What Country Would You Rather Live In?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dammit!, Nov 30, 2004.

1. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    And another vote for Paris in the "city living" category :)

But since I am getting tired of city living anyway, my choice,
    in my "ideal world", is:
    _spring and summer in southern France (preferably south-west)
    _autumn and winter on the sunshine coast (southern Queensland,
    Australia)

2. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    not that i didnt already think that you were blind and dense, but, wow, just wow.

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Actually, I'm seriously curious: if you were going to live somewhere else for a year or two, where would it be?

4. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas.

Or Australia, Ireland, Scotland. Don't know much about Switzerland's politics, but that wouldn't be bad either if the politics were alright.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    City living, Rome. Country living, the Amalfi Coast.

But more than a year, I'd get homesick and if I could afford to live on the Amalfi coast I'd get a place in Monterey, California.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bojendyk=> I'm not interested in leaving! I am happy here! You can be sure it would NOT BE FRANCE if that's what you're asking! I don't know of ANY other nation on earth that has what the UNITED STATES has... THAT IS WHY folks are so desperate to GET INTO THIS NATION!

I do think, though, that once folks leave this country, they should pay to get back in... like a park...charge an entry fee!

IntheNet

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Not enough qualifications were put on this, like, for example, do you have to work, or does Mark Cuban bankroll you for your two year stint? Assuming my destination is somewhere just to take in the sights, intermingle with the locals, and generally have a good time, I have several places in mind.

Costa Rica--nice weather, stable government, friendly people, interesting geography and varying climatic zones, not too expensive, plus I can improve my Spanish there. Australia-- plenty of sights to take in, nice climate, fun-loving, down-to-earth people. Italy--was there in '98, and I still think about it. Food, food, and more food. And the museums, churches (which are really museums), the beautiful countryside, the passionate soccer fans, ahh...

Short stints... Paris--no comment needed; Israel, esp., Jerusalem, the crossroads of the world; the Seychelles have always intrigued me; India--I unfortunately missed out on doing the backpack thing, but I'd still love to see the Taj Mahal, Goa, Cochin, the hill stations.

When I'm really depressed I fantasize that I'm walking on some remote beach on Hokkaido when I'm abducted by North Korean agents. I spend the next three years in solitary confinement somewhere in Pyongyang before the unrelenting campaign of Howard Stern wins my release. My other downer is having to work as a camel poop scooper for three years in Karachi, Pakistan.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Okay, purely hypothetical, then: imagine that a Ted Kennedy/Hillary ticket wins in 2008, and that the Dems regain control of both houses.

I don't know why this matters to me, other than I really don't want to believe that even you are so incurious about the rest of the world.

9. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Man, what the hell are you doing? Do you seriously want more people like ITN roaming Europe?
    If the Ted/Hil ticket wins and he is ready to jump off the cliff, just tell him Colombia is the collest, heppening place all the evangelicals are going to nowadays.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

...err... you are aware that people emigrate to other countries too? Are you even aware there are other countries?

11. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are so many to choose from, but London would be #1 for me. I love the city. Love the area. Love the people. Paris or Prague would be next, both have a rhythym and excitement that is all their own.

12. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    City outside of Germany: Oslo sounds good, or Vienna, but I guess that does not count
    countryside: Toscany, Southern France, New England, in that Order.

About Gun ownership: Don't know if it is that way in other european countries, but here's how it is in germany:
    You have to get a weapons licence to carry anything considered as just a weapon (for example big knifes, firearms, swords etc, but a chainsaw would be outta that even though it could be used as a weapon. Don't know what exactly.)
    Firearms have to be locked up in a save or a closed thing, that nobody can get to it who isn't supposed to. Ammunition has to be somewhere else.
    You are allowed to shoot your gun at a sports club or ina hunting area, nowhere else. But that makes sense, as we have way less forests compared to our number of citizens than US or CA. Don't want to shoot a lonely biker or someone who is walking the dog, do you? It is more complicated to get a hunting pass, but not impossible. And shooting as a sport is not unpopular here, ever read about a Schützenfest? That's like oktoberfest, but in Northern germany and with marching riflemen as the organizers.

And then you could inform yourself about Erfurt for example, where a 18 year old kid did what happened in Columbine High school (with a pump gun and a pistol - legally owned). Gun laws are not much stricter here, just less ppl use them and we don't have the right to carry a gun written down in the constitution... but we still have it.

About country of the free: You get attacked in the US for saying anything against the president or for France, you don't have that in Western Europe, so even though you have free speech, we do have freeer speech ;-)

13. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Are you really not interested in travelling and seeing other countries? Have you no interest in other cultures? I mean you don't have to go to countries that don't have McDonalds or Starbucks - but even Europe is a complete change.....

14. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    The breathtaking ignorance exhibited by this German rivals that of the most blinkered hillbilly in rural Kentucky

15. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think i asked you this in another thread and you never answered. Have you ever been to Europe? Have you been to France? I thought France was absolutely wonderful. And everyone was so friendly. Not an anti-American sentiment to be found. Of course, I didn't act like a spoiled American who thought the world should revolve around me. ;)

I must say I'm not surprised at your answer, though. Most people of your ilk have no inclination to venture out into a world that doesn't share your exact views.

Are you afraid that you might go to another country and actually like it? Afraid there's more to life than church picnics and nascar?

16. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    No you don't. In New York you would be more likely to be attacked for saying you like Bush than for hating him, but people never get attacked for political views.

I don't think I would ever permanently move, but if I had to, Chile is nice, Ireland, Denmark or Germany seem nice too. Canada or Australia would probably be similar. For something different, China might be interesting.

17. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'd move to Salma Hayek's Breastsistan.

[/ich bin ein cleavage]

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan, you really need to fire your writing staff and get better material. I mean, you always had a sure fire humorous, intelligent smart assed comment. Now you are reduced to breast jokes, the last refuge of a floundering comic.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I have read extensively about both but have absolutely no interest in visiting either, especially France, that bastion of ungreatfullness, terrorist sympathy, and European repugnance! Why stray from paradise of these United States? Here in this nation we have 50 varieties of everything and it will take several lifetimes to experience all; why in God's name would I waste time visiting what our Grandfather's and Grandmother's abandoned? I love this nation and wouldn't waste time or my tourist dollar on another nation when there is so much in this nation?

You don't have the faintest idea who I am and what I stand for... until you do such language bespeaks your ugly ignorance! Save it!

Oh? Like immoral gay parades and embarrasing same-sex sham marriages? I'll take normal picnics and races anyday thank you very much!

IntheNet

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not hypothetical that's Sci-Fi drug-induced fantasy!

21. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading about a place does not replace experience. Don't knock it til you've tried it. And who are you to call the people of that country the things that you have without ever having visited their land or experienced their culture?

Honey, I've read plenty of your posts. I think I have a pretty good idea where you stand. And you seem to be the one who is ignorant.

Yes, because all of us liberals participate in same sex marriages. :rolleyes:

22. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think as a conservative I support same sex marriage. So this way all you liberals will run off and enter a same sex marriage while us conseratives continue to breed!

23. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry sugar, some of us really do like the opposite sex. guess you'll have to live with liberal breeders too.

24. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad! I better tell Rove that that part of the plan won't work!

25. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liberal hetero chicks are hawt!