What Changes Should Be Made to Salary Budgets?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Paul Berry, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Paul Berry, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    Here's some ideas:

$15-$20 million salary budget.
    $5-$10 million in discretionary spending
    Internal transfer market

Salaries should only include salary and bonuses (no transfer fees)

Maximum salary/cap hit - $1M
    Maximum salary with GAM - $2.5M
    Two designated players per team

Home grown contract salaries don't count towards salary budget
    Increase squad to 34 and allow unlimited movement between MLS and NP teams for reserve/supplemental players
    Increase roster size after NP season like MLB

Teams keep 100% of transfer fees for HGPs and 80% of profit for others
    Transfer income can be used for combination of future salaries and outgoing transfer fees

Exception for up to two academy players from other teams' territories

Just ideas.

3. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of these things already exist like keeping 100% of the sale on homegrowns
    Rumors of U22 players no longer being tied to a DP is the big one right now..
    Going to a pure cap with a floor and a ceiling makes sense.
    DP players not counting towards the cap would be my suggestion.
    Homegrown players first contact not counting and letting teams have an advantage offering more money on the second contract.
    Also just get rid of homegrown territories and let teams recruit just like college.
    The internal sale of players in MLS would also be better than trades.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at Monterrey by comparison, they have 6 players making over a million.

Top salaries Monterrey
    $5.125M
    $1.5M x2
    $1.25M x2
    $1.12M

You can replicate that in MLS with DPs and TAM.

However you then have 6 players earning between max cap hit and $1 million

$0.975M x3
    $0.9M
    $0.85M
    $0.775M

That's depth that you can't currently replicate in MLS.

So increase max cap hit to $1M with a complimentary salary budget increase. Problem solved.

5. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So tomorrow is the day when they meet to finalize the new rules. I can't imagine they'll be seismic.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It would be ironic if they were released at MLS HQ in New York the other day.
    It would have been "seismic."

wantmlsphilly repped this.
  7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If transfer fees weren't counted against the cap, yes, very doable. Matter of fact, excluding transfer fees from the salary cap mechanism would be MLS best upgrade. They wouldn't even need to raise the cap. Just leave it as is but exclude transfer fees.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are excluded from the cap for U-22 players,

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pre-Messi last season, Toronto had the highest payroll at just shy of $26 million, while Montreal had the lowest at $10.5 million, and the average was about $15.5 million.

Set a $30 million cap and a $10 million floor with a 5% annual increase, and get rid of every player spending and acquisition method that has an acronym.

Include a luxury tax over $30 million if you want to get fancy. Just simplify all of it and let teams operate freely.

STR1 repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is regularly forgotten in these discussions is that the vast majority of American players who can realistically help MLS are already in MLS.

So making more money available only helps if you can bring in more/better international players, otherwise the current American players just get paid more.

Paul Berry and jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know. They should do the same with the rest.

12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    MLS/US is different from any other league in terms of domestic players. We have teams play with what would be considered 11 foreigners in any other place yet in MLS some count as "domestic". Any player with a Green card is considered a domestic player for MLS and as per US law. Getting a green card for many MLS foreign players ranges from months to a bit over a year. There have been some exceptions though. In Mexico, for example, a domestic is a Mexican citizen (by birth, by parents if born abroad or by naturalization). Everyone that doesn't meet those requirements is a foreigner. If MLS did the same and said domestic players will only be those that have US citizenship there would be lawsuits, or so that's what has been said would happen if they did that.

"Domestic" players can improve greatly if many of the salary rules restrictions are lifted.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not immediately. Anyone who already qualifies as domestic that would help the league and is likely to come is already here. And some green cards are easy for some players, if the player wants to do the work (see Reynoso). For others based on their origin and their background its significantly harder.

Point is, just lifting the cap isn't an immediate fix if you don't change the international rules. Its still a long-term move, just somewhat faster than the current model.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 Paul Berry, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue Un, Eredivisie, Jupiler League, Liga Portugal, Swiss Super League etc count players from at least 29 different countries as domestic. For France add ex-colonies. La Liga fast tracks Hispanic players and Portugal Brazilians.

There are 107 Brazilians in the Portuguese top-flight.

Brazil's Serie A just increased it's foreign player limit to 9 on the pitch at any time.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well of course. It may take months, one or two years.

Not true. Foreign players that arrived in this past off season, for example, will get a green card sooner or later. They'll count as domestic as soon as they qualify for the green card. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Agree but as I said, there are exceptions. Depends on many factors such as country of origin, how good the team's Immigration lawyers are at filing all the paperwork and how quick the government approves and changes their status to Permanent Legal Residents.

