what do you think about guatemala and how they would do in the hex?

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by guategol, Nov 21, 2004.

1. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    Guatemala is doin okay right now.i think they need some more practice though.there not at the level they should be at honestly.And are there any players u guys think should be in the national team?Would Guatemala be able to come in 3rd in the hex? :)

2. Aluxito

Aluxito New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    They will do ok, as long as they win all home games, they will be in Germany 2006, but the team needs help.

I will say:

Carlos Fernando Figueroa
    Freddy Alexander Garcia
    Edwin Villatoro (dead killer just like "El Pescadito")
    Henry Medina
    Transito Montepeque (his speed is amazing)
    Dennis Chen
    Luis Swisher

3. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    I didnt get the chance to see them play too many times, but I think they can, and will pull off a 3rd place finish.

4. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    The way they limped into the Hex was not a good sign. They'll compete for the 4th spot. The US and Mexico are way ahead of everybody including Costa Rica.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think fourth place is out of the realm of possiblity.

6. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guatemala is MUCH improved and with Ruiz & Pezzarossi they are VERY dangerous, especially at home. I do believe that 4th place is VERY reasonable.

However, it has been a while since Guatemala has been thisclose to the World Cup (when was the last time they made it to the Hex?) & I wonder if the pressure will get to them.

I wish them luck, mainly because of Ruiz & my Galaxy loyalty, but IMHO Guatemala will fall just short of their goal & finish 5th in the Hex, behind Panama.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Lets just say I am not looking forward to Guatemala vs. U.S. in Guatemala as a U.S. fan. That's the ultimate compliment. I was hoping they wouldn't make it into hex so we wouldn't have to play em there again.

8. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    Huh? Unless I missed a previous match where we played them in their home I really don't think they have a chance. IMO, Arena will not field a bunch of rookies who don't have much experience in extremely important matches abroad for these final games. Donovan, McBride, Bocanegra, Beasley and Eddie Johnson will be running circles around them.

9. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they will just edge out Costa Rica for 3rd place. Don't think they have much of a chance at beating the US or Mexico.

10. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    i agree wit Aluxito they do need dennis chen,freddy garcia,transito montepeque,Carlos Fernando Figueroa, Edwin Villatoro.I havent heard that much of the other guys u mentioned. Which teams do they play for? I think guatemala might come up wit a tie in guatemala vs mexico and a tie wit usa in guatemala.Anybody know what happened to dennis chen?last time i heard he was injured is he still injured?

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    totally disagree

totally agree

Perhaps we are very happy that GUA is there instead of HON.
    Probably 3 easy points in Ricardo Saprissa

12. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    IMO this is how the hex will play out:

1. United States
    2. Guatemala
    3. Mexico
    4. Panama
    5. Costa Rica
    6. Trinidad & Tobago

I think Mexico will be hurt by the fact that they have not had any good competition yet and Costa Rica, I dunno, I still can't get over that they tied Cuba 3-3 in the 2nd round and the only reason they advanced to the semifinals was away goals! Guatemala "limped" into the hex because they locked up their spot so early. Their match against Canada did not even matter, that's how soon they had clinched their spot. USA has been dominating and have not lost a game in the 2006 World Cup yet, so that's why I picked them for #1 (and yes, I know, Mexico is undefeated too, but who has Mexico played? exactaly). I think Panama will keep surprising everyone and will upset Costa Rica to take the 4th spot. T&T... I dunno, I'd like to see them do well and qualify, but I just don't think they could. These guys lost to Northern Ireland and Scotland and whatnot a few months ago. You can't lose to those teams, even if it is a friendly, and go to Germany! :(

13. Aluxito

Aluxito New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Dennis slowly is coming back, now the question is, who do you play Sanabria or Chen?

The other question is Carlos Fernando Figueroa o Mario "Loco" Rodriguez?

My opinion goes with Sanabria and Carlos Figueroa.

14. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    I would go with Dennis Chen and Mario "Loco" Rodriguez but put in Carlos Fernando Figueroa as a sub in the second half.

