What do you consider the worst political scandal of your lifetime?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bojendyk, Jul 14, 2005.

1. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    While Lewinsky and the recent Rove deal have been pretty good, is there really any competition with Iran-Contra? Not THAT was a god damn scandal!

Thoughts?

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watergate, definitely.

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Teapot Dome!

That's right, bitches, I'm 85 years old!

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Watergate wasn't bad, but can you really beat brokering an arms deal with a terrorist-sponsoring country and avowed enemy to illegally fund a war in Central America? Iran-Contra had shredded documents, a pretty secretary, and convictions that were overturned on technicalities--a little bit of everything!

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iran-Contra, hands down, for now. That one went all the way up to a President who couldn't recall which shoe went on which foot, or whether he had authorized the deal. He probably had the slickest denial I've ever seen, in an address to the nation from the Oval Office, no less.

Get the full transcript of that speech here...

Say what you want about Bill Clinton's slickness, he doesn't hold a candle to Ronald Reagan's benevolent, grandfatherly innocense.

I was born in '75, so Watergate was probably being resolved about the same time I was being conceived. I guess that keeps it out of the running for me on a technicality...

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by "worst?"

I've written elsewhere that behind treason and accepting bribes, the 3rd most impeachable thing a president could do would be to lie to the American people and Congress to take us to war. So that would be MY answer.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Watergate caused the Nixon's resignation.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Let's define "worst" as a combination of worst outcome and most outrageous evidence of wrong-doing. It should have a good "caught with your pants around your ankles" feel to it, I'd say. For instance, lying about the reasons for waging war on Iraq is a little vague; having your assurances to the American public that you're pursuing diplomacy in Iraq contradicted by a British memo is a bit better.

But whatever definition you want to use is fine with me.

9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this Administration.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bush Doctrine.

11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst Political Scandal?

Hands Down=> Hillary Clinton elected Junior Senator from New York State! After that every politician, live and dead, in our nation's distinguished history, collectively puked for a prolonged period!

12. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Florida, 2000.

13. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my lifetime, it's the lead up to the Iraq war. Definitely. Time will show this to be true, but I don't think people give a ******** nowadays. They'd rather watch American Idol.

14. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Uh, well, you may not have liked that result, and you may have considered her a carpet-bagger (which I don't), but there's no scandal there.

15. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll second that.

edit: A personal favorite, while not a very "sexy" scandal, would be the passage of the Medicare Reform bill and the bribery and procedural shenanigans leading into the vote at 4am.

16. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your diction is a little awkward. Is English your first language? Just curious.

17. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask the residents of upstate New York! They were working on a Secession Constitution the day after the election!!! ;)

18. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Watergate. Iran-Contra. Waco.

19. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    The thread startes should shoot himself for even throwing Rove into this. How is it a scandal if he has done nothing wrong? Sure, saying anything to a reporter that could be considered confidential is wrong, but he did nothing wrong under the law or anything to warrant his dismissal.

Mine is Clinton boning his intern/secretary (does anyone know exactly what the hell she was) then lying on the stand. How can you say Bush is worse than that? He didn't commit one of the worst offenses in purjury.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You're 16. :rolleyes: (Oh! And learn to spell)

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    You're cute . :rolleyes: (Oh! Sorry with a yellow I can't edit my post, but I know it is perjury thanks for caring :D )

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    A) It's premature to put Rove in this because we don't know yet any of the things you are claiming to know as facts

B) Never mind. You're pegged.

23. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    So there's no scandal then? Is that why the media and the politics forum is talking about it, because it's a nonscandal?

You may not think that it should be considered a scandal (you'd be wrong), but to assert that it's not a scandal at all is ridiculous.

I didn't actually say that Bush was worse than that. I said that Iran-Contra was worse than that.

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    To be fair, the thread is about scandals in the reader's lifetime. I think Iran-Contra may pre-date that.

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you wouldn't consider her a carpet-bagger, she didn't set up shop in your state.

As for whether it's a scandal, well it's scandalous how little she's done for NY. She cares more about filling her warchest than helping out her state. At least Schumer does things for NY.