What are the chances Dynamo can repeat this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by The_Funkie_Junkie, Jul 24, 2007.

1. TheRoc5

TheRoc5 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    GOSPURSGO TX
    Re: What are the chances of a repeat?

I'd say theres a nice chance to repeat. But its way to early. Its only half way through the season and anything can happen. Though if every stays pretty healthy I like our chances.

2. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Im getting my plane tickets now if we dont make it I may still go and visit the museums and see the game.

3. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

it's MLS-just get hot in September, squeak into the playoffs and win the cup-see LA two years ago.

4. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A Dynamo repeat really IS that refreshing, isn't it?

5. flint

flint New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Sugar Land

As a comparison, I think the NCAA men's basketball tournament a.k.a. March Madness, requires the most luck to win. Yet, when it get down to the Final 4, it's always the top teams, no real surprises.

Yep, we can easily repeat as Cup winners.

6. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    just curious as to what the rest of you think.I think its possibe lbut we need a few things to happen first.

we need Davis and Holden back asap.
    we need to be more consistent on offense
    Corey Ashe needs to make better decisions on the pitch.
    Our first touch needs to improve in the attacking third of the field.Too many wasted chances IMO

7. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    I agree that the team needs Holden OR Davis back (both would be fantastic, but if they get one of them back healthy, that fills in a big hole in the lineup). I don't really think it matters what Ashe does, as long as Holden/Davis get back, and Waibel gets back, then Ashe is going to be sitting on the bench. Here's the team that Houston should be able to field down the stretch in late September/October and in the playoffs:

Onstad/Wells
    Waibel/Mulrooney Cochrane/Ianni Robinson/Ianni Barrett
    Mullan/Mulrooney Clark/Mulrooney DeRosario/Holden Holden/Davis
    Ching/Jaqua Ngwenya/Wondo

The team is two deep at pretty much every position, not even counting on Dalglish coming back. If both Holden and Davis are back, one of them is going to be sitting on the bench (which is good for Houston's depth, but it reinforces my point that the team doesn't really need both to get back healthy).

Here's what I would think would be the lineup in October and playoffs:

Onstad
    Mulrooney ---- Cochrane ---- Robinson ---- Barrett
    ------------------------------- Clark -----------------------------
    Mullan ------------ DeRosario ------------------- Holden
    ----------- Ngwenya ------------ Ching ----------------

Bench: Wells, Waibel, Ianni, Davis, Wondo, Jaqua, Ashe/Dalglish

That's a pretty formidable team. And none of the injuries seem to be ones that will prevent the player from being back in September. I think Holden is the key guy; if he comes back then that really helps to add something to the offense, and improves the set pieces as well.

if this team is back by the end of September, then I give the Dynamo a good chance (50%) of repeating. The challenge is that with the playoff format, the best teams often don't win, so it's hard to say that they have better than a 50/50 chance of winning even if they are playing really well.

8. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the same thing except with Brad Davis.

9. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    RH - I agree that Davis has amazing free kicks, but I wouldn't give him an edge over Holden. Holden has 5 MLS assists, to Davis's 3, while Davis has played substantially more minutes. I believe most of these assists for both guys came from set pieces, so at least statiscally, Holden serves in as good (if not a better) ball than Brad. Granted, scoring off set pieces is often luck and up to how the guys finish, but my point is that I don't see a big falloff from Davis to Holden in taking set pieces.

And I do see a big improvement from Davis to Holden in play in the run of the field. Brad is very good, and I would be happy to see him starting again. But Holden brings more creativity, more goal scoring (both have 3 goals, but Stuart's 3 goals came in less playing time) and better defense than Brad (IMO).

Anyway, as I said, if the team gets one of those guys back I think that gives a tremendous spark to the offense. If they get both back, then Mullan and DeRo can get a rest now and then with the depth that would bring to the team.

10. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Davis, when he's back, is going to need a lot of time to get match fit. He would most likely be a sub the rest of the season. A mid field of holden, rico, dero and mullan is pretty stout. Our backline, while suspect at the start of the season, will be fine as well. It is our finishing up top that needs to improve.

11. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this was a good place as any to mention this.

At the Soccer 101 event, one of the guys (Waibel?), said they'd like to face either the Revs or DC United for the MLS Cup.

12. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeRo - he said that's who thinks they will face in the championship game (in answer to my question:D;).)