What Book Are You Reading Thread?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by sportscrazed2, Sep 8, 2016.

1. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So anyway, the book I mentioned upthread, Hiding in Plain Sight: The Invention of Donald Trump and the Erosion of America has a good 5-6 pages on Ghislaine Maxwell (the Epstein associate that just got arrested) and her, and her father's connection to Trump if anyone is interested. I mean, recommended either way, but her arrest actually had me revisit the book a little to brush up on the specifics.

Currently reading Love by Toni Morrison because I need something a little less heavy to consume and I thought it might fit the bill.

bunge repped this.
  2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    harrylee773 repped this.
  3. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just downloaded dune but won’t remember it so waiting a bit. Do people really understand this?
    C1A10CE8-08E6-4BBF-A0E0-760C53658493.jpeg

4. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I know that this is absolutely not the target audience, but I figured that I'd at least mention it. I just finished releasing the final volume of my light novel for the near future. It's only part one of three, but the first arc is finished.

"After 10 years living overseas in America, Seira Honjou returns to her childhood home in Tokyo to finish her last year of high school. At that high school, she joins the soccer team, where she finds the robotic and cold Hana Nakamura. When Seira and Hana come into conflict with those closest to them, they find comfort together in their love of the beautiful game (and possibly each other)."

There's a lot of Chicago Fire influence in there, including a casual mention of how sh!t the team is. There's also some Red Stars mention in there too. There's also a lot in there that I got directly from that one interview I did with Piotr Nowak, stuff about coaching philosophy and training. There's a whole thing in there about morning runs for the team that I took directly from Nowak. The story is more focused on the drama and romance, but I do my absolute best to make sure the soccer reads as realistic as possible.

So only if you're interested, please check it out.

https://www.pixiv.net/novel/series/7608073

5. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I picked this up in Galena. Quite in depth. IMG_20211111_142513502.jpg

cchchaplain, NotHelmut and skinut repped this.
  6. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Finished Daniel Silva's "The Cellist" last night. His usual shining light on how power and money work through intelligence agencies.

7. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently reading about how people were displaced and alternates that would have lead to less displacement were rejected because of Bridgeport racists when the new Comiskey Park was built in Field of Schemes. Feels like it should be required reading for US sports fans, but it also makes me feel bad for being a sports fan seeing as how we collectively allow billionaires to raid tax money to build their stadiums, instead of funding schools, housing,or just, whatever tf with that money. I’ve held off reading the book for a while because I follow the equally awesome blog one of the authors maintains on the subject, but felt like I’d finally check it off of my reading list and I’m glad I dove in.

8. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    bunge and xtomx repped this.
  9. NotHelmut

NotHelmut Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Peoria
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2023-8-13_20-53-44.png

Just finished this book. A very interesting and disturbing read. Chicago plays a major role in the book.

Pennsylvania Dave, bunge and harrylee773 repped this.
  10. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best books I’ve ever read. Can’t praise or recommend it highly enough.

NotHelmut repped this.
  11. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Originally titled an Intelligent Person's Guide to Colonialism, but that title got cancelled due to Colonialism=Horror circa 2018. 61RMzFYBjDL._AC_UF1000%2C1000_QL80_.jpg

12. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I got some stuff to prepare for random things to drop in next season's columns.
    upload_2023-12-27_16-33-39.jpeg

harrylee773 and Mac97 repped this.
  13. Gobernador Blanco

Chicago Fire
    Mexico
    Jul 30, 2022
    Upper Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don Quixote (Edith Grossman English translation). It's hilarious and relevant 500 years later

Pennsylvania Dave and bunge repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What's a "book"?

Is that some legend from long ago, lost to the distant past, like "MLS Champion Chicago Fire"?

15. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I really do love Don Quixote, but ever since I had to read it in the original early modern Spanish (think reading Shakespeare but in a second language) before abandoning my Spanish major, I struggle to convince myself to read it again.

Fuegofan repped this.
  16. Gobernador Blanco

Chicago Fire
    Mexico
    Jul 30, 2022
    Upper Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've heard the Edith Grossman translation is the version that best captures the "spirit & essence" of the characters in modern english. I can verify that so far. She's done translations for many of the big spanish language authors like Garcia Marquez, Vargas Llosa, etc

GHjelm repped this.
  17. “Delight,--top-gallant delight is to him, who acknowledges no law or lord, but the Lord his God, and is only a patriot to heaven”
    Herman Melville, Moby-Dick or, The Whale

18. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What should I read?
    IMG_1661.jpeg IMG_1660.jpeg

19. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Working on Beneath the Underdog - the World as Composed by Charles Mingus. It his autobiography but it seems to be written in the third person by someone - he’s referred to as “my boy” but he also refers to his father in the third person too. Odd, but it doesn’t make it hard to follow somehow. I think Mingus is the greatest American composer ever, so the book is an interesting look at the person behind the compositions, and he definitely seemed to be an interesting (and imaginative) person.

Mac97 and bunge repped this.
  20. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    bunge repped this.
  21. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire