What Club Should I Support?? HELP ME.

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Crowley, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Crowley

Crowley New Member

May 12, 2007
    Edmonton,AB
    Hey .. I am a Canadian who supports Arsenal in the Barclays Premier as my Euro Club and Toronto FC as my Western Club which competes in MLS; I am know branching out to pick ONE Club from the AFC/OFC Regions as an Satellite Club so to speak.

I have been following the A-League over the internet and also like the fact I can have English Commentary and the quality of play is equal with MLS is my opinion. I have narrowed my search to a club from Japan called the Urawa Reds due to amazing fan support and quality on feild play and I will need the Aussies help me to decide what club I should adopt in the Hyundai A-League or whether I should just support the Urawa Reds as My Club from the Far East/Down Under region.

Thanks for the help and all posts are appreciated,
    A Canadian Football Supporter Branching Out.:D

2. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    You cant just roll the dice. Do some research.

If I supported a club in another league I would want a reason to do so.

I reckon you need to have a reason. Geographical pin the tail on the donkey is not a reason.

Hey Z Donkey..... :D

3. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    ALways good to have the interest of a new fan, but yeh you really need a reason - be it the jersey, the success, the town, the crowds, the players. Plus your asking people who already have allegiances and biases towards a team (although i have to say i'm fairly impartial, i'd rather see the game grow overall than have a particular favourite just yet, i sway my support between who needs it and who deserves it)

4. Azzballz the Great

Azzballz the Great New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Sydney
    Just go for the mighty Vics already! :D;)

5. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Too bad you did not say your a toons supporter otherwise I would of told you to support the Jets, a Newcastle united that might have a chance of winning something.

Go for any other team besides Sydney or Melbourne because the turkey slapping between the supporters is unbearable

6. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You should support Queensland of course! ;)

7. ntn1987

ntn1987 New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    how about watch a few more seasons and then lets nature takes its course?:D

8. ozzage

ozzage New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just pick any reason. Similar colours to a team you already follow... like the name... know a cute girl from the city... friend visited there... whatever...

My advice: don't support Melbourne or Sydney. Pick somebody a bit more interesting.

I say support Perth Glory, but that's just because I'm from Perth :p Here's some reason anyway:

We are one of the few teams leftover from the old league (NSL) which was disbanded and replaced by the A-League, so Glory actually has a tiny but of history behind them. We were the most successful team in that league and had the biggest crowds by far.

Since the A-League started we have had lots of problems - our old owner left, we lost our major sponsor, and we were actually run last season by the FFA (Football Federation of Australia) due to their lack of ownership. Under their administration we didn't even spend all of our salary cap!

This season new owners have come in, sponsorship is up, we made the final of the pre-season cup and there is hope and enthusiasm again!

So join the Glory camp and celebrate our rebirth to again be one of Australia's leading clubs!

9. LiamSydneyFC

LiamSydneyFC New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    breif profile on all the clubs to help you choose

Melbourne Victory, one of the two biggest clubs, and attracts over 50000 people to home games against their arch rivals Sydney FC. By far the most supported club, and the richest. The Victory were also the best performing team on the feild last year, with the astute signing of Fred who went to DC united. They have backed last year up with some promising signings, Hernandez and milicivic are two.

Sydney FC,The other "Big" club. A succesful first season winning the championship in front of 42000 fans. Followed by a poor second season. Often referred to by opposition fans as the "Bling" Sydney has a reputation for spending big, on big players, Kazu, Dwight Yorke and Juninho just to name a few. Major rivals of Melbourne they participate in the leagues most passionate matches each year, the Victcorian/New South Wales derby (MelbournevSydney). This season looks far more promising, a new coach with a reputation and some very big siginings, former socceroo tony popavic and juninho.

Queensland Roar a club with a large fan base and a horrible home strip (which fortunatly has been changed for this season). The Roar have been a constant dissapointment to their fans, winning only a couple of home games last season despite only narrowly missing on the playoffs. The Roar have former socceroo coach Frank Farina as their manager. They view Sydney as their main rivals. Expect better things this season.

Newcastle Jets A club noted last year for playing sexy football. However the Jets have their work cut out for them now with the loss of the star player, socceroos internationa Nik Carle. Major rivals with the Central Coast Mariners, the Jets fans are noted to being working class.

Central Coast Mariners The club form the smallest city of only a few hundred thousand, the mariners have constantly punched above their weight, just losing the final two seasons ago to Sydney FC. However recently a lot of money has been poured into the Mariners this season form wealthy investors, enabling the set up of the A-leagues first Youth Academy. Being one of three clubs form the state of NSW their major rivals are Sydney and Newcastle.

Adelaide United the most succesful club as far as results go, coming first in the regular season in two years ago and second on the table last year, yet the championship still eludes the club, giving them the reputation as the A-league chokers. Definatly the youngest first team squad in the A-league, Adelaide has by far the most potential Socceroos in its lineup, Burns, Djite just to name a couple. Their biggest rivalry exists with melbourne due to old state rivalries, and even more so after their shameful grand final experience.

