What are the all advantages of practicing with a smaller ball?

Discussion in 'Player' started by lefty24, Aug 25, 2006.

1. lefty24

lefty24 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    So I've been using a size 1 ball to practice juggling and trapping, and as a result both my juggling and trapping have improved a lot. I was wondering what other aspects of the game a small ball can improve? One thing I'd like to know for sure is would a small ball help develop dribbling, or would it be better to practice with the ball you use for a game. Any other advice about if a small ball helps with kicking, passing, etc would be great. Thanks...

2. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    I try my best to stricktly only use size 27 inch size 5 balls. any higher level of match play will use that size ball. 27.5's or 28's I don't shoot properly AT ALL.

I suggest to you to only use the smallest sized size 5 balls. If you think about it, it's just that much more familiar you'll be with it.

3. hectic

hectic New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    The Ghetto
    I practice in the house with a size 3 T90PITCH.

I think practicing with a smaller ball is better because more accuracy is needed.

The size 5 does feel like a watermelon when you go back to it after using a smaller one for a while but you get used to it again. I think practicing with a size1 is very good.

anyway thats what I rekon.

4. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    small balls are fun. the best are the little soft ones that you can still kick hard. oooh.

5. sHperacLu

sHperacLu New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Absolutely ALL brazilian football clubs incorporate small ball exercises into their trainings. Period. :)

6. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    what kind of drills do they use small ball?

7. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You do the same drills you'd do with a big ball with a smaller ball. Anything you can do with a big ball you should be able to do with a small ball and visa versa. So just do the drills you'd usually do.

appleCORR

8. sHperacLu

sHperacLu New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Handball balls! :)

I've even seen pictures of Roberto Carlos's former brazilian club, União São João, where the junior squads were juggling with handball balls!

9. y-o-y

y-o-y New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    LBC
    I do this, but mostly dribbling to keep it away from my dogs when i walk them every morning (they are pretty good defenders!)

10. Reis710

Reis710 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Hamilton
    or you just suck ;) lol jk

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    small ball probably weighs a little more in terms of size too so u have less time to prepare yourself for the nest movement/keep up

so when u come back to a normal ball u find that u are more accurate and quicker to the next stage

12. viperman5000

viperman5000 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Ohio
    I use futsal balls all the time. Much better to juggle with.

13. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    I understand they can be used to work on and improve finishing.

14. carles_puyol5

carles_puyol5 New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you want to use them for finishing, try to practice more volleys than ground shots. In the last case you might develop the wrong technique due to the size of the ball. However, with volleys it will only improve your skill.

15. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I'm gonna be the heretic here, but I think small ball training is useless. I prefer an overinflated size 5 ball.

16. BuddyLee

BuddyLee New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    honestly as a striker using the futsal ball helped me alot. Its not those soft light size three balls u get at your local sears modells or dept store. its those hard small size 2-3 three balls, you kick them at first and u feel as if you are going to break your foot. the emphasis on using those small hard futsall ball is to strenghten your passing, which kinda elminates the air passing and juggling antics. it makes your first touch better because for me when i first started using that ball when i was passed the ball it would fly all over the place or it woulda kinda pain me where i stopped the ball as compared to when i use a regular size three football. so i had to learn a new technique of stopping that futsal ball without hurting my foot and preventing it from straying. needless to say when i went back to the regular footballs my first touch was sick. i always wondered what magic those brazillians used to get control like that ... it wasnt much majic .. it was the futsal ball. shooting also u cant shoot hard with that kinda ball at first ... i cant explain it, maybe some of you could relate to what im going to say and explain it simpler. if some of you play the guitar, u know at first when u play for 15 mins or so pressing the chords your fingers would kill u? and then after about a week or two of playing the guitar you realise that your fingers to pain ... its the same when shooting with that ball. at first i used to think i'd break my ankle then i learnt how to shoot fairly hard using my instep as a new technique. now my shot with the regular ball its pretty solid.:cool:

17. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just like what mini balls look like, so I rarely play with them, but I believe that it is extremely important for a small child to play with a small ball...this is even what Pele said!:)

18. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    I simply love small balls for their being both pleasant aesthetically and skills-wise efficient.
    I have two 1-sized, one 3 and another 4 sized.
    I mean it's the diversity of balls you use which makes you better.