what da @$#$ tiger woods says soccer is not physical

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by salvikicks, Aug 16, 2006.

1. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on and on it goes...

2. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    If anyone has a link checkout the Thatcher on Mendez challenge from today's Man City/Portsmouth EPL match-up.

That physical enough for you Tiger??

Seriously though it was a disgusting challenge (not the first time Thatcher has been involved in one of these I recall).

3. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRaS7ffyWg
    Don't say I never give you owt.;)

4. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope his kids receive a Clint Dempsey elbow to the jaw.

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like a set up.

6. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
  7. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall some reporter asked his opinion during the previous WC (2002) and his reply was "wrong sport, this is America" or words to that effect...diminished my respect of him after that. :rolleyes:

8. Sean_94

Sean_94 Member

Dec 29, 2003
    I say big deal about what Tiger said.
    We have a hard enough time overcoming the perception that soccer is not physical among our own participants.
    2 examples:
    1. Last week, I saw an interview of the captain of a minor league pro soccer team tell the "mainstream" sports announcer that he got into soccer because his parents didn't want him to play something physical like football.
    I'm sure that only reinforced to the announcer (who isn't a soccer expert, but did a good interview), or the audience, that soccer is a physical game.
    2. I notice in the youth soccer games I referee, that sometimes it's hard to call a foul without the player thinking he/she did something horribly wrong or you have something against him/her.
    I have to be careful when I say this in a game, but once in a while I just have to say, "It's all right, it's only a foul kids. Forget about it, it's part of the game."
    (Disclaimer: This comment is only followed by when a player overreacts (anger at me, or just plain depressed he/she was called for something) after a minor or incidental foul. Certainly I wouldn't say that after something major or rough.)
    Anyway, the point is, in certain instances we have to get over this non-phyiscal perception without our own sport.

9. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    I swore i'd stop calling people names but to me this proves that TIGER WOODS is an idiot.If this was coming from a real athlete in a real sport it would be a different story.

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Tiger Woods would last longer in the NFL or in a ring with Tyson than he would in a South American League.

11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife's reactions were, "It's not good for someone to have success when they are young...it makes them think they know something," and "A golfer said this? I guess he's never been dropped to the ground with a body check, has he?"

12. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

TIGER WOODS wouldn't last anywhere long except on the golf course or maybe figure skating or ballet.

13. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    Five pages.

Sigh.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Change the number of comments per page. 2 pages.

15. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    You know, maybe MLS can use this to drum up some publicity.

16. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, had to give Tiger some credit, on Sunday he had to hold his own umbrella while playing in the rain. :eek:

17. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    "soccer being" no physical is the worse crap i've heard my whole life.

I remember in high school i was asked to join the wrestling team. I saw how those dudes grab each other like homos. I said "heck no, i am not touchin another man" and i do think the same in american football, the whole men-touching-men freak me out.

soccer is not physical in the way you touch another men, physical is pounching, if tiger woods does want his kid to play physical sports, well see if the kid if tough enough to get into boxing.

soccer is a modern sport, the one that requires skill, the better you are, the more you dont want uneskillfull people to touch you.

really soccer is more about "im the best, you're a nobody, do not touch me"

wrestlin and american football are "physical" i guess, about touchin another men is juts not me.

want to talk about real physical sports, talk to me about boxin so ill give you some respect.

freddy adu should get some ganstas and kick tigers ass, or maybe mia hamm :D

18. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    If I ever run into Tiger Woods, he'll find out.

19. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    I wonder who would win in a fist fight between Tiger Woods and Landon Donovan

20. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Good question, but I'd take Matt Reis over both of them.

21. BigKeeper

BigKeeper Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to say Donovan. He's small but somewhat built solid and obviously blessed with a good amount of fast twitch muscle fiber.
    Who knows with Woods. It looks like he goes to a country club and does his social workouts but I doubt he is very athletic like Donovan is.
    Now tough character and fight willingness I don't know either one well enough.
    I can't see woods being quick and athletic enough to catch Donovan with a punch. If Donovan holds to his unfortunate rep of being a wuss, he would do every thing in his power to avoid the pain of a punch and is quick enough to counter with a jab that Woods wouldn't see coming.:D

22. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry folks, but Tiger would knock fancy-pants the fcuk out.
    I don't agree with what he said, and it smacks of ignorance, but to say he isn't an athlete smacks of ignorance as well. Tiger swings a golf club with frightening speed, and I'm thinking that turn would foster a mean right cross.
    Most athletes he's played with have said he could have played pretty much any sport he wanted to, but it just so happens he picked up (or, more likely, was handed) a golf club when he was a toddler.
    It doesn't make him any less of a moon-dick for what he said, but I'm just sayin'...Donovan?
    Now Clint Dempsey would be another story.

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree. Guys Just b/c he plays golf, has nothing to do with anything else. He is tall and in good shape, and heard he had a 300lb bench press, so strength isn't an issue.

24. BigKeeper

BigKeeper Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does my 70 year old Uncle with plaid pants. :D Just kidding.

You guys were serious about answering that question?
    I have no earthly idea who would win in a fight between the two.
    The norm is to say the taller, bigger guy but that is not necessarily true in some cases. If the smaller one of the two was trained in Boxing or Martial Arts on the side or is even just a good scrappy fighter, I would go with a somewhat trained fighter.
    I don't know either one, so I wouldn't seriously venture a real guess
    but I wouldn't automatically rule out the smaller guy.
    Don't act like you know the answer unless you really know the two of them personally. I did a little bit of boxing myself. Looks can sometimes be deceiving.

25. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually I think the best course of action would be to organize a steel cage death match between Tiger and Eddie Robinson. I definitely know who would win that one :p Or maybe he could share a prison cell with Jaap Stam for a week..... That would be interesting as well.