Perth Glory The least succesfull Australian club, did not even have an owner last year, and was easily the worst club on the eye by the end of the year. Things are looking up this year though, new owners and renewed vigour in the club. Perth took out the pre season cup this year.

Wellington Pheonix The Pheonix is a club rising from the ashes of the failed new zealand knights. A nwe City and a New owner the club looked good in preseason, signing 4 south americans. The only non australian club, it is not eligible to play in the Asian champions league.

10. ozzage

ozzage New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Much less biased than mine! Note though that Perth didn't take out the pre-season cup. We lost to Adelaide in the final.

11. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nice profiles Liam.

12. Crowley

Crowley New Member

May 12, 2007
    Edmonton,AB
    Thanks Everybody for your help .. So far Urawa from the J.League are still the frontrunners.. I got a few people who say not to go with Sydney or the Victory, why is that I wonder??

Perth seems like the support is needed but I will have to look at there roster and research more about them. I am not trying to be a Bandwagon jumper here so in my opinion Sydney and Adelaide are out.

Being a new international supporter maybe I should support the new international club from Wellington.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on Perth, Queensland, and Melbourne. Which are my final three. WHY SHOULD I PICK THEM.

I can't support a team called Newcastle United.

13. Crowley

Crowley New Member

May 12, 2007
    Edmonton,AB
    I have been doing some research and have known all the clubs in the A-League pretty much since the beginning but While looking into the 8 clubs successes, fan support and stadiums, Rosters, not kits or i wouldn't include on of the teams LOL ..

The two teams I am narrowed to is the Melbourne Victory and the Queensland Roar. Both Melbourne and Brisbane seem like nice cities.. and the Vics Sheild is rather similar to my Gunners which I like.. So Vics and Queensland Supporters I ask why should I support your Club.

14. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    Insecurity / tall poppy syndrome.

15. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    BULL SH!T THEY ARE THE REINING NSL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!1

16. Crowley

Crowley New Member

May 12, 2007
    Edmonton,AB
    I have been reading and watching videos.. My Club is the Melbourne Victory.. Great Squad, Great Fans, Great Stadium and Great Kit to go along with an Arsenal type Shield. A short but interesting history... Not to mention the club has some interesting rivalries which makes matches interesting to watch.

Where can I find Links to watch live A-League Matches??

17. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Bah!! Suncorp Stadium is a better stadium! ;)

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    :eek: There's no helping some!!! :D

I'm pretty sure there's an A-League wrap show on the US on some channel- dig around in this forum, I'm remember its mentioned somewhere.......:cool:

19. sammydog

sammydog Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Newcastle, Australia
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Shame because the jets played some of the most attractive football last year.

Throw into the mix that the Jets actually have two real local derbies (with Central Coast and Sydney), it makes things interesting.

Outside of newcastle, I really like Brisbane, they played some great looking football in the first two seasons, hopefully farina doesn't hurt their style of play. I thought all they had been lacking was a goal scorer, then they were going to hurt a few teams.

20. LiamSydneyFC

LiamSydneyFC New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    yeh sorry adelaide won the pre season cup :).

If you are trying to choose between those two clubs i would say Queensland Roar, despite their name :D. They have a huge potential market, and room for growth, will be a force in the future, a similar comparison to arsenal in size, if you cound Sydney FC and Melbourne as Man united and Chelsea. Football is new to Queensland on a large scale so they are verr much the underdog.

21. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mate you've made the right choice!!!

The Victory have the largest and most fervent supporter base.
    A cool Guernsey.
    They play attractive football and have an exciting list.
    Have vision for the future.
    Are about to build an awesome new stadium.
    And get to play in Asian Cup next year.

22. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Errr.....I think you mean Asian Champions League! lol

23. Crowley

Crowley New Member

May 12, 2007
    Edmonton,AB
    From everything I've seen, read, and watched. I am really favoring the Victory as my club. They got it all to achieve the AFC Champions League some great players which I am familiar with and a solid, loyal fanbase... What more could you want and It seems like something I'd like to say I'm apart of even If I do live in Western Canada.

The attacking duo of Thompson and Allsopp is explosive and a solid midfeild and defence corps to boot... I'm geared up for the A-League and I think it is an entertaining league you folks have done there.. Get 4 more teams in there,make her a 12 teamer and keep the teams financially sound and the AFC Champions League Trophy will be held by the Aussies every year.

Thanks to everyone who help and gave me the lowdown. I appreciate it.

24. ozzage

ozzage New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A somewhat disappointing decision (you bandwagoner :p) but I'm glad you're supporting the A-League all the same. Hope you enjoy the ride (and with the rest of us) have an enjoyable season.

Just hours to go now really before the season start!!

25. Crowley

Crowley New Member

May 12, 2007
    Edmonton,AB
    HAHAHA.. Well call it what you want but I am keen on the Vics.. Some day I wanna visit Australia.. Watching games might be a challenge due to the 17 hour time difference but I'll do what I can.

Melbourne - 2008 Premiers and Champions! HAHAHA