what do you think about guatemala and how they would do in the hex?

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by guategol, Nov 21, 2004.

1. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Bro, you are joking us right? We "bought" the second round game in 2002. Must be an inside joke. Please tell me that you are just goofing us... I'm going to assume that you were just kidding unless you say otherwise...

We do appreciate your respect though.

By the way, when did you guys beat Brazil's A team? I don't recall that. I do remember you beating their U-23 Olympic team last Gold Cup (something that we couldn't freaking do even though we had the chance)...

Sorry to hijack my main man's Guategol's thread...

2. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    IMO that is true, Mexico had the cake on this round, US had a hard time, at least on the first 4 games...

3. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah Mexico had it easy, and while I wouldn't say the US struggled with their group, we had a harder time than I expected. Panama is a good young team, I and most US fans didn't expect them to be as good as they were, but then again we still won our group quite easily. Costa Rica had to fight tooth and nail to survive their group, and that's to be expected and not a shot at them. Their group was obviously the hardest, all four of those teams would fare much better in the hex than T&T, IMO, they had no ES or St. Kitts.

4. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Metro Tico does have some valid points. The groupd were based on seeding. I think that was the whole point. Right?

But Toolhead makes some really good points, too.

I could care less if the US isn't favored. All that matters is where we end up. The rest: it's just "blah, blah, blah" But that's the whole point of message boards. Metro Tico has got his opinion. If I had to pick a group winner, I would have to agree with MT. I've been to Azteca. Everyone knows Mexico's record there. They are really hard to beat there. Maybe next year will be our year. The Ticos proved it can be done last WCQ. El Tri is not going to give up too many points there and they will pick up points on the road.

Heart says US. Head says our bitter rivals. Should be fun (as long as we qualify, otherwise I will be disraught).

5. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't think any Tico, Yank, or El Tri fan really cares if they finish first in the hex, what they care about is not finishing fourth or worse. That's where most of this good natured smack is coming from, of the big three who's most likely to slip to fourth place? Personally, I don't see any of the big three falling to 4th, this hex is just too weak. No disrespect to Panama or Guatemala, they both have fine teams, they just don't have the depth to hang over a grueling 10 match hex with the top three.

6. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    We knew as soon as we found out that Mexico was gonna qualify for the hex as soon as we saw that they had to vs little carrabean teams.Sure some carrabean teams are good but i mean come on thast f**** bul crap that they get into such an easy group.Mexico shouold consider themselves lucky cause if they were in other group they would have had it much harder.

7. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Bro, I agree with a lot of what you posted.

But I DO CARE IF THE USA FINISHES FIRST ;)

Bragging rights, ya know. They are great until we get to Germany and have to start all freaking over again.

8. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    who finished first last time?
    i really don't care if US finish first, as long as they make it to '06...

9. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Costa Rica finished first last time.

10. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    ticisia!
    voy a ver cuando viajo para tu pais...yo quise ver EEUU y los ticos pero octubre is too late...

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I will buy some beers for you if you come for the us-cr game....seriously

12. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    esta bien hermanito...me encanta la bavaria...although i ain't too discriminatory on beers, hence my name...

13. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    My friend we beat Brazil A team in the confederations cup in the aztec stadium, rememer?

14. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    undefinedundefinedundefined

Guatamala has a chance to be in Germany. There are three key ingredients to getting to spots 1-4 and winning a play off if they end fourth:

1. Win home games- at least 4 of 5
    2. Ruiz must stay healthy
    3. No major yellow card/red card accumulations for solid players to serve time
    4. Ruiz must stay healthy
    5. No injuries to key midfielders who can set up Ruiz
    6. Ruiz must stay healthy
    7. Steal one game on the road for a win and one for a tie= 16 points and a good shot at fourth place
    8. Ruiz must stay healthy

I watched Canada-Guatamala at Swangard. Guatamala was very professional and took care of business in a Central American way. It didn't hurt having Ruiz. Three good opportunities from Senor Carlos' feet and two goals and a grazed left post. One good opportunity from his head and a ball on top of the net. He is a cold-blooded killer who can single handedly turn tight games into his team's favor. In other words: worth his weight in gold in hard fought, punch-it-out qualifiers.

15. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    My apologies Mr Potter. 1999. I must have blocked that out of my memory because of the extreme trauma of Blanco sticking the dagger into us when I thought that we were "finally" going win in Azteca.

I stand corrected, my friend.

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The problem with comparing Guate in the Hex with previous Guate performances is that you're forgetting who they're competing against for that 4th spot--Panama and T&T.

T&T is going absolutely nowhere. Dead last in the Hex. Count on it.

Panama COULD be better than Guate, but they're really the team I see as finally waking up from the dream and realizing they're way over their heads. Their coach has done an amazing job, though. He's easily Coach of the Region.

Guate are hard-nosed and aren't too overawed by tough opposition.

I have them taking the 4th spot IF Ruiz stays healthy. They seem to have become a bit too dependent upon him, whereas I don't think there's any one player for Panama that could get hurt and ruin their hopes. They seem more a collective when it comes to scoring.

So it's Panama vs. Guate for the fourth spot, in my opinion. The first game in Feb, Guate @ Panama, could go a long way toward determining things, especially with the new head-to-head tiebreaker.

17. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah now try beating our A team outside of Azteca but ofcourse Mexico never does have the balls to go play in Brasil.

18. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Panama could suprise a few people, they should do well in their home games and maybe away to Guatemala too since Guatemala lost to Canada at home and in my opinion Panama is better then Canada

19. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thats where ur wrong because I'm Brazilian and im supporting Panama and Guatemala all the way in the hex and wish Puerto Rico did well also since my girlfriend is haf Puerto Rican, but i do hate the US's team lol..sorry

20. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD

21. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    No problem even the most clever people in the world can make a mistake

I sure miss the days in which blanco was a worthy player.

22. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Dude your fields are crap how can we play there??? plus we've only been invited once and we tied.

08-AUG-93 MACEIO (Brazil) Brazil vs. Mexico 1:1 (0:0) Friendly 1993

serously man you just talk crap, you need to check you facts before you talk,

and this is not the first time it happens.

23. tiCo enfeRmo

tiCo enfeRmo New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    ticoland/gringoland
    what do you think about guatemala?
    i think they are the worst team in the hex

and how they would do in the hex?
    they will finish last

24. Avi_Aimar

Avi_Aimar New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Really, the worst team in the Hex? Vos, abre tus ojos y no seas egoista.
    You will see that this time Guatemala will beat "los Tiquillos" and they will certainly not come in last.

25. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

We'll see what happens next year....chapincillo