What could this possibly mean for YAs?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Dec 2, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Getting things like trials for youth players or training for pro players is so often about knowing one contact or two. We've seen NUMEROUS TIMES...too many to count actually.....how an American player had ONE CONTACT that was fruitful, and yielded an opportunity that wouldn't have existed.

It is often very unscientific, very irrational (not a liquid exchange market), not very logical....basically, this guy know that guy....will you have a look, blah blah. But if that European team HAS that one or two contact guys looking for them...it can make all the difference in the world.

Ken Cooper to Man. United is a GREAT EXAMPLE OF THIS...hey, did ol' Kenny trial/train/get a youth look at L'Pool? I wonder why? Think hard man.....you want me to give you Renshaw's new BS ID?

You are a twister of truth and you come here to troll all the time looking to get potshots. You somehow shade your arguments in "wow, the Yanks need a voice of reason", when in fact, your arguments are often pretty lazy, not linking any real information (I will GLADLY compare my TOTAL posts to yours here....you never do ANY work to find breaking news, and/or heaven forbid provide some statistical data of note). Nope, just potshots from left field...

Winky, wink wink to ya' :)

2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kids kids kids? Such anger... surely there are better areas to apply this anger. Jri, you keep doing what you are doing. To the other people, if you don't like what someone writes, or how frequently they write, simply ignore it. It really isn't that hard.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm struggling ... the New York Yankees marketing hitch-up?

4. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Keep your day job.

5. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    There are much cheaper ways (relative to the cost of buying a big team) of establishing such contacts. For example, if Kraft wants to, he can pay 10 EPL assistant coaches $100K each. I bet this will lead to many of our players getting training spells with a lot of teams.

6. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you speak from experience?

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I am not saying the Krafts are/are not being cost effective. Don't really care.

If they become part of the ownership group of L'Pool...there will be an increase in the type of contacts that led to a Kenny Cooper going to Man U....

Of course, that seems irrelevant/unimportant to some here....maybe many...but I do think its relevant....these sorts of things are part of the puzzle that really help American soccer....its a player here, a player there making it...

With such a direct connection...I doubt it would just be a one player increase either...

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's nonsense. For one, Liverpool are one of the most "local" clubs in Britain. Your Zak Whitbread? A Woolton lad. Seriously.

For another, the criteria for signing a player is and will always remain whether or not they bring something to the party that a currently local alternative cannot. So until you've got 10- year olds running around with a "I'm Steven Gerrar MK II" aura, we're going to continue shopping in Ormskirk before we try Oregon.

On top of all of that, an investment from America is not going to have the slightest impact on the current playing side of the club. It may not even be something the club pursue at all. It is far more likely to be a case of "thanks for the cheque, get back in touch when you have that marketing deal set up". The only likely impact on young American soccer players of any deal such as this is that more of them will soon be running around in Liverpool shirts.

And finally, there this from Thursday's AGM.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that SAF recently saw an American movie at the cinema. This could be big for us.

IOW, come on folks.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    We got 4 players now at Man U.......(I am including Rossi- who could qualify as a Yank, but chooses Italy selection instead)...

Going back 3 years ago, there were no US players at the club.

Things change.

Maybe one reason why Liverpool has underperformed in recent years vs. the massive years (even including the tremble year) is the stated reliance on locals.

Things change. They just do.....likely they will for L'Pool, one way or another...

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Arf ... yeah. We've underachieved because of the likes of Owen, Gerrard, Fowler, Carragher and McManaman.

Things do change. You're right. Things are always changing, aren't they? Things, I mean? Some would say that is a rather trite observation with no bearing on the topic at hand, but I prefer to simply agree with you that yes, things do indeed change. All the time.

Now, about this idea that investment from some Yank means there will suddenly be millions of Americans (or "Americans" if Zak Whitbread is the prototype) running around Kirkby ...

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Who said 'millions'?

Man, the need for exaggeration just belies the point that you are inflexible here..

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :rolleyes:

OK. "High single figures". Better?

Point stands.

14. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Mmm, exactly.

ManU having 4 Yanks + Liverpool underachieving + American businessman owning L'Pool without any control of the club = Huge influx of Americans at L'Pool.

Was your post even talking about the topic or what?

15. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Why do all these type of threads end up as a Yank-English/Euro pissing contest? Oh, yeah that's right, because of jri. Now jri don't take that seriously, just having some fun, but if there's one poster that defines a YA homer it's you. Not saying that's a bad thing, you just sometimes go "a little overboard". Now back to the topic of the thread:

If Kraft does invest in Liverpool, what does this mean for YA? Not a whole lot, at best Kraft will provide better inroads to the best MLS talent that qualify for work permits. So maybe 'pool will get first shot at players like GAM, Gaven, or Dempsey when they qualify for WP status, but really your talking about getting the first look at one player every other year. At best you can look forward to seeing maybe 2-3 yanks at 'pool at "best".

