What are the Blitzz going to do?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by tabramos10, Oct 20, 2004.

1. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I searched all over for a Blitzz thread in the RSL section, but I couldn't find one, so here it is.

What is the latest news on the Blitzz for next year? A-League? PDL? Rice Eccles? Ogden?

Who knows the most recent rumors, and who knows the most accurate rumors?

And only slightly related, hard core Blitzz fans, don't get too pissed about not getting props from RSL, or anyone. Minor leagues are minor leagues. Thank goodness we now have a big league team. But it would be cool if the Blitzz were in the A-League. Then hopefully RSL could develop some of their plalyers who aren't quite ready for MLS by dropping them to the Blitzz, and standout Blitzz players could get their shot in MLS when RSL players get injured and such.

I also don't think many Blitzz players from last year have a chance, maybe Guti and Jorge, but definitely no one else. Goalkeepers are a different story, though. I wouldn't rule out any goalkeeper that's played in NCAA, PDL, PSL, A-League, or anywhere from playing MLS, because keepers are just different. There's not as huge of a scale of difference in quality amongst keepers.

2. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Welcome to the forum, Tab.

To answer some of your questions - there is no direct agreement between MLS and USL. There was one in existance several years ago, but it was done away with as the two entities could not come to terms. As a result, I wouldn't look for too big of a relationship between the two organizations - regardless of where the Blitzz end up. And, to that end, I have not heard anything new. USL has it's annual meeting in 3 weeks, so decisions must be made before then. Sit tight, you should have information soon.

3. mckid

mckid New Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know about that.

Goodfellow was pretty solid in the back. He would do well. If Evans were to put a stronger focus on fitness he would do quite well in MLS also.

Those would be my picks.

4. Rockey J Squirrel

Feb 27, 2003
    Brigham city Utah
    For Blitzz info go to the USL discussion board not big soccer.
    All the fans would like to know, as well as the sponsors and the players.
    Matt Evans has retired to coach with the blitzz and/or youth teams.
    Chad Sackett, Goalie should always be on your list, unless he chooses Starter vrs Bench or goes to Portugal.

5. ilvfutbol

ilvfutbol New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I have heard that the MLS team and Blitzz are wanting to do something? What are the different scenerios that may come into effect? PDL situation like the Boulder Rapids Reserve? Is that a "real" affiliation and do players get to train with the MLS team and play on the reserves? ARe there limitations in the PDL on who can play (amatuer status, etc)?

I also think Goodfellow, Evans, Sackett, Jorge, Gutti and possibly McNicole have a good chance to go into the A-league and should get a good look with RSL. Does anyone have more bio information for these players?

I have heard from some players & coaches that there is a try-out for Chivas USA next week or in a few weeks. Will RSL do the same thing or get players from the draft and leave it at that?

6. heyheyTony

heyheyTony New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Let me give you a clue. They are going to play most of the same teams they played this year but pay less to do so. ;)

7. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Like I've said before, some Blitzz players may or may not be A League or MLS material.

Brian Ching and the Seattle Sounders needed help from the referee when they beat the Blitzz back in 2002.

But when you consider the job that Chris & Stacy have done, those 2 definitely are MLS material. Heck, keeping the Blitzz from going Fiorentina/Mutiny/Fusion is a pretty big accomplishment.

8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like somebody else said, I wish this could be discussed on the USL discussion boards. Most of the Blitzz talk here sounds a bit sentimental at best and whiny at worst. Maybe we can summarize the facts:

(1) The Blitzz were a successful team. Good job to the owners, coaches, players, fans, etc.

(2) Their success may OR may not have paved the road for the new MLS team.

(3) They had some good players. Those players will have to look for their best options now that the Blitzz are most likely not going to be in the PSL anymore. The players don't have any kind of obvious "in" with RSL just because they have previously played in a D3 team that happened to be in Utah. Maybe RSL will be more aware of them, but they have no obligation to favor former Blitzz players over other resources.

(4) The Blitzz have been publicly recognized and appreciated for their accomplishments by RSL, so they are not being ignored or rejected.

(5) Real Salt Lake is Major League Soccer.... The Blitzz are not. Their entire future is completely mysterious at this point. So those people who are desperately trying to hold onto the glory days of the Blitzz being the best in Utah would be far better served by just being quietly loyal and following the team wherever they go. Let the rest of us enjoy something that promises to be bigger, better and more exciting. :D

9. ilvfutbol

ilvfutbol New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I am a confused poster. What part if any of the last posts above seemed sentimental and whiny? Also, I am not in the loop of discussing in the USL discussion board and how it works. Thanks for the info and I will check it out.

