What do YOU want from a supporters club?

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by RoleModel83, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    that's what I was thinking too. Why would you knock something that's already fragile when for the first time in a while it's showing signs of growth?

2. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    Who has photos of it? I'd love to see what I missed.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's the Crew forum, would we expect any less?

4. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    very true. I should have picked up on that by now

5. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, I have not been this season for a multitude of reasons. I can give you a quick synopsis of reasons, if you want, just let me know and I'll PM you about it. Don't think, however, that I have not been simply because of a lack of desire to be there. Sure I hate Greg and the situation the team is in, but I still love the agony of every fcuking game and the comradery of 137.

Then again, you held out your support and didn't attend for quite a long time and you live in the same city as the team, so I don't see that you should be slinging mud my direction.

As for trying to tear down fragile growth (ripman), I'm not... You can still take actions to further that improvement and that growth even after last weekend's growth. It is, however, naive to just sit there and hope that things will continue to improve just by willing it to do so. It just seems like deja vu of the past when things are down and out and one game has a good turn out, so people decide to continue ignoring the real problems at hand and allow things to slow degenerate once again. It's been a vial cycle and I was only hoping to remind people that there was still work to be done, not rain on everybody's sunny day.

My bad, guess I just had a poor approach and poor execution.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being sarcastic. Pick up on it next time.

First off, Zak's just being an a** about KK. Pick up on that next time, too.

As for knocking, I think KK's post was sincere and valid. I doubt he was trying to "knock" anything..

Just because Legion04 decides that this week he's going to compliment V-Army, doesn't mean that next week he won't sling mud V-army's way.

There are still a lot of flaws in the Northend, and KK's right in the fact that one decent match(trust me it was only decent.. I realize I was only in the 137 for the first half, but I've got to say it may have been the one of the worst first halves that I've stood for the entire season.. I remember looking around me and everyone seemed to be chatting, rather than chanting.. this was for good periods of that first half)

Over-exagerating sometimes seems to be Legion04's tune, and I won't hop onboard. I tell it as I see it, Lord knows I do.

In all honesty, I don't think you owe anyone an explanation.. No one's on trial here.

7. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    sorry Chels, we all can't be as smart as you are all the time.

8. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Why shouldn't people be allowed to give themselves a pat on the back? That's all I'm saying. KK really did come off as quite snide, whether that was his intent or not, that exactly how it sounded.

Either way, it's neither here nor there, lets just wish the people in 137 continued sucess.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, improvement does deserve recognition, and you're right, I did come off as quite snide, but only on 1 comment IMO. It's might fault cuz I took a swing at your "organic" comments from earlier. I guess my intentions were sincere but at the end it came off being churlish and cynical. Again, as I said above, my bad, sorry for distracting the heart of my post with a few poorly placed words. Back OT.

Nice post Chels, and thanks for at least showing me that somebody understood the intent of my post. You phrased it much better then I did. I wish 137 the best, even if I can only be there in spirit.

10. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to take pictures of the project we did, but we got there late, so I couldn't arrange anything with anyone.

We will be doing it again against San Jose this Saturday if you guys really liked it. ;) We're also going to try and release 4 dosen black and gold balloons as we hold up the jacquards.

V-Army, if you guys do something like this, or do something "special" it could really look cool. Our respective projects would compliment each other.

Just a thought... :D

Mike, if you're reading this thread, Legion has (as of now) 2 people going to Chicago (Patrick and myself). We'll try and get more.

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhat the North End vision?

12. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Keep it up guys, saw you on TV last night.

13. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    What channel were we on? I saw them filming but never knew who it was.

14. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on CrewTV, of course!

15. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in that clip...black Crew jersey, sunglasses, drum, and blue Zenit Saint-Petersburg scarf (which I later tied around my head :) ).

16. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try to make it a Crew scarf next time around, eh?;)

17. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Perhaps it only due to the fact he hadn't been home in 2 1/2 days.

18. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as an outsider (or at least as one who was absent for five seasons), I think the current make-up the North End is fairly organic as it is. Because of the distance between Akron and Columbus, I'm not going to be able to get to every game. However, I felt comfortable walking into V-Army a few months ago and, believe it or not, they're one of the chief reasons I keep coming back.

I'd love to have a huge supporters club as well. Back in the 1999 season, the North End was rocking with chanters, singers, etc. A big part of that was the guys from ShadowBox theatre. I know I've been out of the loop, so could somebody tell me what happened to the guys that used to ride shotgun?

In my mind, a supporters club need be nothing more than V-Army and/or the Legion as currently configured. Chanting, tailgating and singing are THE reasons to be a soccer fan. Would I like to see more done? Of course, but better to celebrate what we are than lament for what we could be.

I think part of the problem with some of the Columbus fans may simply come down to turnover. Most of V-Army is still in its 20s so if we can stay put, we grow from there.

Just my thoughts and I haven't been privy to the goings-on the last few seasons.

Keep in mind also the whole team's outlook should be better now that Greg is gone.

19. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, my sister was wearing my only Crew scarf. I did bring it, she wore it though, don't worry...too much. :rolleyes:

20. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a banner or huge canvas as such
    [​IMG]

21. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How abotu real ultimate ninja power?

22. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    you should model it after successes.. like se's and barra brava. and all supporter groups should sit together.. i hate how in every town except dc the supporters sit all in different sections.. do the keg idea. find a way to advertise. I'm sure there are many crazy young people in columbus who would love to drink beer on a saturday afternoon... as long as it doesnt cost six bucks for a 12 oz can.

or hell just merge all the groups into one entity.. that way share cash flow and all that.

i would join for 20 bucks.. hell i know alot of college kids that would be interested.. on my soccer team.

considering the atmosphere at the usoc match.. i figure not everybody is sleeping in columbus..

advertising doesnt have to be expensive either.. just put flyers in a bunch of bars.. like.. "want to get drunk on a saturday afternoon, bitch and moan, and have a kick ass time, free keg with membership. support your crew, support columbus."

something like that.. probably be more effective.

23. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for bringing back old dead threads, but I just joined here. I think that the flyer idea is a good one. I mean, even if it's putting little flyer ads on the ad boards that you look at while using the urinal at Quaker Steak or BW3. Start grass-roots then move upwards.

24. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, also, you have to hit the local hispanic populace. If you can get them on board, you have something. Unlike DC or Chicago, the problem you run into here, is that everyone likes OSU football and Crew soccer is perceived as a nice "family night out" kind of thing. I tried recruiting someone to come to a game and try the 'end out, but he just laughed when I mentioned the Crew. That's not the image we want.

Grassroots is exactly what we have to do. I just talk to people, show them pictures and they find it quite interesting, now we just need to get them out here. To be honest, to an extent, this stuff has really taken me over. I talk about it to everyone and try and get them interested. Word of mouth is such a great way to get people interested too! Talk to co-workers and stuff, tell them about it, bring in pics. That's how this stuff is going to spread. I've helped to convert a few people who never liked soccer into Crew fans. If I can do it, you certainly can.

25. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    I'm going to be a season ticket holder next year and I got a few soccer friends interested down at my college. I showed them some pics as well. My college is about 2 hours and 30 minutes away. But, they all like soccer as much as I do. About four of us. So, you might have four here.

Are you guys thinking about doing a membership thing for next year? I'm going to England this fall semester. In four days I will be on the plane. I plan on going to alot of games and playing alot to. If I find any good ideas over their, I will share.

btw, you guys have a website? I have made websites before. For my local high school football team, soccer team, a football site that was pretty successful for the district, a legion baseball site all for money in high school. Really, it's pretty easy. Takes about a day and isn't hard to maintain. I just kept using the same format. So the first website took about a week.. and the rest about a good four hours. I haven't done it for a while. But, if anyone's interested and knows html, maybe we can throw some ideas together.