What do you think of our temp homes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by athletics68, Aug 29, 2007.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another example of why this speading our games out a little is in the long run a great idea. The sharks sure don't have attendance issues 15 years on. And have fans from all over. We need to have the same type of vision.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have? Only A's rumors I'd ever heard were the A's to Vegas or Portland rumors for the last 5 years before Wolff bought the team. Then it was all Fremont...

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Speaking of Sacramento, I remember supporting these teams!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They could have left the state but didn't and A's fans still bitch about the move.

5. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No Knights? :(

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And still rightfully retained its San Jose Sharks team-name and identity. :)

Honestly, I can understand both sides of the "playing a few games in Sacramento the next two seasons" debate (though I don't understand where the "What if the Earthquakes stay in Sacramento permanently?" notion came from :confused: ).

On the one hand, it'd certainly extend the San Jose Earthquakes brand further out (the San Jose Sharks actually played 1-2 "home games" a season in Sacramento's Arco Arena in the team's early years). On the other hand, it really is a long haul both there and back, made particularly worse considering that exhibitions and other non-league games are usually played in the middle of the week.

But like I mentioned earlier, I really do hope that Earthquakes Soccer, LLC arranges a train schedule with both Caltrain (for San Jose Earthquakes fans in SF and the rest of the Peninsula, and also for fans from as far south as Gilroy and Santa Cruz) as well as Amtrak (for San Jose Earthquakes fans from Oakland and the rest of the East Bay, and even from as far as Sacramento and Roseville), as well as the aforementioned shuttle service, particularly for when The Ep opens.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many don't. Infact when Cisco Field opens I'd wager the majority won't. And if a few do... good riddance. Oakland deserves what they've gotten after how they treated the A's. And San Jose will no doubt provide a number of fresh new fans with big wallets.

8. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fremont is actually a great compromise IMHO. Still in the East Bay, still in Alameda county, but close enough to San Jose, which is where they really would have moved if they could. Not being able to move to SJ was probably a blessing for the Earthquakes. The renderings of Cisco Field and the surrounding area look amazing. I was glad to see that they are going in the complete opposite direction of AT&T Park (old school) by going high tech.

Not sure on all the details, but from what I've read, Jerry Brown basically didn't care that the A's were moving and didn't do anything to try to keep them in Oakland.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. The area that was desired for a new A's stadium is one that was designated for low-income housing. Other than that, there was no place in Oakland suitable for a stadium. I don't think it was just the then-mayor who was opposed.

10. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

It far more likely that something will be worked out with CalTrain than with Amtrak. Never say never, but "unlikely" is still appropriate.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't recall as I was living in Europe but wasn't it AEG who snubbed a proposed Fremont soccer park a few years back?

12. acreach

acreach New Member

Oct 25, 2001
    Sort of...The Fremont City Council was interested in speaking with Quakes (and using the area where the A's are gonna be) to perhaps build a stadium there. Some dick-heed from AEG came to the City Council meeting and in about 5 mins trashed the deal. He basically said that the City need to spend about 100K up front for a feasability study....Fremont said no-way, and that was that.

13. Zungazan

Zungazan New Member

Feb 3, 2001
    CA
    There are lots of Earthquakes fans from all over Northern California. It would be cool if they had Earthquakes party busses that departed from these spots and pickup people along the way and maybe even serve food and drinks!

Sacramento
    Santa Rosa
    Stockton
    Monterrey

We could party on the way then sleep on the way back!

Forget weeknight games though

-- Earthquakes Soccer Club of Northern California --

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely true. The land that they'd had HOK Sport plan the stadium for in downtown Oakland was actually given to one of Browns buddies as a political favor. Then they offered the A's half of a plot of land that is now the low income housing but the A's would have had to pay for it with no way to off set the cost. The third option was north of the Coliseum, but the city wouldn't help clear the land owners so that fell through as well.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why they like Wolff in Fremont. He's paying for the studies and the employees to do the studies. The guy pays his way quite well.

16. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like the idea. :)

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes. Trashed again by AEG.

18. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so if the Quakes are playing at Buck Shaw, what kind of a stadium is it? how does it compare to Spartan? freeway access? seating configs? quality?

i've been to the SCU campus, but not sure if it's close to the actual university or not.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on the SCU campus next to the main entrance. It's alot smaller than Spartan Stadium as it currently holds between 6,800 and 8,400 fans depending on the current config. It's seating areas are akin to the grandstand areas of Spartan, ie: gold color metal benches. Currently it only has 2 bathrooms and concession stands at the east and west sides of the pitch, with the main grandstand running from the west side end line around to the northeast corner of the pitch.

As it is set up now there are some "club" seats on the south side of the field but those would likely be removed and replaced with a larger temp or permenant grandstand. The stadium also has a decent scoreboard with a black and white video board, but no jumbotron.

As for the pitch, it's top notch as SCU maintains it very well for their soccer teams. Added plus over Spartan is that Buck Shaw is a single use stadium. It only hosts soccer and the pitch reflects that.

As for access it's far better than Spartan. Freeway access is available from 101 via De La Cruz Blvd, or 880 via the Alameda to El Camino. It also is across the street from the Santa Clara Caltrain station so rail access and the Lightrail connector bus are available.

http://santaclarabroncos.cstv.com/school-bio/sacl-buckshaw-stadium.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Shaw_Stadium

This image shows an older config as the baseball field was still there at the time as you can see by the diamond's outline. But it's now single use and does have some small grandstands in what used to be the baseball field's center field on the south side of the pitch. The dugouts in this picture have also been removed at last check. Also if you check the SCU link they still list it as a dry venue, that isn't the case anymore. SCU has had it's liquor license for several years and unfortunately that page hasn't been updated in 6 or 7 years.

[​IMG]

20. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    It's much smaller than Spartan. The access is not any better, in fact, probably not as good. One advantage to Buck Shaw Stadium is that it is directly across the street from the Santa Clara Transportation Depot which includes CalTrain. One would hope that the Quakes management would try to schedule games that match up well with CalTrain. Also, that transportation hub is the terminus for County Transit Bus 10 which connects to North First St. light rail, via the airport. That is another possible situation that might be worked out with public transit.

We are not yet aware of the exact plans of Santa Clara University regarding permanent stadium improvements, although we do know that these improvements are on the table. This could be a real win/win situation for both the Quakes and SCU. Lew Wolff could be very helpful to the school as he goes about bringing the stadium up to a minimum level for MLS play. It is conceivable that some of the money he spends could be for long term improvements. That is money that the school does not have at this point. I can easily see the facility being remodeled into a venue with 8 or 10K permanent seats, new restrooms and concessions. An additional 4 to 5K of temp seating would work great for what the Quakes need.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ever since SCU started dominating college soccer in the early 90's, the only game the school really cares about is soccer as their football program (featuring the history of Dan Pastorini, Doug Cosby & Brent Jones) are a thing of the past.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. darkstar10990

darkstar10990 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont understand the logic in SCU. its nothing against them, but i just cant fathom how an MLS team could EVER play a normal game in a place that sits 7,000 if your lucky

When it comes down to my top 2, i pick McAfee and Stanford

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How many seats do we really need for an MLS match? If Chelsea fit the bill for brand new locker rooms at UCLA which they only used for maybe two weeks and which the school are now using, I'm sure Lew or whomever can afford another 7000 temporary and/or permanent bleacher grandstands that could be either removed or retracted. When the Quakes are done with them, the school can use them I'm sure.

24. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they will play at SCU but they will expand it to at least 10000. A small expansion like that could be easily handled by the Quakes. Bigger games like the scumbags (both LA and Houston) as well as international friendlies will be at Stanford or Oakland. One thing is for sure and that is we will know soon.

25. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I suspect that they'll expand between 10-15k with added restrooms (port-o-potties perhaps?) and concessions. It won't be ideal, but it will be intimate.