If RSL has a PDL team relatioship or some type of Blitzz tie why couldnt it be discussed here? Just wondering. Thanks

I also found this article interesting about former Salt Lake Buzz players. http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595099773,00.html

All I am trying to find out is what people think about some of the players they have seen play in Utah and grown to love and appreciate. Maybe someday there will be an article like the one above about a "minor league" player making it big.

Also I think the paved road of the MLS has alot to do with the Blitzz, the Freezz, The Sting, Weber State Soccer, BYU Soccer, and the Salt Ratzz.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF there is a tie-in I could see a reason to discuss it here, however the PSL/PDL are part of the United Soccer League.
    Which not only have their own message board (noted above) but they also have their own forum within BigSoccer. Those are the best places to discuss the PDL and PSL.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

11. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if I sounded whiny myself. Just expressing some frustration w/ some of the posters in other threads who keep complaining about the Blitzz not being appreciated. The USL discussion board, which I highly recommend (except the Blitzz page is fairly stagnant right now since there isn't any news and therefore isn't anything to discuss) is....

Blitzz and BYU Men's discussion link

In response to the actual question above, my favorite players to watch were Jorge Estrada and Chad Sackett. I thought they were great. I never could figure out how Estrada managed to be everywhere all at the same the time.

12. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked with Chris and Stacey for a few minutes at the announcement of the RSL name a few weeks ago. We mainly spent the time talking about the recent championship game played against the Charlotte Eagles. I couldn't pry anything out of them and at this point they may not know what the future has for them, but they seemed positive and it appears they will likely return in 2005 in some capacity. Whether that means in the A-Leauge or PDL, or playing at RES, another Salt Lake site, or even in another city remains to be seen. The PSL seems very unlikely with (reportedly) San Diego folding, and the Gold dropping to the PDL.

You have to wish the best for them. I told Chris that the Blitzz paved the way for the MLS to come to Utah and wish them all the best. I'll be sure to catch a few games should they play next year.

13. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    I think that Weber, BYU, and the prior pro teams in the area paved the way for the Blitzz. Blitzz paved the MLS road.

Freezz folded years ago. They might have scouted land but no paving.

Salt Ratz died in mid-season. I would say they were paved over.

As for Blitzz players on RSL, Chad S. will be on the payroll but not wearing gloves and shinguards. He goes to work for them soon on the ticketing/marketing staff.

14. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  15. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    My bad, I guess.

I remember reading that because of the owner's health problems the team was not going to finish. You can tell how much interest I took in the Ratz.

16. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I can't figure out why anyone gives a damn if we talk about the blitzz on bigsoccer rather than these wonderful usl boards I keep hearing about. What difference does it make?

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this is the forum for RSL not the Blitzz, but no one is saying you CAN'T.
    Happy posting.

18. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    The Blitz are done, good-bye. No way an MLS team and a USL team can succeed in a city so small.

19. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    I'll let them know.

Man, Sam Battilstone sure was nuts to move the Jazz out of NO too.

20. mckid

mckid New Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda like there is no way the Galaxy can succeed in the playoffs?

sorry blitzz boy...hackie set himself up.

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Well, if some fan were to run up to Idaho to play the lottery...

22. ilvfutbol

ilvfutbol New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I just recieved some news today from my kids team from the Utah Youth Soccer Association. It mentions a coaching clinic or something and the Blitz coach to be honored or in honor of the D3 Pro League National Champions. Maybe there will be some info discussed about the future of both teams?

UYSA Reception to Honor D3 National Champions
    http://utahyouthsoccer.net/archive_oct20_04.html

23. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Sackett is earmarked for BYU - PDL. Jorge is still young enough - and yes, GOOD enough - to have a shot at MLS. Perhaps you forgot about Persson; he WAS THE REASON the Blitzz were even able to stay in the championship match with Charlotte. Goodfellow, maybe.

24. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sackett is now an employee of Real Salt Lake.

25. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    And this means he won't be able to come out and kick the ball around w/ his old club? Haven't you ever heard of work AND play? Oh, wait, he'll be too busy giving away RSL tickets to have a few games in goal. What?
    BYU is, more or less, a semi-pro (somewhat professional) team. The Blitzz were, save for the occasional ringer off of the red eye from Calif., a semi-pro team. Scant $ + soccer in Utah = JOB.
    You've been in HV for far too long, son. Time to come up north for a spell. :confused: