drunkenness.

Seriously, I urge you to come check us out again. I'd be more than happy to introduce myself and help introduce you to the rest of the group.

12. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    So where'd you guys get the V-Army scarves?

13. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who actually chant.

And know chants.

:D

16. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't even see this post until this thread popped back up. I assume they are still available?

17. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    yup. I THINK it's the same guy that does the Sam's Army scarves if you're interested in those too.

18. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know...

How much a Sam's Army scarf is...and...what are the different design options with those?

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I -think- there's only the one design. It should be $25 max.

20. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    That sounds low, Mike?