What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Collectors' started by comme, Jul 11, 2008.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Besides watches as a young kid I collected other throphy's.

I took a cane sword off the leader of the Vice Roy youth gang in the 60's.

I got Big Sam's hat. He was the local big time Shylock in Italian Harlem also in the 60s.

I got a few more things during that time period.

I did get rid of them as I got older. Keep these things they have a way of biting you on the Arse sooner or latter. I through them down sewers and the East river.

2. Josephhoops67

Josephhoops67 New Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I collect mainly scottish matchworn shirts I have good pals back home who are former players I have a few shirts for sale or swap
    Danny Wilson's matchworn and signed hearts shirt worn v rangers signed in gold special badge on shirt
    Gary hoopers matchworn shirt v hearts in 2011 signed on back
    Hoopers matchworn champions league boots signed
    Hoopers boots v rangers 2011 worn and signed by him
    Looking for manchester city matchworn shirt signed or any other club matchworn shirts

3. steve666666

steve666666 New Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Cards and boots

4. MISLGrapher

MISLGrapher Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Arlington, TX
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Autographed cards, but also unsigned cards. I mostly go for 1980s and 90s MISL cards but also have a pennant signed by pretty much everyone from the 2002 MISL All-Star teams and Alumni All-Star teams. At least I hope I do: it should hopefully still be in my stuff at my dad's place.

5. tracyhan2

tracyhan2 Member

Real Madrid
    Mar 30, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I collect all kinds of Soccer videos , strong teams photographs and autographs , World soccer magazine .

But comparing with these , I love collecting ancient antiques and coins. ;)

6. Stanko

Stanko New Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hello to everyone! I am collecting HD (720 - 50/60fps) soccer full matches, Champions League, Europa League, Copa America and World Cup Finals...I am desperate 2 matches that i am looking for 4-5 years: 2006 Champions League Final Barcelona - Arsenal (1280x720 50fps or 60fps) and Europa League Final 2010 Atletico Madrid - Fulham (1280x720 50fps or 60fps)...please, if anyone have it, HELP...i have other high quality finals to trade...

7. TicketCollectorNL

TicketCollectorNL New Member

Willem II
    Netherlands
    May 6, 2018
    Hi everyone.
    I am a collector of season tickets / season cards from clubs all over the world. So, it's not about match tickets for every single game but about season tickets.

Do you have any cards? Please contact me or take a look at www.seizoenkaartenverzamelaar.nl

8. FCDfaninzEP

FCDfaninzEP Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 8, 2018
    El Paso, TX
    I collect soccer and basketball cards. Not a big market for soccer cards, but I enjoy them.

9. Roy Kukuk

Roy Kukuk New Member

Hamburg SV , Cavalry FC, Calgary Boomers
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2019
    I collect mainly Ticket stubs/Programs of Hamburg SV, Team Canada (Mens) & Calgary Boomers (NASL). I pretty much collect anything I possibly can of the Boomers as it was just a tremendous memory of my Dad taking me to all the outdoor games back in 1981, he passed away 2 yrs ago and this is kinda therapy if you will plus I just love the game.
    I have collected over 100 Hamburg SV tickets and have them framed in my man cave..
    So iam always looking for tickets/programs that I don't have...glad to have randomly found this site!! Looks very cool!!

10. TicketCollectorNL

TicketCollectorNL New Member

Willem II
    Netherlands
    May 6, 2018
    Hi all. I'm a fanatic collector of season tickets / season cards from clubs all over the world. So, if anyone has some tickets, please contact me :)

I have many match tickets / season cards / season tickets for exchange.

11. mmonje12

mmonje12 New Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 10, 2021
    San Jose, CA
    I collect MLS apparel always looking for Caps/T-shirts and some jerseys especially related to the San Jose Clash! If you have anything please feel free to reply.

12. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The year was 1997. As a father of two young children, a lifelong recreational soccer player, and a season ticket holder to the first-ever Major League Soccer season in 1996, I worked with a local sports card shop to find every card in the first national collection to feature ‘That First MLS Season’, the 1997 Upper Deck MLS collection.

Founded in 1993 as part of the United States' successful bid to host the 1994 FIFA World Cup, the inaugural MLS season took place in 1996 with ten oddly named and uniformed teams. These 1997 Upper Deck cards perfectly captured those 1996 original teams, players, uniforms, logos and vibe of that season. I remember thinking to myself ‘Hey self, imagine having the first set of cards for MLB, NBA, NHL or NFL? Did they even have cards for those first seasons? I wonder if I can find that out on Alta Vista?’ Gotta love 1997.

