What do you think about mexican food?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by vfb_fan, Dec 7, 2007.

1. vfb_fan

vfb_fan Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Have you ever tried mexican food like:

• chilaquiles (tortilla with green chilli sauce)
    • chalupas(tortilla with lettuce,radish and chilli)
    • tacos
    If i remember more i'll tell you, but what mexican food have you tried?

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've had all three, as have most people who live in SoCal.

chilaquiles i have eaten had a red sauce and cheese, though green is also known -- and it's chile, not chilli

chalupas are a bit like tacos, and they have meat, pork or chicken usually. the word in spanish refers to a boat, so the dish is supposed to resemble a shallow boat that is used on lakes, like Xochimilco.

chiles rellenos are stuffed chiles, battered with cheese inside. the kind of chile used is mostly the poblano variety. it's a green chile, about the length of your palm, at the most.

3. vfb_fan

vfb_fan Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Man all of mexican dishes are delicious

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I can't remember trying something I didn't like! Good tamales are hard to beat.

5. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Wait till you have a burrito! Your in for a treat.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not really that crazy about tamales - or burritos!, but love Mexican food.

7. vfb_fan

vfb_fan Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wish a burrito now!!

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Mexican food. Grew up in California and got spoiled. Didn't know how much till I moved back East.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like hamburgesas Y papas fritas.

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is a small chain called Taco Bell,,,,greatest mexican food ever;)

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree, especially about the tamales. I thought I had found the best place around... been going there for years. But then I stumbled on this little hole in the wall place in my neighborhood...best tamales I've ever had! They wrap them in banana leaves so they stay moist. So nummies! Wish I had some now!

12. tundrafunk

tundrafunk Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    [youtube]9WV1VHIehZQ[/youtube]

Tacos Rule!

13. somnambulist

somnambulist Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Finest Mexican cuisine out there. :p

14. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Excuse me? :confused::eek:

Doesn't actually come close. And most Mexicans only see a burrito as an American invention. Unless you go to a roll your eye's touristy hole and ask for a "burrito", expect to be given the finger.

Great country/people (has it's 50/50 side but as long as you're not American)

Beautiful food, tequila, beer

Beautiful Women.

Most important, even more so than everything else, great music.

I would love to see more Mexican people migrate to Australia.

Great country.

15. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Taco Bell's Five Ingredients Combined In Totally New Way

LOUISVILLE, KY–With great fanfare Monday, Taco Bell unveiled the Grandito, an exciting new permutation of refried beans, ground beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce, and a corn tortilla. "You've never tasted Taco Bell's five ingredients combined quite like this," Taco Bell CEO Walter Berenyi said. "The revolutionary new Grandito, with its ground beef on top of the cheese but under the beans, is configured unlike anything you've ever eaten here at Taco Bell." The fast-food chain made waves earlier this year with its introduction of the Zestito, in which the beans are on top of the lettuce, and the Mexiwrap, in which the tortilla is slightly more oblong.

16. somnambulist

somnambulist Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Wow, we have a 'guru of all things Mexican' on our hands... who is apparently terrible at detecting sarcasm.

17. bocephus

bocephus New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Are you kidding me?

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Anyone who doesn't think Mexico is a great country deserves an instant red in my book.

And denigrating Mexican-American cuisine is misguided - especially since much of it is likely innovations by Mexican immigrants. It's not inferior, it's just a different animal. Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, New Mex-Mex can all be great in their own ways.

19. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Have you tried the tamales from the weird flower/soup shop on 4th Ave near the N/R/F stop? I don't love tamales, but those are great.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Is that near 9th Street in Brooklyn? I haven't, but I've since moved to Williamsburg - is it worth a trip? Now I'm curious. I hear there is some good pizza near there that I want to make a trip for too.

21. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Yeah, it's right near the 4th Ave stop on the F. I wouldn't make a special trip entirely for it, but if you're in the area, it's definitely worth going to (the sausage chili is killer as well). For what it's worth, I live off the Carroll F/G stop and ride the extra two stops about once every 2 weeks to go get soup and tamales to bring home.

Is the pizza place Lucali's? If so, it's great, totally worth the trip (it's up there with Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst for the best in Brooklyn IMO) but get there early. It's around the corner from me and there are always about 15 people waiting outside. It seems like a 1 hour wait is standard if you're there much after 6 (when they open). They will take your cell number and give a call when a table opens up, so you could put your name in and go down to Brooklyn Social or Abilene for a drink.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No - not really in the ball park of Lucali's I don't think - although I've heard Lucali's may be dropping a little? I have never been. This place is just a decent neighborhood place.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/462495

I am trying to do a DiFara's run next week when I have a half day at work - can't wait for that.

23. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I believe Mexican whippin boy jmarquez had a great thread a year ago on Mexican food somewhere around this forum.

There is nothing better in this world than digging into some Carne Asada Tacos with red chile, onions and cilantro with a little bit of lemon. Or some nice hot Menudo soup after getting shitfaced the day before :D. OR some good Birria or Barbacoa with rice and corn tortillas.

EDIT:

Here is the thread

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291205

24. vfb_fan

vfb_fan Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And guacamole.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    jmarquez's thread is awesome - and we should probably just shut this one down and keep it going.