What do you think of our temp homes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by athletics68, Aug 29, 2007.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Raley is a lot more soccer friendly. Capacity is only 11k, but even established teams have trouble getting that much for US Open Cup games and filling that would be a great accomplishment in a city 2 hours from the team's hometown.

2. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    The Quakes belong to San Jose. Period. I hope they will play as close to the core fan base as possible in the transition years. Sacramento is a good market for another MLS team eventually. Sac is professional sports starved. The WNBA Monarchs, and even the professional tennis team the Capitols, get first page (often above the fold) spots in the Sac Bee sports section. There are no good soccer venues in Sac however. The UCD stadium has fake grass and seats only 9 to 11K. Davis is considered far to many in Sac. Raley Field is great for baseball but terrible for soccer in my opinion. Again, it only seats about 11k or so. Hornet stadium is decent in terms of seating capacity and grass surface but I don't know if Sac State is easier to work with than SJ State. Support for using public money to replace Arco Arena for a team as popular as the Kings is also not there.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As much as I'd love to see Sacramento fans out at the Quakes matches, I seriously doubt there would be many or even 500 fans from that the central valley coming to San Jose for home games. As long as I've supported soccer I can't ever remember ever seeing or meeting any one fan from out there. Since 1974, the fan base has been from the south bay.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We've never met.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's what they're trying to change. The south bay alone won't be enough. We need people from SF, Sac, Oakland etc... to come to games as well. And the only way for them to get interested in the product it to see it. And 500 may seem small, but 500 come and enjoy themselves and tell 500... etc... etc....

7. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I don't know you, either. We'll have to meet next season....

8. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    UCD might be better in the future when additional seating is added, which will probably happen soon, but the local paper had an article yesterday claiming the new artificial field is 30 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature, and it was 104 yesterday. Yikes!

9. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    If I remember correctly, the first year of MLS there was somewhere around 500 folks coming from the central valley to Clash games. I knew at least 10 personally, most of whom didn't renew the next season because the quality on the field wasn't high enough to overcome the drive. I was a sucker for real, live matches and continued to come down.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

10. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the Sharks get a lot of out of towners? It seems like they have a solid fan base within San Jose and the South Bay

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you did indeed continue to come down.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

12. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have several friends in SF and on the peninsula that are Sharks season ticket holders so I think they come from all over the bay. They are the only hockey team in town.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The San Jose Sharks does have a solid fan base within San José and the South Bay, but I do know of many Sharks season-ticket holders from SF and the Peninsula, and even a sizable amount from Oakland and the East Bay.

I'm not surprised at all, considering that the Sharks advertise/market/promote very well throughout the Bay Area and has worked with Caltrain and (I think) Amtrak to make attending Sharks games as easy as possible from all around the Bay Area (including shuttle service), much like the SF Giants has done for games at AT&T Park.

The San Jose Earthquakes will have to be at least as accommodating if not moreso, particularly when The [Corporate name] Epicenter at San José opens in 2010.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

14. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Also, the Sharks started at the Cow Palace and retained many of those fans when the team moved to SJ.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No problem! We'll hang out at the Brit!
    In either San Jose, Alamaden, Aptos or Cupertino.....

16. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Sounds like a plan, but I hope my other team beats Roma in the Champions League again...

17. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was one hell of a beating they gave them last year!

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If this guy comes thru , we'll see some postive results in the CL! I hope!

[​IMG]

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you don't get to see all the games, your not going to buy any? :(

This is only for one maybe two seasons.

I see your point though, I just don't think it is a majority position.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and he's making a big assumption that any of the game in Sacramento are going to be season ticket or even in-season games. I find it much more likely they'll be exhibitions or tournament games. No season games.

21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well no, he's reacting to a suggestion I made that the Sac games could also be regular season games, 1 or 2 a month (4 or 5 games in a 15 game season).

I think they could do that for the first, second or both seasons before a permanent home is built. (In addition to the exhibitions or tournament games)

Put together an ACE train pass with a season ticket package and you might have something people going to a Sac game may be attracted to after the 'Quakes settle in next the SJC.

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They'd have to do something radical on the ace train - as it only goes to Stockton. Stockton to Sac is a pretty long walk! :D

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why not drill hole thru the mountains? It would only take 1/2 housr if that were the case and easier than going up and over or all the way around...

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying that if they make the season tickets less attractive, they will sell fewer of them. Additionally, if season tickets do not include a full home schedule, they will cost less and thus bring in less revenue for those that they do sell.

Why start off badly?

You think a majority of season-ticket holders want there to be 1/3 of the home schedule in Sacramento?

25. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What if the Quakes end up in Sacramento? ;)

Not all that far fetched...there have been "A's to Sac" rumors for years.