We managed to find 124 of 125 cards, carefully inspected each one, and slid them into a protective album sheet to stand the test of time. With a fledgling league came meager sales for Upper Deck and their new MLS product. Later that year, they abandoned plans to extend the collection with an additional 50 card base set and more inserts. So unimpressed with soccer cards, Upper Deck cancelled plans to produce MLS cards the following season. ‘Wait, WHAT, there were no cards that feature the 1997 MLS season?’ You are correct sir. Upper Deck eventually returned with an MLS product in 1999. Unfortunately, with that one-year lag, I never regained interest in pursuing additional MLS cards. Other than my baseball cards, my football cards, and my comic books, which my mom threw away in 1967, this was the only card collection I now owned.

Ten years later, Sweet Mother of God, I found an online seller who happened to have my missing holy grail card – the S5 Gold Signature Jorge Campos! My card life was now complete.

Meanwhile, cards began appearing on the PSA Set Registry In 2012, when a collector from Maine published his 51-card base set. Two years later, that same registry member added the first base gold parallel set and two of the insert sets. In 2016, a new registry member from Texas publishes the same two insert sets overtaking the original registry member in the ranking. In 2019, another new registry member from Florida appears with a higher-ranking base and gold base set. Gotta love the Set Registry.

Then IT happened. Twenty-five years after ‘That First MLS Season’, the Great Pandemic Card Corroboree swept across the globe in 2020. I just happen to be sheltering in place as instructed by my government overlords when I rediscovered my old MLS sports memorabilia – a first-year team signed game ball, a first-year Alexi Lalas autographed game jersey, and my complete first-year MLS card collection. Apparently, I was one of 36 million people trying to decide if they should send their sports cards off to PSA for grading.

I scoured YouTube and the PSA Forums to discover how collectors evaluate and ready their cards for grading. While I had hoped to borrow my friend’s electron transmission microscope, I opted for a bench mounted magnifying glass, hi-powered light, and archive gloves. I carefully reviewed each corner, edge, and angle of every surface, grading them on a 1-10 scale in a spreadsheet for every card. Once complete, I readied the entire collection and shipped it coast to coast to sunny downtown Newport Beach on August 15, 2020.

After an astounding 45 weeks, my graded collection finally returned home – where I waited an additional 24 weeks for the last two sets to be added to the Set Registry.

Now you might be asking yourself, were my cards graded on the same scale as yesteryears slabs, given the higher-tech, new grader hiring binge, and the avalanche of cardboard backlog demand pressures, or did those seasoned submitters of long ago simply have a better ‘card-eye’ than this newbie know-nothing first time submitter? We’ll likely never know, but of course we know.

In the end, I’m glad to have made the journey, and look forward to submitting new cards to better my grades, if that ever becomes an affordable option. I’m also grateful to have the only PSA Graded, 125 card, 1997 Upper Deck MLS Collection, featuring 14 Hall of Famers and all five of the rare Gold Signature cards. Happy as well to see the PSA base and PSA base gold sets that were recently sold on eBay for a handsome price. Here’s hoping the new buyer returns to compete in the registry.

As for these cards, they bring back tons of great memories with my soccer playing friends who shared my tickets to those early games, along with meeting so many of the very accessible 1996 players at season ticket holder events, supporter group meetings, and attending the very first MLS Cup championship game at old Foxboro Stadium in a Nor’easter hurricane.

As for MLS, it’s flourishing in its 26th season, with 28 teams –25 in the US and 3 in Canada – expanding to 29 teams in 2023. Soccer’s momentum should build even further as the FIFA World Cup returns to the world stage in 2022 and comes to the US, where it’ll be shared with Canada and Mexico in the summer 2026!

In the ‘things to look forward to’ department -- I have 48 of the 50 base cards, autographed by those 1996 pioneers of American soccer, currently winding their way to PSA for authentication and encapsulation. Patience is a virtue.

Wishing you all the best in your own collectors’ universe!

[​IMG]

SF19 repped this.
  13. Lookingforglasses

Lookingforglasses New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jul 27, 2022
  14. old timer45

old timer45 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Its been a while since I last replied to this thread, so I'd like to update if I may.

I collect old, game used PU rubber (match balls), that were used all around the world in the late 1960s, into the 1970s, and those that made it into the 1980s.

Today, they are extremely hard to find! Most have either been tossed out from being to worn (no longer holding air) or succumbed to "dry rot".

I'd pay up to €1000 for one of these old "rubber" match balls today, If I can find one. because these are for collecting, they can as worn and beat up and they come, and they do not need to hold air(flat). As long as there is not hint of "dry rot", I will take them.

The more people looking for these old footballs (soccer balls), the better my odds of acquiring a few becomes.I wish these didn't get thrown away, but everyday, a few are that I would pay a fortune for.

Attached Files: