What can we expect from FIFA WC 2006

Discussion in 'Games' started by CCSC_STRIKER20, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IGN is not the best site for reviews. Usually if it is from EA it gets an automatic 8.0.

2. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Exaggeration alert.

There's no way this is a "shite job." It's just a game you don't like.

3. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/692/692562p1.html

Still, you've gotta come up with a better reason to bash IGN than
    "they usually rate EA games highly."

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    They do overate easports games... for example...

FIFA 2005 was a ************ game, but they gave it an 8.6

NBA live 05 was a ************ game. Infact, it was a carbon copy of 2004 (which was pretty below par) with slightly better graphics, and they gave it a 8.9

Personally it annoys me that FIFA waste their licenses on such crappy game play. I mean, look at WE. They may not have all the flash but they have substance for those soccer fans who want to play a game that is as close to the real thing as possible.

FIFA always lacks. For one there is always an easy way out to score goals. Wether its running at the defense with an attacking midfielder (works every ********in time) or crosses that can never be cleared, or rebounds. Now apparently in the new version its through balls in the middle of the pitch.

EA have a long way to go.

5. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well, if the standard is bennismalls' opinion, then yes, IGN overrates EA Sports games. So do, umm, several other sources...ten of which gave NBA Live 05 good reviews. http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920477.asp?q=NBA Live 2005

Maybe you're underrating EA Sports games.

On the default difficulty. This doesn't work automatically on the higher difficulty levels.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Nah, I love Madden and Tiger Woods.

But Fifa has disappointed me for the last 4 years. Its almost as if they know people are still going to buy it because of the name brand, so they slack a little.

7. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll notice I said usually. IGN gets most of their money via advertising and that's mostly large video game companies. It seems like they take which company into account on most games. Using gamerankings.com is a much better place to view reviews since it shows several for each game (one of which is IGN.)

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Oddly, Madden is wildly popular and (unlike the FIFA series) has zero competition, yet EA still cranks out quality Madden titles year after year.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Why can Fifa be as realistic as madden?

Im sorry, I know its only a video game, but still you cannot blame me for wanting perfection. :p Ive tasted greatness in Winning Eleven, and I cannot lower my standards for FIFA anymore. The only things that makes me buy FIFA every year, is the license and the number of teams (especially MLS) and the fact that WE comes out in FEB. So I need something to take away the time while wait. ;)

But lets be serious here, If I were FIFA or EASPORTS, I would concede defeat and just rip WE style, but implement EA's licensing, they have nothing to lose and would probably sell more if they had more licensces. Thats another thing about FIFA, the best aspects of the game have nothing to do with how the game is played on the pitch. For example, those unlockable hilights, the music and such.

10. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    this is the fifa tale in the last 3 years:

FIFA 04: Shouldn't even mention this Horrible game, impossible to play online, game "locks" after playing a game online making you restart every time to play another game. The lag in the games is simply horrible. Freestyle control appears.

FIFA 05: Players handle like they are running on mud, making it close to impossible to dribble without the right stick. Shots outside of the box are easily turned into goals. Crosses become as cheap as humanly possible and the play "use the freestyle pass to te corner and then freestyle cross to a lone attacker" it's the favorite among top players. Goalies too dumb they can be scored from midfield.

FIFA 06: EA tries to improve gameplay, but also speeds up the game a lil too much making the field look like a bumper car field. Crosses are still cheap, most of the time meaning a goal. Game goes from 60fps to 30fps when playing online. Shots are predictable and the player can actually tell which ones will go in. Goalies are still stupid always trying to get behind the ball before diving to catch i and their goal kicks can't even get to the midfield. Freestyle is gone at last.

FIFA WC 06: Reports of EA copying Winning Eleven's gameplay, but all they did was copy the control set up. The game is so fast it makes the game feel even more arcade-like. Predictable, simple plays fill the game as passing it's the worst in years. Players ditch the crosses and go for through passes through the center as their favorite way to score. Goalies are as stupid as ever, the example being my goalie running to the post in this play when an attacker is running towards him. Most games online are full of lag. Gameplay is too simple,I finish my WC with Mexico on my second try, i take every prize possible, most goals scored, least goals scored on, best goalie, top scorer, player of the cup, etc.

11. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fifa doesn't have to any of that since they own the licenses and people buy it regardless of how it plays. I'll be picking up WC in a used bin in a couple of months to see how it is. I'll start purchasing new from EA once they get their shit together.

12. 2ndAveFC

2ndAveFC Member

Mar 23, 2004
    LAX
    dude the shadows in this game are ridiculous.

13. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Another thing I cannot understand about this game is the ratings.

Why is the highest overall team rating an 87 (Brazil)? And the highest individual player (that I could find - Adriano) a 92?

What was the point of this? Why not have the "best" team and player(s) rated at least in the high 90s and go from there?

I mean, it doesn't really affect anything in the game, but it just seems stupid that the best team in the game is 87 overall. Why not make Brazil a 97 or 98 and then bump everyone else up once you realized the way you did the ratings didn't have ANY teams in the 90s? It's just... well, what I said: stupid, IMO.

Also I don't know if anyone has tried the "Global Challenge" mode, but they used all current rosters for the "past games". For example, Raul is playing for Spain in the 1982 Northern Ireland vs Spain matchup...

This makes challenges like 1978 Scotland vs Holland impossible because the current Scotland is so ************ compared to the Scotland that actually played (and won) the '78 match. Yet you have to use current Scotland vs current Holland in that scenerio. There are several other ones from past decades where its the same situation.

14. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did that with the current players due to licensing issues. I feel your pain though.

I like the ratings the way you said they are as it allows more flexiiblity with created players.

15. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I knew it was coming...those classic matches wouldn't have the original players from back then.

Very disappointing. I won't touch the global challenge anymore. At least not the classic WC situation ones. :cool:

question: Is Holland fully licensed?

16. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    play on world class difficulty and turn game speed down to slow.

17. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Also this game is absolute terrible when it comes to cards. I played an entire half with a man down and had no idea until near the end when I went to make a sub and saw that one of my players had been sent off (his name was darkened out on the roster list and it showed a red card next to him when I scrolled down to highlight him).

What happened was a hard tackle that caused an injury. All the game did was show the opposing team making a sub and the commentators talked about "the injured player cannot continue". They never showed the ref giving me a red card and there was no pop up that said [Player Name] has been red carded or whatever.

I get yellow cards all the time without knowing it, but this is the first red I've gotten and I had no idea I got it until at least 35 minutes after it happened. They should at least put something on the screen to show there has been a card given if they aren't going to show the ref animation every time.

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Oof, that game sucks, but I still play it because it's the best I have. I can only stand to play it against someone else--one player is just too ************.

19. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    i hardly play one-player...takes a couple of weeks to figure out the CPU's gameplay anyway..

about the speed, i always play with in slow-mode, even though it is just as fast as the normal speed in FIFA 06...the problem is that when i play online if i wanna play any ranked games i must play on normal speed..and that's just a dumb speed to play with..

that and the simple horrible passing, keeps me away from this game..

my friends come to play like once a week, that's the only time i play a game or two..and even then i beat them even though i dont touch the game at all..

20. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend actually complained of a few things.

I played it and liked it, but definitely thought there were some flaws.

But here is what he said, besides some of the stuff already mentioned:

1. If you play as Italy, you have to bring 5 keepers to the WC.

2. If you are Germany or Brazil, and one of your players gets a red card, the next match it shows your starting keeper as a striker in the final roster screen, and a striker in the goalie position. It also shows "Beckenbauer...100" and "Pele....100" in the lineup....and yes, they do play in that game. He thought it was annoying because he wanted to play a fair WC Qualifying.

3.The rosters are so mixed up. Austria has their backup keeper start, he is in the 50s, and the starter is backup, he is in the 80s. He said this is the case with alot of positions and alot of teams, and he had to do alot of the editing on his game to make it look more real. Not impossible to fix, but a definite pain.

All I know is that the FIFA creators need to get their shit together with games like this. These could be real sweet games, and they happen to stumble. I only like Euro 04 because they have Lithuania in it. That game kinda blows though.