What do you think of Shavar?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by ctsoccer13, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of Shavar Thomas? I'm from CT and watched him play up at UCONN. I loved him up there, but we don't get much coverage of him anymore so I was wondering how you guys would rate him.

2. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    He's big and powerful and has field presence and is good in the air, but seems kind of slow.

3. misterbean17

misterbean17 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Fayetteville, NC
    Solid as a rock

IMO, was our best defender for most of last year

4. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    He's a little slow, and when he came in 30 pounds overweight at the beginning of the season, he got benched. He's since worked his way back into the lineup, and has performed admirably. He's still slow though.

5. wizards girl

wizards girl New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    he's tall and powering which is good for a defender.

but i would have to agree with them on his pace.

....slow.... ;)

6. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I sure hope it wasn't that much weight. That's two "freshman fifteens" in an offseason. You'd have to really work for that. :D Cleetus would be proud.

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I agree. Slow.

But I like him in there with Jimmy, Nick and Jose. My ideal backline with the options we've got right now.

8. wizards girl

wizards girl New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    agreed. :rolleyes:

9. hartley

hartley Member

Since when is a tall, powerful central defender supposed to be fast too?

Jim Curtain comes to mind. He is also slow of pace. But positions himself well and uses his stature and power to get the job done.

Shavar doesn't need to be fast. He may also have that Jamaican deception thing going. He may just look a bit slower than he really is. That's not to say he's fast. Just not that slow.

10. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds as if he's working out well for you guys. I'm glad. We could have used him at UCONN for another year though. In college he was pretty much the same. Dominant in the air, yet a little slow.

11. jmanuwiz

jmanuwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Lawrence
    He deserves to be in the starting XI each day except when KC is playing against L. Donovan. If I can remember right, the reason he was benched last year was his one weakness, speed, after he was torched time and time again by Donovan. That is why Garcia was moved to the center, for the one reason he was a better match with against the quick, smaller players. However, I believe he is good, with speed the one exception, I think its better to have size and arial skills then speed in the middle, however that is one opinion, but why I believe Shavar is a good starter.

12. wizards girl

wizards girl New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    his speed definantly showed as freddy flew past him.
    but freddy flew past everyone so he shouldn't feel bad. :rolleyes:

13. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Haha, you even stuck up for Diego Walsh in another thread. :p

14. hartley

hartley Member

That's funny. I saw Freddy beat Shavar once when Thomas went for a tackle well outside the area. Other than that, I saw Freddy speed down the sideline, but not actually get past Shavar. And the one time in the second half when Adu tried to speed ARAOUND him, Shavar cut off the ball and sent it out of touch.

Freddy was good running in a straight line, but he never got around the bigger Shavar Thomas. He may be slower than others. But he gives no ground. Good showing.

15. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing, Thomas did a good job of staying a step or two away from Adu when faced up 1v1 with him.

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Don't get me wrong, I think Shavar plays well. I just think he's slow. And he's slow even for a large central defender. That lack of speed in the back will hurt a team at some point. If Nick is out for a game for some reason, we'd be very vulnerable to speed.

17. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen Brian Roberts play?

PS. Nick is not that fast either, I would say he slightly above average for someone of his frame & build. He might look faster than Conrad & Thomas but match him with someone similar like Gutierrez and things even out quite a bit.

18. BigLarr

BigLarr Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shuffle Shuffle Shuffle

Shavar is the Wizards most underratted player. A solid smooth operator who is damn near impossible to beat. He looks slower than he is as he shuffles around the field but he always gets the job done. This year with Shavar on the bench we have a 2.00 GAA. When he plays we have a .92 GAA.

19. A_Bomb

A_Bomb New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    Re: Shuffle Shuffle Shuffle

Amen, brother.

20. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shavar's tackle where Freddy ran around him had very little to do with speed & a lot to do with Shavar overcomitting. He ran straight at Freddy and lunged in feet first. I think half the players in the league should be able to take a touch around that.

21. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    What? Nick's fast. He's not blazing, but for a defender the guy is fast. Over the years he's made many saving tackles where a forward was behind him and he caught up to them.

22. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Nick has the best "closing" or "recovery" speed in the league. Seriously, the dude can book it. And he's incredible at catching up if he gets beat.

23. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree there. "Best" in this context is saying more than I think you mean.

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    No, I don't think it is. I am pretty sure Chad means it, and I agree.

There's two types of fast. Run a 40 fast and game speed. When Nick is put in a situation, he's probably one of the fastest defenders in the league. Does that mean if you lined up all the defenders in the league he'd win a sprint, I don't think so. But it means he can catch up with forwards that are behind him better than most, if not all, the defenders in the league.

But this thread isn't about Nick. Shavar is still slow, no matter what angle you look at it from.