What did you think of the Earthquakes-Galaxy telecast?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by GersMan, Aug 8, 2002.

1. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought Ley was trying way to hard to be what Berman is for football. He wanted to be known as THE Espn soccer guy. Less annoying than Jack, but also far less knowledgable about the game, IMO.

But to each his own. I can listen to Bretos call games all day long.

PENNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, Ty Keough is very knowledgable about the game but can't....get...a...coherent....thought....out...in...the....time....allotted.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know whether Bretos gets a "spotter" to work the broadcasts and identify the players? It did look like kind of a shoe-string production, so he might have had to work without one - which would explain some of the name issues.

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. It is more a matter of familiarity with the players. He may know all the names, but until you become familiar with a player's sytle it is hard to get it right everytime when sitting in a studio.

5. Duff

Duff New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Max is great...I can't imagine Jack or Ty carrying a game solo.

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Brian, when you get on the phone with the DTV guys (which you'll have to do to jump-start your service), ask them about the EPL package this year. It's now listed as a Saturday/Sunday package on Fox Sports World's website, but typically, I can't get any info on the Directv.com site.

And DON'T sign up for direct bill options unless you have a lot of disposable income ;) They take the money out of your checking account at the beginning of the cycle instead of the payment due date, but you don't get your bill for several days (which of course means unless you spend exactly the same amount each month you don't know how much money you have).

Anyways, enjoy!

7. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That post caused hav-ock to the system

8. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I thought Max was decent. He just takes a little getting used to.

Jack, on the other hand, could not carry a game by himself. In fact, I think I think I would define torture as being forced to listen to him try.

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'll go on record as saying that I am a big Bretos fan..

With that being said, Max really has a busy schedule at FSW and it's pretty obvious that he doesn't follow MLS all that closely.. He had the same problem earlier this year during the Gold Cup when he kept criticizing the USA for only playing "weak" opposition in the run up to the World Cup though friendlies against Italy, Germany and Holland were all on the docket..

A little prep work wouldn't hurt..

On a side note, is it just me or does FSW always screw up the starting lineups and formations?

Last night they had LA in a 4-3-3 (which is correct), but they had Moreno listed as a forward (when he is the defensive midfielder) and Victorine out wide right in midfield (when he is usually the 3rd forward)...

Every time I watch a US game or an Open Cup game, the pregame lineups are ALWAYS wrong...

I know it's nitpicking, but this drives me crazy...

10. Gru88

Gru88 Member

May 27, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they did a good job. I was just happy to watch a MLS game during the week. I have the shootout, but through Dish Network which means I only get games on Saturday. I wish Fox Sports World carried more MLS games.

11. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Funny to hear you say this, because that's exactly the reason so many people like about broadcasts in Spanish....if you actually listen to Telemundo or Univision, alot of the broadcast is all about the announcers being "lathered up".

12. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I wish Andre Cantor or Jorge Ramos would do MLS games instead of "Chessy Jack". Even though Max Bretos stumble on player's names, I give him the benefit of a doubt and did great work on USOC. Over the last season he commentated Coppa Italia, French football, Futbol Argentino (my favorite), UEFA Cup, TFC (CONCACAF) Gold Cup, U.S. Open Cup, worked on Ticket to Asia and some work on Championship Rugby. So it's easy to say that it might be difficult (sometimes) to follow MLS players and other players from around the world.

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Fox was right and you are wrong. Moreno has been playing up top (and did so against SJ) and Victorine has not played at striker this year. Trust me on this one.