What Bush learned from reading Camus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Aug 25, 2006.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/3061299.shtml

President Bush held private and at times emotional meetings Thursday with the families of five Maine soldiers who died in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the Pentagon.

One anti-war widow said she used the opportunity to voice her objections to Bush's policies.

"I said it's time to stop the bleeding," said Hildi Halley, whose husband, Army National Guard Capt. Patrick Damon, died June 15 in Afghanistan. "It's time to swallow our pride and find a solution."

She said Bush responding by saying "there was no point in us having a philosophical discussion about the pros and cons of the war."

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't this dumb whore know what staying the course means?

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was "adapt to win" now?

:p

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I like how she's a dumb whore for pointing out that this war is a complete abortion.

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how your sarcasm detector needs a tune up

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If this war was an abortion, I'm fairly sure Bush would be opposed to it. ;)

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I bet Bush got pissed when Meursault was hanged for killing an Arab.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mission accomplished!

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "too much rep... 24 hours"

well-played

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And here I thought the President pulled out his trusty Gee-tar and strummed a song he wrote back at the ranch...

Ol' Albert Camus ain't no Stranger to me,
    And for Nausea, I turn to Jean-Paul Sartree.
    I've known Being and Nothingness all of my days:
    I was born and bred on existential malaise...

They all sang along, drank wine, and spent the evening discussing the benign indifference of the universe, the knowledge of which the president hopes will help our country deal with the results of his policies.

11. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I think it was TDS, but maybe Colbert, that commented that Bush reading a book about a guy that kills a Middle Easterner on a whim and feels little shouldn't be that far fetched. Rep to the person that digs up a link.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    She said Bush responding by saying "there was no point in us having a philosophical discussion about the pros and cons of the war."

That's a pretty cold response to a woman who lost her husband in Afghanistan.

Would it be so hard to acknowledge her loss and tell her that he was doing what he deep down knows is the right thing (I know, it would be impolite to start laughing in her presence as he says this, but he's pretty damn folksy).

I'm not convinced he gives a rats ass about any of the dead. Maybe he does, but I don't buy it. He probably is able to square the circle by simply convincing himself that they are in heaven now, which is a better place.

13. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I doubt he thinks they are all in heaven. Considering his silver spoon background, I bet he feels that the military is cannonfodder. Or IEDfodder. They exist to keep him priviledged and away from any nastyness

14. Seymour

Seymour New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    I apologize if this was adressed elsewhere, but what was the conventional wisdom about why the WH was claiming that Bush was reading the Stranger? Of all the bizzare things we have heard coming from the WH, that was has to be up there. I am genuinely confused on this one.