What can be done to revive interest in the Rhinos?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by RobtheAggie, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Damn! Always wanted the Rhinos in MLS! Hopefully they get there one day.

2. RocFan14

RocFan14 New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Most Rochester fans expect higher quality than division-3, you'll always get the diehard 3k-4k fans but to average more than that we need to be in either NASL or MLS. The first thing to do is get a new owner, because the current owner is just a sports fan having fun running a soccer team and loving being affiliated with NE of MLS because then he doesn't have to pay more money for salaries. We need an owner with deeper pockets who is passionate about soccer.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I think that NASL will merge with USL Pro in about 5 years.

4. RocFan14

RocFan14 New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Thanks, we in Rochester still hope so too one day, but the general consensus is that we missed our window of opportunity, our only hope now is that MLS grows to the point that a small market like Rochester would be viable and allow us to be the Green Bay of the MLS, but that would mean having an owner other than the one we have now. There was some talk this year that the current owner, Rob Clark, who inherited the team from the bank whose loans the previous Rhinos owners defaulted, would have made the defaulted money back for the bank and and so would now sell the team because there's no reason for the bank to still own the team, unfortunately it seems Clark has grown accustomed to owning the team as a hobby but the problem is that he has no real interest or passion for soccer, he's just a hockey/lacrosse fan who inherited a soccer team, and the Rhinos being in USLPRO and affiliated with MLS' New England is perfect for him because it means less money he has to spend on the team. I believe I speak for a lot of other Rochesterians in that although we will always support the Rhinos, we are growing more and more disenchanted with the lower quality of play in USLPRO, so our only hope is for a new owner one day to buy the team and take us to a more competitive league like the NASL.

Cyclonis and brentgoulet repped this.
  5. soccerFrank

soccerFrank Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Agreed.
    If you heard Pat Ercoli on KITG radio show last night, the Rhino's are just a part of Adirondack Sports groups priorities along with concerts,hs football,lacrosse,events,women's soccer,events,etc that produce revenue. And with a small staff (assuming thats still the case) its tough to focus just on the Rhino's. And they were pleased with the affiliation with the Revs, etc...He mentioned at the end of the segment for the ROC community to support the club to keep soccer alive here. I think he's working the best he can with the budget he's given and I know many people have given him an ear full of what they think about soccer's demise in this city. So just expect the same old same old next season with this club on auto pilot.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, other thantom Golisano, who else in the area would have deep enough pockets to really run the team like it would need to be?

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take that bet right now. $100. Thanksgiving 2019. Won't happen.

The Irish Rover and Blando13 repped this.