What are you doing about languages? (German language primer)

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by mandrake, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mandrake

mandrake Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Silver Spring
    I'm debating whether or not to take a language class or not this spring and was curious to see what everyone else was doing. Yea I know, most everyone probably speaks English, but I think it enhances the experience to try to communicate in the local tongue.
    I'm not even sure I would take German. With the various side trips planned I may only be in Germany for a short time around the games, so German may not be the most useful one for me to learn, but at any rate vote for what you are doing.

2. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: What are you doing about languages?

I speak Spanish, am heading from Spain to Germany prior to the World Cup, and will be passing that off as my first language (in case I sense hostility towards Americans). If they don't speak that, well, I know a little english too ;)

My buddy is taking German 1 right now, and he is the only one in our group of 8 as far as I know that speaks ANY German .

3. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're probably right in that most everything you'll need to read pertaining to the World Cup will be in English and many Germans already know enough English to help you get by, yet part of me thinks that that is highly presumptuous on our part. Though I likely won't have to know German, I'd feel better knowing enough to get by regardless. At the very least, it shows an initiative by an English speaker to not expect everyone else to speak English.

I bought a beginners German 6 cd set by Pimsleur. I heard this is one of the better ones. $25 at Borders.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For Korea, I learned enough Korean to say "hello" "please" "thank you" and "do you speak English" and got by pretty well. (Then again, the Koreans were going out of their way to be helpful to all the foreigners who were visiting.)

I've taken German in the past, and been to Germany two or three times, and gotten by with almost all English. It probably won't be a problem to just know "hallo" "bitte" "dankeschoen" and "mein Deutch is nicht so gut, sprechen Sie Englisch?" -- in general, the locals tend to appreciate it if you make an effort to start in their language before switching to English.

Oh yeah, "ein Mass Bier, bitte" is crucial.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be sure not to pronounce it "Danke Shane" like Wayne Newton. The correct pronunciation uses a vowel sound not common in English, but it's somewhere between shun and shoon.

6. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I speak enough German to get around. I heard, though, that the locals would rather speak english to you than listen to you fumble around if you aren't fluent.

7. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus

ditto the speak enough to get by, but after a few drinks I get pretty good I'm told. People can never figure out where my Deutsch has gone the next day. Anyway, there will be a lot of English being spoken at the WC.

8. jorge805

jorge805 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Vegas

I'm enrolled in a class at the U this semester. Probably not the most cost-effective way to do it, but I didn't want to repeat Korea/Japan, where I went pretty clueless about the languages. I'm hoping it'll pay off...

Besides, I'm hoping there's some hot girls in class :)

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights

I took German for 4 years in HS and a semester in college...I'm not fluent, but I'm about as close as you can get without living there for a time (or more accurately I was at the end of my last German class 1.5 years ago). I'll definitely be able to get around and expect to be about 90% fluent by the end of the 2 weeks.

10. micheal

micheal New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I took German in high school and college. Was in Germany for a month about 10 years ago and haven't said or written a word since.

Lately, in the planning for this trip, I have been emailing hotels and reading the news in the Deutsch without too much trouble. Like riding a bike, I guess.

11. micheal

micheal New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, yeah, a loooot of hot girls are lined up to take German. . . LOL

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

"Ich bin ein Berliner"

[​IMG]

"Nothing, I know nothing!"

13. El-Professor

El-Professor New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Gulf Plains

When I was over there a few years ago this was very true. Oh, they were polite enough to try and help (and laugh at me) but they do prefer praticing their English to helping you practice your German...at least the people I met.

Another good word to know is pronouced something like "tchuse" (I forget the spelling), its the equivalent of "later" and everyone either says this or "ciao" when parting company (again, as far as the people I hung out with).

14. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC

If your looking to go to a major city in Germany to practice your language skills, you may be disappointed. Most Germans under the age of 35 or 40 speak better English than most Americans do. Whenever I am in Germany or Austria, I always end up speaking in German and receive a response in English. Germans will appreciate the effort, expecially the older ones, but it is largely unnecessary to speak German.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What are you doing about languages?

One of the funniest quotes ever. Since "ein Berliner" is a pastry, this statement was the equivalent of saying in Copenhagen "I am a Danish!" (He should have said "Ich bin Berliner!")

