What Classes are you taking in the Spring?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by The Double, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Computer and Information Systems Major - Semester 2:

Literature and Society
    Business Information Systems
    Matrix Algebra
    Environmental Conservation
    Priciples of Economics II
    Managerial Accounting

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Auditing II
    Advanced Taxation
    Advocacy
    Advanced Corporate Law
    Torts II

3. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    BIO 25 Anatomy and Physiology
    EDBM 170 Intro to Educating English Learners
    HLSC 136 School Health Eduation
    KINS 143 Analysis of Field Sports (Golf, Track n Field, Softball, Soccer) :D
    KINS 147 Analysis of Self Defence
    KINS 140 Analysis of Gymnastics and Tumbling
    KINS 146 Analysis of Aquatics

I think i win the award for most fun semester

4. Andrea_StarLight

Andrea_StarLight New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Brasil

No more fun weekends for you...actually no more fun LOL
    And don't be sad if your friends forget about you :D :D

Okay,this is me

# Social and Intellectual Foundations of Nursing I
    # Analysis and Evaluation of Health Policy
    # Adult Health Nursing ( from 7 am to 1 pm :rolleyes )
    # Nursing Care of Older Adults and Their Families
    # Thanatology
    # Nursing Care of Clients with Episodic
    Health Challenges III

5. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Public Speaking
    Algebra
    Western Civ
    World Lit

World Lit and Western Civ are both fully online courses. Public Speaking and Algebra are both Mon/Wed classes, so I'll only be on campus twice weekly. I'm a commuter student who also works full-time right now. I think this is the last semester that I'll be able to swing that, though.

6. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    That is by far the best semester of all time.

7. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Small Group Communication
    Public Speaking
    Communication Criticism
    Social & Cultural Aspects of Media
    Spanish 2

8. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year I'm studying in Salvador, Brasil at the federal university(UFBA) and my classes are:

-Politics of the Catholic Church
    -Dictatorships and Democracies
    -Liberalism and the State
    -Political Movements in Brasil

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Cinema History II
    Film Theory II
    Shakespeare
    Brief History of Literary
    Race & Ethnicity in Film
    Narrative Theory II

Film Theory is great, and in Cinema History we're starting to hit some really good stuff. Shakespeare is far from my cup of tea (as is most of the incredibly over-pretentious gack written in that era). Brief History of Literary sounds like it could be interesting, but also seems somewhat of a course-filler, which I can't say I am over the moon about, but Race & Ethnicity in Film should be very interesting. Narrative Theory II is the class I am most looking forward too though, since we're covering screenwriing and script development this semester, especially as that is kind of what I'm trying to get into after college.

My whole three year course is here, for anybody interested.

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So in this school, you're only focusing on film classes? you're not required to take any liberal arts classes or any requirements like science, math, diversity studies, etc?
    And how difficult was it getting into this school and how much is it?

11. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    In the UK and Ireland degrees tend to focus only on subjects relating to the degree you are doing.

12. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that I know where billy goes to school, the stalking can begin. :D ;)

13. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It's under the title of 'Film, Literature & Drama' and funny enough, it was incredibly easy to get into and costs far less than American colleges tend to (€4,500 a year, over 3 years - €13,500 total). The thing is, in Ireland colleges tend to be free to go to (the more presitigous ones, anyway) due to gov't funding brought in when basically nobody went to college here. The only problem there is, apart from my college only Trinity (where Joyce and iirc, Yeats went) - and to go there for Film Studies, you need to get 540 of a potential 600 points in the Leaving Cert (a state exam of 6 subjects that determines what colleges you can go to; basically, if you fail every exam of your life and cheat in that to get straight A's, you can go to whatever college you want... so if you don't do well in exams like me [dyspraxia], you're screwed). There is one out in Ballyfermot, but it is very hard to get to and a pretty useless course (as I've heard off some of my lecturers, as well as a neighbour who graduated from there last year).

DBS, where I go, was only about 230 points, so it took a fair bit of stress off knowing I didn't have to kill myself trying to get something that was basically unatainable, and DBS only updated their equipment this year, so the resources there are unbelievable actually, far better than Trinity, barring their library).

A lot of Americans go to Trinity though - a lot. Not that I'm calling you an American or anything :D but if you're interested it's well worth a look (especially as Trinity - as well as DBS and several other colleges - are located right in the middle of Dublin City Centre).

The Central Applications Office website is a good place to get further information.

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    They say you can't stalk a man with no shadow, or a man who understands the meaning of the term '3 thumbs up'...

15. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calculus for Bio Sciences and Biochemistry. Also have a research internship to keep me busy.

16. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Happy to have you back from what seemed like a year-long hiatus billy. :D

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm not fully back yet, the PowerBook isn't due to be fixed until Tuesday/Wednesday. I'm still €200 short of what I need to pay for it (new screens on laptops cost a Quinton goddamn Fortune), and would have won €1,500 had Torquay not equalised with Grimsby in the 89th minute. By next weekend though, I should be back in the big swinging coc... nevermind; I should be around more often again.

18. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have you checked out the brand-spankin-new Man-U NSR forum yet.

19. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I've actually been considering applying to their one year creative writing Masters program. I'm torn between loving how the program is set up, and the fact that I don't know if I'd be able to get a sabbatical at work yet (and poverty).

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I would recommend it, Trinity's literary courses have an extremely high reputation from what I know and the fact that it wouldn't cost you a penny to go there (unless that is only applicable to Irish citizens, a point I am unsure of) would help the financial strains. Also, although it is literally a 2-3 minute walk away from the Liffey Bridge (which seperates north & south Dublin and is basically seen as the absolute heart and hub of the city) it is a campus college I believe, meaning accomodation and travelling expenses would be cut considerably... just make sure you find some cost-efficient but nice places to eat/drink when going out, because doing otherwise can be rather costly. ;)

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I'm not sure about the tuition thing either, but I was under the impression that the whole "free" thing was only for the Irish (and though my real name does have an apostrophe, I'm New York born and bred). After many years on my own and this year on a teacher's salary, I am well used to living a frugal life. One of my other concerns though is that I have a dog. Anyone know the laws/rules pertaining to bringing a dog with you overseas for an extended trip?

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Animals are subject to immigration and quarantine laws at various times and places. My brother-in-law opted to leave his dog home from a six month assignment overseas because of a ninety day quarantine law where he was headed (not Europe, though). Don't leave figuring this one out for the last minute!

23. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Counseling Process
    Principles & Techniques of Individual Therapy

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow, given what you and Toon2 just said, I'm pained to say I feel like sh!T here in America, I've constantly been screwed out of a good education, I've gone through two colleges in three years already and I can't seem to fit in anywhere. I can't even begin my film studies because stupi requirements are taking up too much of my time and stressing me out ontop of it.
    There are specialized schools but they are too expensive and I won't be able to afford them in the long run.
    The American school system is downright laughable in this regard..
    :( :mad:

25. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    You're right about the fees - the government only pays for Irish citizens to attend college. There are different fees for E.U. and non-E.U. students as well as far as I know, although given that I'm in the U.K. system I'm not too sure what the differences are. I don't have a clue about the dog situation, tbh.