What do you consider the worst political scandal of your lifetime?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bojendyk, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    How is it a scandal if nothing wrong has been done? 60 % (or more) of the media and the politics forum are liberal so that is why they are talking about it.

Yea that part wasn't for you, but I really dunno about the Iran-Contra it was bad, but umm yea Clinton lied under oath.

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the talk about Hillary Clinton "carpetbagging", one may have forgotten that she was elected by a majority of people in NY state who felt otherwise. Then again, NY has shown a willingness to elect outsiders (RFK in '64).

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She can thank NYC and surrounding areas for her election. That and the fact that Lazio was a terrible candidate.

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Nice try, but that same media wasn't exactly silent about Lewinsky. In fact, if less attention had been paid to Monica, more might have been paid to al Qaeda. Google "wag the dog" and "Sudan" when you have a spare minute.

While walking with my wife last night, I thought about Iran-Contra for the first time in ages. There have been some pretty high-profile scandals since then, but few have equalled Iran-Contra in terms of criminality and breathtaking disregard for ethics. It would be like learning that the President had made arms deals with North Korea to secretly fund Serbians who intended to reignite the war in Kosovo.

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I see your truuuuuuee colors shining through!

I see your true colors, and that's why I love you!

So don't be afraid, to let them show.

Your true colors. True Cooooooolllooooors....

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Child molestation? Nope. Treason? Nope. Mother-raping? Nope. Father-murder? Nope. Father-raping? Nope.

Perjury*, bitches!!

*You're new here, so this is where I point out that the obstruction charge got 5 more votes than perjury. Since approximately 95 senators weren't voting on guilt or innocence, that confirms my personal belief that Clinton was guilty of obstruction but not perjury. Why the wingnuts never get this right is a mystery. I mean, so far as I know, they're equally serious crimes. It's not like writing "perjury" makes Clinton worse than writing "obstruction of justice." But I swear, I've seen Clinton "convicted" of perjury probably 50 times on these boards, and unless prompted, not once convicted of obstruction of justice. I don't get it, I just don't.

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    It's gotta' be Watergate. The President resigned and had to be pardoned. Until we catch the Commander-in-Chief killing orphans in the Oval Office, that will be hard to beat....

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Oh look, ITN cloned himself. How ironic...

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iran-Contra, no doubt.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the rep reset ridded you of your half dozen red nipples.

11. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    So wait just a minute. When there is a Democratic scandal that can actually be called a scandal in the white house the media spends too much time on it. When there is a Republican who may have committed a crime, but hasn't to our knowledge yet he should be fired. I see how it is. :rolleyes:

12. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Notice how I said one of the worst. Not the mother effing worst, but I said one of the worst.

13. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    What you talking about?

14. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Cute.

15. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I can't follow your argument here. Buy a writing style book and study it up.

Better yet, go outside and play. It's too nice of a day to spend inside by a computer.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, some of us are "working".

What? :D

17. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Yea it did get a little screwed up, but just forget it. I am never going to win an argument being a white male Christian American in a world dominated by liberals.

18. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    No, you're never going to win an argument when you use crap logic.

19. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, so go back to your "Jesus Was a Skinhead" coloring books.

20. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In my lifetime, Iran-Contra by a mile. But I was born in 1982, so that excludes the Gulf of Tonkin incident. In my mind it's worse than the Bush administration's actions because it set the precedent for them.

21. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Iraq War. Hands Down. No Contest.

The President and Vice President of the United States use post-9/11 international sympathy and domestic paranoia to sell a pre-planned invasion of a wholly un-related sovereign nation, albeit with a despotic and murderous leader.

To sell this invasion they settle on two strategies as the best arguments to win public support:
    1) Linking Iraq to al Qaeda and the attacks of 9/11
    ...which the Vice-President did in countless public speaking engagements and then denied he ever even suggested a link in a nationally televised vice presidential debate; and

2) The threat of Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction.
    They sell this argument largely by the President claiming Iraq bought uranium from Niger -- a claim based on known forged documents;

And by his National Security Advisor claiming aluminum tubes bought by Iraq could be used to construct nuclear weapons -- tubes that were cut similar to missiles previously manufactured by Iraq and tubes and that according to one of the leading centrifuge experts "would be highly unlikely" that they would be used in a centrifuge.

When Joseph Wilson (who coincidentally was hailed as a "true American Hero" by George Bush the First for standing up to Saddam Hussein as the senior US Diplomat in Operation Desert Shield) had the temerity to publicy contradict the false claim about uranium from Niger which he was sent specifically to investigate, Wilson was retaliated against by the Bush II Whitehouse by leaking his wife's name and the fact that she was a CIA operative to the press -- which is a federal crime.

As icing:
    Vice President Cheney claimed we would be greeted in Iraq as liberators. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld claimed the war could take a matter of months. Now he says it could take 12 years.

There was no plan for an insurgency. There was no plan for winning the peace. There was no plan for a turnover of power. There was only a plan to secure the oil fields.

Because of all of this:
    More than 1,700 US Soldiers have lost their lives.
    Estimates of Iraqi civilian casualties run from 10,000 to 20,000.
    Civilians and police died at a rate of more than 800 a month between August and May.

I still can't believe Clinton was impeached for lying about a blow job.

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrison Stadium in NJ, and the sex around it. :p

I'll go w/ Iran-Contra for now, simply because the whole Iraq debacle had the support of Congress.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America, the only country in the world where the majority can cry about it's minority status.

24. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I keep wanting to write a response to this, but this "oh poor me, I'm a white male Christian American" garbage is making me so angry that I'd be unable to write a response that wouldn't get me a yellow card. What I really want to do is go all Roy Keane on your ass, but you're just a kid.

Get off of your cross. Nobody mentioned anything about race, color, creed, or nationality.

25. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Teapot Dome.

You too may one day be this old.

Edit: (Im not old, I'm 37...)