What can the WPS and fans do to make next season more successful?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by hula, Jun 11, 2009.

1. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Anybody have any thoughts/ideas on this? What has the WPS done wrong and right so far?

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know it's easy to be critical, so I'll try to keep my opinion short in that vein...

The Good (keep, don't change): webcasts, FSC deal, side TV deals, financial expectations, expansion
    The Bad (good start, needs work): local advertising, local news coverage, international drafting, shirt sponsors
    The Ugly (MUST change greatly): the schedule, the odd mix of parity and not-parity (four points between 2nd & 7th, twelve between 1st & 2nd)

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things they have done right:

1) They did a great job of getting many of the world's best players in the league.

2) They got a major sponsor (PUMA) and a television contract (FSC).

3) They've worked at improving their website.

4) Most of the teams have found ways to creatively market the team and come up with affordable ticket packages.

5) The players have been great about making public appearances, etc.

6) They've tried to use other methods to bring the games to the fans...webcasts, cable telecasts, radio broadcasts.

7) Whether you like it or not, they at least tried to do something differently with respect to the playoffs.

Things they need to do better:

1) Schedule smarter and as much as possible, in line with FIFA. To me, this is one area they really messed up. Make sure that regional rivalries are on weekends, so the visiting teams' fans can make the trip if they want to. Balance the schedule as much as possible. Spread out home games more evenly rather than 4 or 5 in a row. Conflict as little as possible with international schedules. Also, try to balance the national television coverage as much as possible.

2) They need to find a way to market their product that keeps people coming back, rather than it just be a temporary curiosity (and I don't know the answer to that one).

3) They need to make roster rules, trade rules, draft rules, draft procedures, etc. more accessible to the public. First, it would create better understanding of what's going on. Second, it creates interest.

4) Create more corporate partnerships. I know they're trying hard to do this, but it is going to have to get better. Each team really needs to get a jersey sponsor to help revenue flows.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hula asks: What can the fans do to make next season more successful?

Answer: Buy more tickets.

The season isn't over. Let's try to get through Year 1 and make sure there is Year 2. Buy more tickets now.

5. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think obviously, if we could get more coverage in local markets, local TV news, newspapers etc, it would help a lot. Most of my friends when I tell them what I'm doing this weekend cock their head to the side when they hear the word, "Sol Game", like......what is that? I don't think most people even know that there's a pro women's league.
    I know this probably won't change, but--most of the games Ive seen on TV, the cameras are always located on the same side as the crowd. this makes the stadium look empty and therefore potential ticket buyers think, wow that doesn't look like too much fun. whereas, if they actually showed more of the full side of the stadium(at Sol games we're usually half full-ish) people might be more apt to say, "hey that looks like a fun thing to do...lots of other people are going to those womens' games".
    Yes, having each team have a shirt sponsor would help a TON.
    :eek:We're not in danger of not having a 2nd season are we?:eek:

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think that, even if WPS proves unstable and is doomed to fold, I bet they'll wait out through the first three seasons, 1) so as not to do 'worse' than WUSA, and 2) because the FSC deal is three years long.
    But with the way things are going and the planning put in to WPS, I highly doubt we have to worry about WPS joining the alphabet soup of failed US soccer ideas anytime soon.

7. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    that's what I thought too......especially with the expansion teams starting up next season. I guess we will see after the playoffs, etc.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think they have done a lot of things right. They just have to stay the course. Players must make sure that they sign autographs and be available to the public. Do training sessions at local club levels. The team FOses must work hard to get parts of every community, gender, etc. out to games.
    Contact local TV/radio stations and make sure that scores are given.

Somehow try to convince soccer fans that womens soccer is just as entertaining, skilled, etc. as the men and sometimes even better. LA Sol is a much better product then the Galaxy at this time, IMO.

The recession will be over one day and I feel that better days are coming.

9. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    If you are thinking... "well, I don't have a local team to go to.. it's too far, my favorite player didn't get allocated to the team that is the closest in location to me", then don't buy tickets, BUT buy merchandise, that is also a big source of revenue and helps finance the teams.

