What category as a soccer fan do you belong to?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by pc4th, Oct 4, 2003.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borrowing from a reply in a thread, I came up with this topic. Let's see how people pull number out of thin air basing on their judgement/observation.

Give a rough unscientific estimate of soccer fans in the United States being a fan of:

1)abroad soccer only
    2)both domestic (though greater in passion) and abroad soccer
    3)both abroad (though greater in passion) and domestic soccer
    4)domestic only

my estimation:

1) about 50%
    2) about 25%
    3) about 23%
    4) about 2%

Yeah, I know, I am pulling these numbers out of thin air, but that is my observation from talking to people, being on Bigsoccer, a poll I did in the FSW forum.

By the way, what category do you belong in?

2. Pebotodi

Pebotodi New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    abroad only

The city I live in the USA has no MLS team, and I don't follow the MLS (other than what I pick up just by reading BS).

From abroad I follow the league from my own home country only. I ocassionally check up on the standings of the Premier league or the Bundesliga, but it's not often enough to be called following it.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Largely an MLS fan. While I follow a few teams abroad, everything else, as "beautiful" and "sophisticated" as they are, is just soccer played over there. Not much point for me.

4. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    MLS Baby - and I defy anyone to come to the HDC and not see that it is one of the prettiest places for a soccer game anywhere.

But if I go to England, I'll see a Premiership game - though frankly, I'd rather go back to Argentina and see a Boca Juniors game. Since I love soccer, though, I like following games on FSW when I can, or Gol TV, which runs through half the leagues on earth.

5. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    Domestic meaning back home in England by the way. Just to clear things up. :)

6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Abroad and domestic, with abroad being greater in passion. I was raised on River Plate, Tottenham and Panathinaikos.

7. footie guy

footie guy New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    London
    i watch mostly domestic, but i am pretty passionate about la liga and serie a and the like.

8. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am passionate about both abroad and domestic soccer. However, I said I was more passionate about domestic soccer because I support my nation's national team!!!!

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Category 2, but with an added wrinkle.

I'm very passionate about MLS and American soccer and American soccer players, over how I follow other leagues.

The wrinkle is that I am based overseas, in Australia. And on top of that, I'm an American living overseas, and one who lived in the States for more than 30 years before moving here.

It's hard sometimes being an American soccer fan in a country where there's still a very heavy European influence, especially when it comes to all things soccer, but somehow I manage. :)

10. realmadrid1086

Apr 29, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mainly support MLS and the MetroStars, but I do enjoy watching the EPL, the Bundesliga, and La Liga. I support Real Madrid and Newcastle United too, but not to the extent that I support the MetroStars.

11. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the domestic league there get televised on a regular basis? Is soccer coverage in general about like it is in the USA?
    My guess is that soccer in Australia is in a similar situation to the USA.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NSL gets zero coverage here, on TV. In the newspapers, even less.

I work for the local newspaper here in Ballarat (for point of reference, Ballarat's about 90 minutes outside of Melbourne), as a sub-editor. I was going over a lot of the Sunday night sports stories, and I asked one of my editorial supervisors whether we were going to be running a brief weekend summary on the NSL, since we were doing the same on the National Basketball League. He gave me a really weird look, saying that there were "much better leagues to cover" in the smaller spaces that we would have to fill.

Generally, soccer coverage here is good-- but only if you define that as coverage of the EPL, and Aussies abroad as well. Other than that, it's very much like the situation back home (which I think is a very astute comparison).

On these boards, we've talked about the Euro-snob factor when it comes to American soccer-- but here in Australia, it's much worse. Between the Euro-snobs, Euro-poseurs and Euro-wannabes, and the Australians themselves, they'll prefer to follow the European leagues before they even consider the NSL.

But having said that, there are MLS teams that can and would run circles around NSL teams. I say that with the perspective of having covered the NSL for an internet site last year.

As for the lack of TV coverage on the NSL and if or how that may change, there's currently a thread on the Oceania boards discussing that: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=75374

Hopefully, that situation will indeed change. But consider this-- for as much whinging as some posters at BigSoccer do about the inadequacies that tend to pop up with the TV coverage on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2, etc., at least there's a good deal of TV coverage of MLS games. We have the polar opposite here, with regard to the NSL.