15. Aluxito

Aluxito New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

That is so funny, because for Guatemala is going to be 3 easy points at home also, Euro-ticos have not won in Guatemala since 1957.

16. Concacaf

Concacaf New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Nürnberg, Germany
    UUFF... ya toca entonces! ;)

17. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    I'm personally not convinced that GUA is going to play well in the Hex. I'm not just hating, either. I have followed GUA since '95. They have good, passionate players but there often seems like their a failure of nerves when they need a crucial result. It's almost like a lack of confidence.

I'm not so sure that they are going to take points in the five games that they play at home. Then the public will turn on them. I'm not sure that they will handle the scutiny or the expectations at home very well.

I also am not so sure that they will take that many points on the road. I think that they can edge out T&T and Panama but I wouldn't be surprised if Panama continued to get the results that they need to steal fourth (that pretty much depends on Panagol--Julio Dely Valdes and definitely Roberto Brown and not falling apart like they did against the US)...

I do think it is a bit ironic and a bit funny that the same guy who felt the need to post "zzzzzzz.zzzzz" on the Digicel/Gold Cup Group D Thread actually cares has the nerve to care what people about Guatemala, let alone start a thread asking what people think. Maybe Guategol was just joking. I don't know. A lot of people would say the same about this thread. I'm glad to see that the posters here have been more respectful in their responses to him than he was a few days ago.

Everone and every team deserves some respect. Especially when they represent a country. Your Guatemala is my USA & Puerto Rico. And a lot of Argentines, Chileans and Brazilians couldn't give rat's @ss about either one when it comes to football. And that's just in our hemisphere...

Just needed to get that off my chest.

Buena suerte a los hermanos chapines. Si, se puede. Echa pa'lante Guatemala.

18. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    thanks for the support yankiboy and the only reason i put zzzzzzz was becasue i was bored out of my mind at that time so yeah.

19. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    oh yeah and sorry about putting zzzzzz to who ever i did.its just i was bored.

20. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    jajaj jejejej jijijiji jojojo jujuju

21. Metro_tico

Metro_tico New Member

Mar 31, 1999

Dude! Come on!
    Who the hell did US play???

Panama.... Almost lost..tied the game in the last minute (the goal was offsides!)

Jamaica.... Almost lost..tied the game in the last minute..

El Salvador....Ok they never stood a chance anyway....

US & Mexico had their ticket to the next round before they even started playing...This was all setup for MEX & US to advance, since there would be no interest if these teams were not in it....The first two groups were gifts to US & MEX and the third group was just a way for them to get rid of two out of the four hardest rivals for US & MEX.

If I had to pick a favorite, just by looking at the numbers I would pick Mexico. I know they had weak opponents, but they blew them out as expected, unlike the US who struggled to beat JAM, ES, and Panama.

22. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Struggled??? I seem to remember clinching our group before the last fixture with a 6-0 ass whumpin' of Panama. Struggled?, so says a Tico fan, who's team struggled with Cuba in the first round, only qualifing for the semi's via the away goals rule.

Man, Mexico was the only team with a cake walk into the hex, sure our group wasn't as tough as the Tico's, but it wasn't a walk in the park either.

23. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    we are forgettin something here, Mexico Beat Guatemala 2-0 in San Antonio and we had the B team. Wasn't group B the hardes of all? and Wasn't Guatemala the leading team a the time and 2nd Place of the group? well with al that they still were ********ed wide open. that's how strong Mexico is and believe me more will come.

I respect the Guatemala team as well as the U.S.A. team, but lets face it, Mexico is the stongest and best team in the region, I believe is the only one that has beaten Brazil's A team in the Concacaf. And as all of you already know, U.S.A. bought the game of the second round in 2002, that's why they won.

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, the Colorado Rapid B team beat Guatemala in a friendly. Either the US should field the Rapids B side in the Hex, the Champines are not that good or friendlies don't mean jack. You decide, but pick one please.

25. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Guategol, 'mano, we're cool.