I've been to 4 games of the FCGP already and probably seen 3-5 people (counting me) wearing the team's jersey, a few more with scarfs or foam claws. Granted the jersey is expensive, so then buy a cap, a replica, a scarf or whatever.

People already get free sh*t when they go to the games, PAY for something besides the ticket, support your team and the league even if you can't go.

Subscribe to the FSC channel; granted, we were streaming the games online in justin.tv before the league offered them, but if you want MORE games televised, FSC needs to see that is financially viable.

10. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Some of us have been hanging out at justin.tv because it's been the only option besides the abyssmal Matchtracker :eek:. There are people from France, the UK, Germany, Sweden, Brazil... In other words, people from countries that don't get FSC and couldn't pay for it if their lives depended on it.

What surprises me is that WPS and/or the clubs don't seem to see us as a wider source of revenue. Even the non-FSC matches that have been opened up in some way are generally either broadcast locally or webcast in the US. If one of us "outsiders" asks why, it's put down to "licensing issues"; as if there's competition for these broadcasts where we are :rolleyes:.

When the German football federation (DFB) did a simultaneous webcast of three end of season league games last weekend, they got viewers from 29 countries. Their webcasts were free to watch and ended up being really good PR for German football, but I'd venture to say that many (if not most) people would have been only too happy to cough up some cash on a pay per view basis rather than not see the matches at all. A Swedish company has latched on to the possibilities and does "pay per view" webcasts from some matches that the TV broadcasters aren't interested in. Each webcast costs about as much as your average match ticket, but it's perfect for away matches, for people who don't live close to their favourite team, or just for people who want to see women's football in general and aren't happy with the dearth of matches shown on TV.

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, with PUMA, size is a problem. If they made something my size, I would buy it. I bought the one thing they had that would fit me, a cap.

I've actually seen quite a few women especially that have on Athletica t-shirts and jerseys.

12. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Totally agree with that! I would buy my favorite player's jersey in a heartbeat if it was something larger than what would fit a child!! And be happy to pay the price. But no luck in that regard! Had to go with a cheaper team t-shirt. It's not right.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an excellent point. People can't buy stuff to support a team if it doesn't fit. Not all women are tiny, either.

14. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Oh Smulan, I meant the people on US territory that can add the FSC channel to their current TV package.

15. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I had not thought about that, but come to mention it, they are all pretty small....oh and they all say Marta. LOL:(

16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too true! BUT there are places you can go to that will customize a jersey for you. Now, will it be the official lettering...?! I will look into that for you with a place I know, but I don't think WPS came up with special lettering for the teams. I don't see how either Puma or the league would invest in that.

So, yeah, I've been thinking of getting a Bock or Abily jersey made up for me...

17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good comments here and I'm glad to see that most people here recognize that the good far outweighs the bad as far as how the league has done. From what I've heard (not just on this thread), most people who remember the WUSA feel the play is already better than WUSA was to start with. And we all know that it should only get better (as long as the refereeing is sane and we don't lose too many stars to injuries).

I feel the teams can do a little more to make the game more friendly to the adult/young adult sports fan, as I've said on several occasions. But rather than repeat that, I'd like to focus on what we, the fans, can do. New sports require the passion of its small fanbase in order to survive. I think it's fair to ask, how can we show our passion? how can we get off our duff and help this league make it? I mean, for those of us who care enough that we'll be genuinely bummed if it doesn't.

Go to games. Buy more tickets. That's certainly number one, but that also goes without saying.

I think the next most important thing we can do besides spend money on tickets and merchandise is to make the game a more fun social event - something we enjoy, and enjoy sharing with others, and that will in turn make it more inviting for newcomers. What I'm saying is most women's soccer fans or would-be fans just aren't going to have a lot of friends that're going to be into it. They aren't going to have a lot of friends to go to games with. We're a scattered bunch and there's not that many of us to start with. And when people can't find someone to go to a game with, most of them will stop going and then there's fewer of us still.

An example, maybe not the best one, some of us fans should really make an effort to get together for viewing parties and to encourage others to join us. In every WPS city there should be a soccer bar or two where you can expect to find women's soccer fans watching when there's a game. It's a place where fans can meet each other, become acquainted, and it provides one small extra bit of visibility for the sport.

It isn't for everyone but for some of us that should be one way of having that passion for the game. For some of us that passion needs to be about getting off our duffs and doing something. Doing something fun but doing something.

18. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Amen to that! So.....where are we watching the game on Saturday then?:D

19. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I know you did, but I also know that some people you might call the Powers That Be hang around here. Just reminding them that international fans are a market left untapped.

20. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read somewhere that it won't be broadcast live in LA because of a schedule conflict. That also saves me any embarrassment that might result from trying to figure out what all this new digital TV is all about (channel 4.4?).

21. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Actually, the WPS shirt printing is a special lettering and not just something generic, or off the shelf. They even have their little shield at the bottom of the numbers, a la, MLS or EPL. That being said, I'm sure there are people out there who wouldn't mind generic lettering.

I know Peter Wilt popped up a month or two ago and said that personalized Chicago shirts (I'd assume it would be the official printing) could be had if you called them directly or if you ordered them through the Chicago soccer site, iirc.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if customized shirts can be had through other teams as well. I'm a bit of a collector myself, so I'd much rather have (authentic) personalized than a non-printed shirt.

22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected! I'm going to ask one place I get jerseys from.

As for BonnieLass - at least you have no need to hurry. Ain't no Norwegians here...

(sorry. cheap shot.)

23. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonnie, I know the Freedom sells authentic personalized jerseys at the game. I believe they have them for most of the players even the lesser known ones like Sauerbrunn. Of course, I don't know if you can order them online and I am not sure if you want any of the Freedom jerseys....I am gonna guess that the Bompastor jersey is not the first one on your list. If there is one you want I can check with my contact in the FO to see if they can send you one since you can't buy them online.

24. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is quite on topic but what the heck...

I've noticed a fair number of young Hispanics are quite receptive to women's soccer here in the US. For example, these are guys who work at stores, bars that I go to.

Is this a segment of the population that needs to be targeted? What about the weekend recreation soccer leagues around Los Angeles, for example - in city parks?

But let me note a couple things: 1) disposable income, of course, is an issue, and 2) I've had to work on them a bit. What I mean is this - the first time I bring it up there's always a wise guy who makes cracks about women's sports. I try to take it in stride and occasionally bring it up in conversation. After a while, a couple other guys realize I don't care what the wiseguys think and I'm quite a fan and they start asking questions, they start showing their interest. At this point, one of them may say he saw some of a game or a highlight of Marta or something and says how impressed he was. You see what's going on here - he can do this because he's not afraid of being ridiculed anymore. I mean the wiseguys still are wiseguys but it doesn't matter anymore, it's just a harmless joke.

In this way, I've noticed that there's a decent percentage of young Hispanics who like soccer and have a latent interest in women's soccer. (Hey, it doesn't hurt that some of the women are darn pretty, does it?) What we can do about it, I don't know. I've given extra tickets to a couple of them and they enjoyed it. Whether they'll become fans and buy tickets on their own, who knows?

25. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I actually noticed at the last Sol home game lots of young latino guys clamoring for autographs after the game, I eavesdropped a little, and they all seemed really stoked to be meeting the players and having them sign their shirts and stuff.
    On the personalized shirt note.....I have seen over the years footage at a number of clubs where there's a hot iron(whatever you call it) machine in the club shop printing names on shirts. Newcastle comes to mind for some reason, with lines to print King Kev or "Owen" shirts when they signed Owen. It would be great to have something like that, with or without "official" lettering. Maybe something we could collectively pitch to the WPS for next season. I for one, would LOVE an Abily away jersey. I have about 5 friends who want Abily jerseys as well.