Yeah, it is. Very much so.

As far as coverage of the domestic product goes, I would compare it to what it was in the USA like pre-MLS, or even pre-1990.

13. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks babytiger2001 for the great answer. Those Eurosnobs are like a plague on the earth that spread everywhere! :)

14. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I try to follow the entire MLS. The game here has improved significantly since the start of the league. Well worth putting up with the frustration early on, as the product is quite good.

I really do enjoy watching the super-stars in Europe, though.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. Answering as unflinching and as honestly as I can about what I've observed here.

And yes, the Euro-snob problem is universal. :(

16. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Ditto for me. Except I support Ajax and Spurs but not nearly as much as the Metros.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I can only go to Rapids games live I like to follow the Rapids and MLS more closely then abroad. However, I do love to play Championship Manager and follow the major euro teams.

18. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I only support (if you could call it that) a foreign team. However, I follow the MLS pretty closely, and if I ever get a local team, I'll support them.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm going to follow the domestic game more when our team in the A-League starts up next year.

For now, I'm on a diet of English, French, and Italian soccer.

20. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    My option isnt in the list...

#1 USMNT
    #2 MLS
    #3 EPL

as William said, being a Yank overseas with almost no chance of watching MLS here is tough.

I do make it a point every Saturday to stay up REALLLLLLLLLY late and listen to the MLS matches on webstream and watch one or 2 on Yahoo Platinum.

In addition to that, I also purposely planned my annual vacation to California to coincide with the opening of Victoria Street and was able to catch the first eight weeks of MLS this season

However I am 10X more interested in the Nats, and would rather see our best players in Europe than in MLS.

Not sure what this makes me though...

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that would put you in my category, my friend... Category 2.

I'm surprised that you don't have any TV coverage of MLS there in Italy. I think MLS is gaining an international foothold bit by bit, and perhaps some other European television markets, in addition to those in the UK, will be conquered.

Here in Australia, we get a game a week courtesy of the ESPN International affiliate in the Pacific Rim, and at this time of year, that's provided that the timeslot is available.

But during the heart of the regular season, it's quite satisfying, and communal, to get up at 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning to prepare breakfast and get ready to watch the live MLS match of the round at 6 a.m... and it's the same game those back home get at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET on a Saturday. And with the same pictures and commentators, too. :)

But like Tree said, audio webcasts and Yahoo Platinum exist as the lifeblood of a fan overseas. It does impact on my bills slightly, specifically with that of my ISP in terms of added downloads, but I gladly pay that money. It's a necessary investment, as far as I'm concerned, and my wife realises this. :)

It's a hard effort keeping up with the soccer-related goings-on back home, but it's well worth it.

22. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    I read "domestic" to mean domestic league i.e. MLS.

I personally am more country first, club second.

re MLS here in Italy: nope. nothing. ever. We don't get any type of ESPN here aside from ESPN Classic and for me to get any other form of EPSN it would cost me 100+ euro per month. Can't afford it.

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good Question

Well, I'm obsessed with the English Premiership...so thats my 1st choice. I mean I will watch 2 sucky clubs play a match where I already know the outcome...that is how nuts I am about the English Premiership!

Just started in on MLS this season (Go Fire) following the SPL via the net(but hard to really enjoy a league/support a club when you never see their matches!)....been watching and following the Eredivisie and Bundesliga this year...but not too educated on the coaches, stadiums, and players. Wish I could see La Liga and Serie A.

24. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a different kind of soccer fan. I ref and follow youth and high school soccer. That's my soccer priority.

When I get a chance, I follow the DM Menace, the KC Wizards, and the US national teams. I also follow Euro soccer (club and national teams) - particularly German and Austrian.

My priorities are definitely youth local, MLS and USA, then Euro and the rest of the world.

Also, I'd rather ref or play, then watch live, then watch on TV. I do tape most all soccer on ESPN2 and watch at my convenience.

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That's a lot, and admittedly pretty steep. I guess I shouldn't complain about my cable bill, comparatively speaking. :eek:

I would consider "domestic" to be the whole ball of wax, eg. MLS + all of the various USA national teams. So that would still qualify you for Category 2, I'm guessing.