What International rules need to be changed? It's US law and this US law is what helps MLS define and classify a "domestic". Having better cap rules (as some suggested in this thread) would help bring in better players. Those players would eventually stick around, get their green card and count as domestic.

We aren't like Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, Argentina etc where players need to live a minimum of 5 years, apply for citizenship, become citizens of that country and not count as foreigners anymore. In this MLS has a big advantage over many leagues around the world due to US labor laws.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hell yeah.

Are you implying that there's a downside?

JasonMa repped this.
  17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If the Americas had something similar to what the European Union has then, yea, Mexicans, Canadians, Americans, Brazilians etc would all count as domestic in any league here in the Americas. We don't.

Not all Hispanic players qualify. There are certain requirements that will give you that fast track. Having certain last names also helps.

Yes, Brazil increased their foreign limit. Who are foreigners in Brazil? Anyone that isn't a Brazilian citizen.You are either a Brazilian citizen or not, if you are not you count as a foreigner. Try that here in the US see how it goes.

We have teams like Portland that have 6 players that are US citizens in a roster of 30 players. 1 of those 6 US citizens is a Naturalized citizen who has been living in the US since 2011. Bravo is also a citizen but I have no idea if he naturalized or has parents that are USC. Either way, just 6 players out of 30!

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then they don't already count as domestic, and they're already here. Considering my statement was "Anyone who already qualifies as domestic that would help the league and is likely to come is already here" I'm not sure how non-domestic players who are already here refutes that.

The USSF could lift the # of internationals per team cap. (AIUI that rule comes from the USSF, not MLS directly)

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have one or two teams like Portland. That's called cherry picking. But I don't get your point. NYCFC has 14 US born players and one that moved here when he was 3.

Top American clubs have a similar balance of domestic and foreign born players as European leagues.

We can weaken our teams by reducing the number of foreign born players if you like but I don't see how that helps anyone.

20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They can reduce it too it won't make any difference. Green card holders count as domestic and it doesn't take that long to get one. That's never been one of the problems for MLS. The type of quality of foreigners they can bring in is the problem.

Where are you getting from that I have a problem with number of foreigners? I'm saying the opposite. If we had better quality foreigners that count as domestic due to Green cards that would make MLS better.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you intentionally trying to miss my point now? Nobody who MLS signs with any additional money would likely count as domestic when they sign them. Because they don't have a green card yet, no matter how quickly they might get one. The exception would be Americans, but the vast majority of Americans who would improve the league and be willing to join it, regardless of the salary cap, already have.

Any idea that raising the cap on tis own, to take advantage of the Messi effect, will improve the league while he's here is unlikely (unless he extends his contract). There just isn't enough time to raise the cap and find enough better international players to fill the limited slots. On its own its a long-term play, not a short-term "cash in on the Messi effect" one.

22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know some MLS fans defend everything MLS owners do to death but I don't know how exactly is adding more silly ass rules is even defendable at this point. Instead of simplicity they continue to with complexity.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this tweet explicitly about them choosing to not add a "silly rule"?

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that rule wasn't implemented. However its a creative way to reward an older player at the end of his career for his loyalty, without wasting allocation money or a DP slot.

I'd prefer to increase the max cap hit but their not ready for that yet.

They've got rid of the restrictions on the number of U22 players based on the number of DPs, so that should cheer you up.

25. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Haven't add it yet. Hope they don't but if they do they'll go the route of something like; "Icon player" (anyone in team for X amount of years and X age) with salary of TAM range to DP will have a cap hit of $200k or something. Which is exactly what I'm talking about. If they can reduce the cap hit on certain players just do it on the entire roster.

When that rule came out I said that MLS just likes to add restrictions on top of whatever additions they do. Always. Some here on Bigsoccer were trying to argue that the U22-I rule coupled with the DPs was to help MLS improve the rosters. So much for improvement. They saw their mistake and corrected it. Yes, I do like this change. It should have been done from the beginning instead of adding roadblocks and restrictions on it.

But now MLS being MLS did it again. On that new rule change the 4 U22+ 2DP+ $2M GAM is a better option than the 3 U22 + 3 DP option. They are rewarding you if you choose one option over the other one. Just like they did with the U22-I rule. Why not just give everyone $2M extra in GAM and let them decide which of the 2 options they prefer? I know some will defend this 4 U22/2 DP/$2M GAM to death but MLS will eventually just end up giving everyone $2M GAM regardless of the option team goes with. Again, this $2M GAM extra should've just be given to everyone, period.