What are you doing on election night?

Discussion in 'Elections' started by monop_poly, Oct 28, 2004.

1. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Staying home with a six-pack and nachos? Hosting a wine-and-brie shindig for lobbyists? Desperately avoiding election coverage and watching Seinfeld re-runs? In a bunker with Dick Cheney at an undisclosed location? Designing your own Tim Russert whiteboard for the neighbors?

Let's hear it.

2. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drinking heavily and watching TDS.

3. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting laid.

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traveling.

But once we touch down, my wife and I plan to plant ourselves in front of a TV, catch the Daily Show and the major news networks, and view armageddon from the comfort of a hotel mattress.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Great way to keep Ian out of this thread! ;)

If Bush wins, I personally won't get any, as I'd be too frickin' depressed to carry out any activity that would jeopardize putting another child in this godforsaken hell-hole where an idiot gets elected president.

If Kerry wins, I'm partying in the street. And drinking a LOT. And crying tears of joy. And calling all my family all over the globe to let 'em know that, yes, help is on the way.

During the coverage, I'll be biting my nails, eating comfort food. Praying.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My boyfriend, who is visiting from out of town, is leaving for home on Tuesday morning. He told me that he doesn't want to be anywhere near me on election night. He doesn't like it when I scream at the TV. :D

7. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will TDS be doing a full night of live coverage or just a short program?

Regardless, I'll be at home watching the results with my wife. If it looks like a Bush win, I'll go to bed early. If it's close or a Kerry win, I may be up all night with my wife asleep in the other chair.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm flying into DC for a 2 day business trip. I'll have to vote in the morning. I'll be eating dinner (on the gov'ts tab) with colleagues at some fancy restaurant in Bethesda Tuesday night and then back to the hotel to prep for presentations the next day. No JS for me, more's the pity.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Push-polling in Allentown.

10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My TiVo says TDS will have a live one-hour show on Tuesday night, their Election Coverage Special or something. If only there were a way to find out more details, by looking it up somewhere, maybe it is published on a web site... wait, let me try something...

www.comedycentral.com

They have a link on the front page for this special. "Election Night 2004: Prelude to a Recount" :D -- 10 PM Eastern. No indication of whether it will be live all-night coverage, my TiVo says it's just one hour long but then has it repeated at 11 PM Eastern so it's possible it will be more than one hour of live coverage.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Not only is it election night, but I'll be spending most of the weekend writing the 2 papers I have due that day and studying for the midterm I have that day. At 5 pm Eastern time it will all be over...and I will proceed to get utterly shitfaced.

12. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
  13. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    I'm flying in from Scotland to disenfranchise people in Oklahoma until the polls close at 9.

Actually, I'll be drinking some scotch and checking the updates while I work on 2500 word paper explaining "why idealism in IR is so often associated with Kant." That said, if anyone has that paper left over from grad school and sends it to me, then I will fly into the state of their choice to disenfranchise W. voters.

14. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    if bush wins: wife and i will be planning for our move out of the states in 4 years (only 4 years because im sorta stuck here until at least then)

if kerry wins: celebrating the fact that bush lost.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Well the day starts at 4 AM as I am placing Kerry signs at local polling precients (we don't trust the local Republicans). That will be followed by a few hours of sleep, then class from 9:30 to 12:30, then exit polling until 3, then "flushing" voters until the polls close. After that it will be drinking, lots and lots of drinking.

16. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Win or lose, I'll be at the Cowlitz County Democratic party. Since I know drinking only exacerbates my mood, I'll drink only if it's a victory.

I hope to have to call a taxi home that night.

17. Noix de Coco

Noix de Coco New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Northern VA
    I'm working the polls for the Democratic Party...playing whatever part I can, although miniscule, in getting Bush outta here.

Suprisingly a fair share of undecided voters show up to the polls...maybe I can convince them to make the right decision...vote Kerry.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be teaching Book VI of Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    All of the above.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Which restaurant?

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I think I know why you're stuck here. :)

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno yet. We were given 3 choices and told to vote for 1. I think the chair of this shindig is keeping it a secret. They all looked good to me:

Jean Michel (no website) something called Cesco Trattoria or a Lebanese Restaurant called Bacchus

I no longer have any say in the matter, but do you know any of these?

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Jean Michel is great. Cesco is run by Francesco Ricchi (his nickname is Cesco) and Roberto Donna. Great food. I've never been to Bacchus, but I've heard it's really good.

If you go to Cesco, check out the wine list. They have a great selection of wines from Tuscany.

24. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 1980 over again. I'll try the take one beer and go to bed early so I can get up in the middle of the night and still be awake enough to do my job on Wednesday routine. Foolishly, I've allowed myself a little hope it won't turn out the way I'm pretty sure it will, and so I'll have trouble getting to sleep.

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Same here. I'll probably tune in and tune out just as soon as it starts going the way I'm pretty sure it will.