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003

"Ein Bier, bitte" ist gut.
    "Zwei mal, bitte" ist besser.
    "Viele Bier, bitte. Vielen Dank." ist am besten!
    Im Himmel gibt es kein Bier, also trinken wir es hier
    (In heaven there is no beer, so we drink it here)

17. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin

Just my experience having lived in Germany for about 5 years, first in Bonn and now in Berlin.

As far as the WC is concerned, you will be able to get by just fine without a word of German, or at most 'Sprechen Sie Englisch?'.

It is fantastic to try to learn a bit more, and the locals will think much more of you for it.

In my life, I have actually found most Germans very reluctant to speak English (I also taught English for three years). I think it is a very 'German' thing that if they do not feel they speak it perfectly than they prefer not to speak it at all.

When I first moved to Bonn I had been in German class for a total of 2 days when I met my girlfiend's firends. They refused to speak English with me even though each of them had learned it for a minimum of 9 years. They gave excuses like 'but it's so embarrasing', never mind that my knowledge of German totalled two days worth of class.

That is an extreme example, but I very rarely come across Germans who willfully speak English with me. I have never been in a shop where a received an answer in English to a question in German (in stark contrast to my time living in Denmark).

But this is OK, because nearly everyone I have met has been more than willing to put up with my very bad German and have been very helpful (in stark contrast to my experience in France). A typical experience when I first arrived was me going into a shop, butchering the language as I ask for something, and being responded to in slow, clear German and lots of hand signals (it is much easier now).

So my advice is to learn a few phrases because the locals will like you a lot more, but not to sweat it, because everything 'vital' will be in English and the locals can actually speak it quite well if forced to.

18. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I flew Lufthansa from Geneva to Frankfurt one Christmas day. I was the only person in Business Class, there were a handful of people in coach. So I had two flight attendants for myself. One flight attendant just hovered over me the entire flight. She spoke English, exclusively, to me. I responded exclusively in German. She understood everything I said and I understood everything she said. It was surreal.

JBigjake, a Berliner is a donut, sold around Advent IIRC. But all the Berliners/Germans are said to have understood Pres Kennedy and appreciated the sentiment.

19. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin

'A Berliner' is actaully a pastry. We Americans would call it a jelly-filled donut, but as anyone knows this is not actually a donut because it does not have a hole.

Interestingly, in Berlin dialect it is not actually called 'a Berliner', but rather a 'Pfannekuchen', or pancake. What the rest of Germany, as well as the English speaking world, refers to as a pancake, Berliners call 'Eierkuchen', or eggcake.

When I told my Berliner girlfriend the JFK joke, she couldn't see why it was funny because to her, he hadn't said 'I am a jelly-filled donut' as he had to the rest of Germany.

If 'a Berliner' is anything to a Berliner, it is most likely a 'Berliner Boulette', which is a meatball.

Confusing, isn't it.

And yes, everyone knew what JFK was getting on about, but that doesn't make it any less funny.

20. KarlMai

KarlMai Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Witzenhausen/Germany
    Club:
    FF USV Jena
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Some links about this urban legend:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/jfk_berliner.htm

http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth06.htm

I never found it funny, too.

But when I ask for what they call "Berliner" here, I get suspicious looks, because they don't know what I mean with "Kreppel"/"Kräppel"... ;) It is very hard to be understood.

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What are you doing about languages?

Of course, but it's still funny. I heard the story from Bavarians, who appear to get the joke better that actual Berliners!
    P.S. I understand that JFK supposedly worked this out with an interpreter, but there are regional variations. Weren't Pres. Carter's words to the Polish people garbled from "I have great affection for you" to "I lust for you"?

22. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ach, dass ganz lustig ist!

:D

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After taking college German and visiting Germany in college and 30+ years later, I frequently would talk to Germans auf Deutsch and they would answer me in English. It seemed to work pretty well. I practiced my German and they practiced their English. This was particularly true with younger Germans in retail settings.

24. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus

I have had similar experiences.

25. jorge805

jorge805 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Vegas

So, for those who have experience traveling in Germany....

Is it worth taking German 101 this semester, or am I wasting my money?

I don't want to go over there totally clueless like I was in 2002 and be that American, but I did get some "Learn German" and "Idiot's Guide to German"- type books and dvds for x-mas, so that's $350 I'm investing in the class that I could put to use in Germany, too....

any suggestions? I have to drop the class by today to get a full refund...