What are you listening to right now, Version 3.0

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by obie, Sep 23, 2003.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we're up to Version 4.0, but since they have yet to move the other thread from the Books forum, might as well kick things off here.

Sadly, I'm in another office today and don't have my radio. But on the way here I was listening to Freedy Johnston's Can You Fly, specifically "Mortician's Daughter".

2. Masfaygo

Masfaygo Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Kansas City
    just got done listen to new

ZZ Top Mescalero

not a bad cd.

3. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    Kirsty MacColl's Tropical Brainstorm. Cuban influenced Brit-pop. It's brilliant.

4. Fkesoccer

Fkesoccer New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ooooh that's right it came out today... i wonder how long it will take to cross the pond - so... how is it you bastard!?!?

tell us of the funk... [​IMG]

6. Fkesoccer

Fkesoccer New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    it is grrrrreat!
    many catchy songs, andre 3000's 2nd half of his cd is mostly ballads,1st half rap...big boi's cd is mostly rap.

And of course those R&B/Funk songs, plenty of them,all very good.

It's a very solid package and I think that anyone will enjoy it.

Also.....bluedaddy, you can order it from amazon if i'm not mistaken they do overseas shipping.

My favorite song from the album was "Happy Valentine's Day"....lol

Well, as I'm not a professional reviewer...here's the review from Entertainment Weekly(ew.com):

You know we live in freakish times when two of pop's most outrageous characters, Andre ''3000'' Benjamin (a.k.a. Dre) and Antwan ''Big Boi'' Patton -- the duo called OutKast -- can walk on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards and be counted among the more understated participants. Of course, they could afford to be: They'd just finished Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, a long-awaited pair of solo CDs (out Sept. 23) that, if released separately, would each be a candidate for Hip-Hop Record of the Year. Packaged together, they make a twofer whose ambition flies so far beyond that of anyone doing rap right now (or pop, or rock, or R&B), awards shows may need to create a special category for it.

Forgive the hyperbole, but it's been a while since artists adept at the nitrous-oxide head rush of radio hitmaking have also shown talent for the old-fashioned art of the album. Hip-hop's other reigning visionaries, Missy Elliott and Timbaland, have yet to make a great LP, despite devastating singles; ditto the Neptunes. You need to look back to vintage Prince, Funkadelic, and Sly & the Family Stone for a mix of funky pop and wide-screen aesthetic madness comparable to what you get on ''Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.'' In fact, the set winds down with an environmentalist warning that mirrors the opening of Funkadelic's 1971 mind melter, ''Maggot Brain.'' But there's much more here than recycled influences.

In OutKast's yin and yang, Big Boi is the Everydude -- the neighbor you talk football with, who raises pit bulls and admits a fondness for both corny pop ballads and gangsta rap. So you'd expect ''Speakerboxxx,'' his half of the package, to be fairly straightforward. But it's surprising how far-reaching it is. It kicks off with ''GhettoMusick,'' a machine-gun-speed rap reclaiming '80s electrofunk from hipster ironists while targeting low-aiming rappers: ''You oughta be detained by the hip-hop sheriff/Locked up, no possibility of getting out/Because the s--- you make is killin' me/And my ears and my peers.'' ''Bowtie'' and ''The Rooster'' are good-time anthems with a brass-band swing; ''The Way You Move'' mates a Dirty South synth-drum bounce with a faux Phil Collins hook; and ''War'' gets grimly topical with a chorus of ''tick-tick-boom.'' Things lose some creative steam on posse cuts like ''Last Call'' (with Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz and Slimm Calhoun) and ''Tomb of the Boom'' (with Ludacris and others), but even the old-school tracks have a twist, whether it's Jay-Z rapping the hook of ''Flip Flop Rock,'' or ''Reset,'' with its dice-roll percussion and sermon by Big Boi's Georgia neighbor Cee-Lo. The tradition-minded moments also remind you where all this experimentation is rooted: hip-hop.