Now the real reason for Kraft's interest in Liverpool can be sumed up in one word, Stadium. Kraft wants to own the brand new 'pool stadium, he wants all that revenue from consessions, season tickets, luxury boxes, etc. If he gets that and some small % of the team, I think he's a happy camper.

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Except that's not accurate either. Even if he bought Liverpool outirght (which he can't) he would still not own the stadium. Nor would he be entitled to all the revenue from concessions and season tickets and whatnot.

If you want to invest in a football club to make a fast one out of the club itself, then Liverpool is arguably the worst choice on the planet for that plan.

No - his interest is rooted in the brand name. Most specifically, what he could do with that brand name in the US. Emerging market and all that. Entering an emerging market with an established, highly visible and highly recognisable brand is called "good business".

Whoever invests in the club (and it looks increasingly as though it will not be the 'L4' consortium), their primary payout will be in global merchandising, not access to the club's core revenue streams.

17. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    excuse me for being ignorant but what 'U.S emerging market'?

everyone in this thread talks like if the USA is the great new land of opportunity for European Clubs. Do you need to be reminded that probably 90% of the U.S population never heard of liverpool FC? do you need to be reminded that soccer coverage from the media is extremely low, and that they have a hateful agenda against the beautiful game? You all speak like if we were living in Japan (a real emerging market) where people flock to buy beckham shirts. Last thing I heard Beckham was in L.A and walked the streets unnoticed! (except for the mexicans that asked for autographs).

seeing all the empty seats in the last champions world tour makes me think that it will be gone in 2 years, and the so called emergin market will fade again. Not to rain on anyones parade but im just trying to insert some common sense. The only foreign clubs that have any power in the USA are the Mexican teams. We need to worry about mls growing and not a billionare buying a euro club. That will not grow soccer in this country.

18. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Now this would be relevant if you were using this argument 5 years or so ago... but now???

Do you really believe now that the major clubs in Europe don't have significant scouting resources in the US? Especially the EPL?

If this is not the case then how do you explain the influx of US youth into European youth academies? Did these all come about from multiple million-dollar investments from US corporations? Or did they come from the recognition that the US is starting to develop some talent that is worth looking at more thoroughly?

Do you seriously believe that the approx £100M investment that was rumoured would be better spent in Liverpool so maybe, maybe, 5 additional players would be pulled into the 'pool youth academy? Or would it be better if that sort of money was invested in US soccer at grass roots level etc.

Which of these two options would ultimately yield the greater increase in overall talent and progression of the USMNT?

Fine - go ahead and compare total posts and will see who comes out looking like they have some vague clue as to what they are on about. Lets ensure we include variables such as "who can derive the most ludicrous conclusion" and "who applies the greatest hypocrisy in deriding other teams" etc. So go for your life....

And just because I disagree with your generally insanely blinkered warblings does not make me a twister of truth. For example, look how many people have agreed with you here for starters.... :rolleyes:

You should get that nervous twitch looked at - it makes you look as ridiculous as your statements on here imply

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Again? It's wearing thin ...

The one that is bigger this year than it was last year and that will be bigger next year than it was last year. You know ... an emerging market.

Right, so you're not a marketeer. That, my troubled little mate, is what's called "a golden opportunity". Besides which, you're being disingenious (or ignorant, to quote you yourself ...) insomuch as we're hardly talking about tapping the dollars that exist in, say, the "Sunday NFL action after lunch with a couple of bottles of pissy Yank lager" market.

The expat/immigrant market alone is enough to make most European brand managers wet themselves.

Moving from the European market, which is as close to being saturated by football as it is possible to get, to a market where there are significant minorities of soccer enthusiasts who are, to varying degrees, deprived of the sport they love is a massive opportunity. You only have to look at the regularity with which people on these boards moan about coverage and access to soccer to realise that there is a market there.

That's an entirely separate issue that my comments were not related to.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There's actually a considerable amount of soccer/football available on a digital tier TV (above 100 Ch. capacity), where Fox Sports World EPL coverage competes against the ESPN Deportes and Gol TV, in addition to the terrestrial coverage of the Mexican League by the Univision/ Galavision/ Telefutura.

The next expansion of the broadcasting will probably come with the next round of the technological upgrade when the cable & satellite universe expands to 500-700 channels. That will begin to take shape this following year.

21. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    I would say it is a much higher percentage. 10% of the US population is close to 30 million people.