What do scouts look for in a player

Discussion in 'Player' started by Roite, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Roite

Roite New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    What do people believe scouts for in a player and if their any semi-pro's or pro's about, what did the scouts that saw them say stood out most?????

2. arcticduane

arcticduane Member

May 1, 2004
    Bradford, England
    i was scouted ( used 2 b at bradford city u13s) n leeds n blackburn r after me because im a strong n fast player. I play up front but also track runners n generally help out my team. Also it helps if u can do something with the ball (i.e long accurate passes n take on players). Its also good if u have 2 feet( i only have 1). But also you musn't try to over do it n lose possesion. :D

3. da_man

da_man Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    You need to have something special about you talent is very notecible but you need to have leadership skills aswell try and encourage your team to do better, make sure you have the scouts attention scream for the ball make the scouts notice that you are on the field and don't be shy to go hard in the game (not to hard though). And one more tip if you score a goal don't make it look like its your first goal ever just celebrate in a way that looks like you score goals everyday.

4. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Basically all you need is Leadership qualities, be able to work as part of a team, have the necessary ability, always know what you're doing with the ball, be confident and work hard! That's what got me through.

5. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago
    They look for the simple things done extremely well (fundamentals, passing, trapping, vision) and consistency. some flair is also needed but only if it benefits the team and isn't for show. They like to see you make an impact, not ball watch and not hide from the play. make hard tackles, make smart decisions. play to your strengths too, dont go try something new if a scout is watching and if you've never done it before.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Being an ex-scout before moving up to a head coaching position I can say with authority there is only one thing scouts look for:

Speed, speed and more speed.

Unless of course you're a keeper. Then all you need is to be really, really tall.

7. ConorM

ConorM New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Thats ****************. Do you mean speed of thought, speed of skill? Because I know many slow players who have been signed.

8. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    From what I have seen...the Reigion Camp coaches like Keepers who can play with the ball at their feet well and players who can play pretty much anywhere. If you can play Fullback and halfback well and not do anything stupid, they will select you. Just play hard and play smart and dont do anything stupid, and you'll have a good chance...

9. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Fast

[​IMG]

Tall

[​IMG]

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Usually the eyes. Also a sense of humor is a must. And they mustn't be afraid to talk about their feelings.

11. Callump

Callump New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    i agree with scotty, but the first thing they look at is your boots, must have flashy ones.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    As a former scout myself, I have to agree.

You can't teach size or speed. You can coach everything else.

13. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He brings up a good point. When was the last time you saw a 5'5" keeper or a player who was slow as molasses.

Ok, besides Neil Ruddock.

The point is, anybody can learn to shoot well with enough training, but scouts tend to look for the best athletes.

14. Jaspero

Jaspero New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Netherlands

lol, whats the positve affect of shiny boots ? towards a scout ?
    if its true what you are saying here why is it that i never been scouted. but i will definately give my some xtra motivation for the next season

15. schumifan89

schumifan89 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Doncaster, England
    this is a wierd way through to the acedemy but.....
    my team won the league very easily (scoring over 200 goals and letting in 6) not losing or drawing a game in 20 games)
    The leeds United acedemy noticed us and invited us down for a game at thorp arch (leeds utd training ground) against their acedemy (my age obviosly) and we won 2-0!
    they picked out 5 players from our team (me one of them) and we are going for trials soon (when the acedemy starts up on July 1st after 6 week break)
    the scout that chose us said we all had speed and we good with the ball at our feet, so i think thats what they are looking for!

16. the8

the8 New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Michigan
    I have had tryouts for the last two days and I think what the scouts looked for in me was to basically bring havoc to the defence. Thats excatly what I did, counter attacks, muscle'n players off the ball etc.

Just play the game making smart decisions and make sure you are heard on the field.

17. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it, you prick.:)

18. ConorM

ConorM New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Well if they were scouting 8 or 9 year olds maybe they would look at speed etc. Surely if they were looking at like 16 year olds ability would be the only factor? You cannot expect to train them to a pro level after that if all they have is speed.

19. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn you Callump! The only reason i read threads here is to see Gohawks' inevitable post about shiny and multicolored boots,
    You ruined the whole thread!! :D

20. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I used to scout for an A-league team and some other club teams.

I looked for quickness in a small space more then speed. Did not have to look for speed because speed jumps out at you if the player really has that kind of speed. I looked for player vision and a great ball touch. I could see that in the first 10 minutes of watching a player.

Those three things got you a practice/s with the team. During those practices you can see if he had a strong will meaning can he push himself to get up when the ball is up, and get behind the ball when we lost the ball, also when he has the ball under pressure does he lose it too much, and other things including can he take coaching points and use them right away.

21. Callump

Callump New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    sorry ill just let u do it next time and ill back you up :)

22. Phieniac

Phieniac New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    He was joking :rolleyes:

23. dex1

dex1 New Member

Mar 27, 2004
    England, Coventry.
    personally they would look for defenders at the 14-16 age because they will have an abundence of midfielders and strikers from younger ages unless someone stands out to be really good then obviously they would pick them, i think they look for vision, strength , skill and being able to get out of tight spots with the ball, and for a defender timing the takle well. it helps if your quick and tall but at this age there going to catch up sooner or later but if your quick and lankey your gonna spend half the game trippin over the ball, dont play dum just play football and move the ball round the pitch and if you lose it try your hardest to get it back, encourage and dont moan. ;)

24. ConorM

ConorM New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Yeah I have seen so many players play like ******** compared to their normal standard, but scouts still picked up that they were good, from movement and vision. They know what they are doing but why are scouts so bad at pro clubs! They don't know a good player until he smacks them in the face whereas every fan with digital TV knows how good they are, I have so many examples of this but am not gonna go through them.

25. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Jorge Campos and Osvaldo Perez are both 5'5.