And that's important because, judging from the swirling strings and Nat King Cole crooning that begin Dre's deliriously art-damaged ''The Love Below,'' hip-hop tradition is fairly low on the list -- at least until the Beatles-referencing finale, ''A Life in the Day of Benjamin Andre (Incomplete),'' an autobiographical epistolary to an ex that lays deep rap testifying over a laptop-techno-beat blur. Between these poles is as strange and rich a trip as pop offers nowadays, a song cycle about love's battle against fear and (self-) deception that's frequently profound, hilarious, and very, very sexy. It's long -- okay, maybe overlong -- on skits and stylistic spelunking (see the John Coltrane-meets-Roni Size cover of ''My Favorite Things''). But it's filled with so many pure ass-moving pleasures, you're happy to indulge its excesses. ''Hey Ya!'' is the no-strings-sex-championing single, and maybe the two discs' catchiest moment. But ''Happy Valentine's Day'' comes close: a half-spoken, half-rapped soliloquy by Cupid, reimagined here as a pistol-packing gangster of love whose hand-clapping denouement should become as linked to its titular holiday as ''White Christmas.'' On ''Dracula's Wedding,'' Dre's a vampire -- or a rap star -- who's met his match (''I've cast my spell on millions, but I'm terrified of you''). And on ''Vibrate,'' a pitch to uplift the human race through music bobs alongside cool muted trumpets in a whirlpool of backward drumbeats.

Dre sings more than raps here, which could be a problem, as his nasal drawl isn't the greatest instrument. But hip-hop, like punk, is about making magic with limited means through the sheer force of creative will, and whether he's cooing baby noises on the Goth-soul cha-cha ''Pink & Blue'' or scatting with multiplatinum siren Norah Jones on the interlude ''Take Off Your Cool,'' Dre's limitations read here like strengths. With ''Speakerboxxx/The Love Below,'' his lonely Day-Glo lothario and Big Boi's wise-thug MC have made an LP that offers an outsize artistic vision, not focus-group ''perfection,'' as the route to a mass audience. They may be wrong, but you'll be very glad to go along for the ride.

Grade:A

Hope this answers your questions!

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Stop whatever you're doing - cooking dinner, watching the LA-Chicago match, playing in the LA-Chicago match, getting drunk, whatever - and go out and buy this now.

I can't believe the nearby Best Buy had it on sale for $10.99 (a double CD, no less!) on the day it was released. If all CDs were this great, for this cheap, I'd probably stop downloading.

8. Fkesoccer

Fkesoccer New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    very true! I bought it at Best Buy. What a steal!
    The first cd I've bought in two years.
    That says a great deal on how good this cd is.
    Buy it now!

9. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    single song?

condor - velvet dreams (skylight remix)

cd?

orishas - a lo cubano

10. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    john mayer "room for squares"

11. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Dave Matthews "Stay or Leave" off the new cd out today. You'll like it if your a Dave fan.

12. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Listening to 2 new cd's

Cheerleader, Hair out
    Stellstar*, Jenny

classic songs which I recommend

Go and take a big dick off a short pier

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Billy Talent ~ Try Honesty

14. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm listening to Nappy Roots, Wooden Leather. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

I'm addicted.

15. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been listening to this:
    [​IMG]

Their best work since 7th Son.

They were great live this past summer!

16. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Daniel Bedingfield "Inflate My Ego"

17. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    La Ley-La Luna (Unplugged)

18. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glassworks - Philip Glass

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    bill withers-use me up

20. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    new travis and new dido

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i was just treated to a spectacular run of tunes of my yahoo launch radio station

smiths-shoplifter of the world unite
    son volt-drown
    incubus-stellar(acoustic)
    van morrison-moondance
    RHCP-by the way
    coldplay-god put a smile opon your face
    rolling stones-can't always get what you want
    replacements-bastards of young
    green day-waiting
    tupac-got my mind made up
    simply red-right thing
    eagles-take it to the limit
    ben folds five-julianne
    nelly furtado-on the radio
    moral kiosk-REM
    got my mojo workin'-muddy waters
    misfits-devil's whorehouse
    we love deez hoz-outkast
    led zep-fool in the rain
    supremes-come see about me
    prince-i would die 4 u
    pixies-monkey's gone to heaven
    CCR-have you ever seen rain
    violent femmes-add it up
    radiohead-fake plastic trees
    john mayer-why georgia(live and i was at that show)

simply smashtaculous!!! though i'd share...

22. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Bad Company by Bad Company
    Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
    Layla by Eric Clapton
    Nights in White Satin by Moody Blues
    All Right Now by Free
    Just What I Needed by The Cars

23. Scoey

Scoey Member