What advantage does the #1 seed really have over the #2?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MRschizoid21, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ates-will-observe-november-international-date

As soon as the playoff field is set, #2 seed automatically knows where they are playing on Nov 2/3. #1 seed has to wait until the 30/31 to find out who they play, then book a flight on short notice.
    Then for Conf Finals Leg 1, assuming 1 and 2 advance, #1 is flying into town to play their 3rd game in a week, 2 of which are on the road.

Is that really advantage?

ImaPuppy, henryo and gears repped this.
  2. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a little "you be the don" forum-ish, but I always felt first place should host both games in the conference semi finals.

its a small change but a good reward for a teams efforts.

Matt in the Hat and henryo repped this.
  3. RevvedUp10

RevvedUp10 Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They get to play a team who is about to play 3 games in less than 10 days. Big advantage really.

ZipSix, ImaPuppy, Boloni86 and 9 others repped this.
  4. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest issue with the current format and schedule is that the lower seed gets to host the first leg of the conference semifinals on the weekend, while the higher seed has to host the second leg on a weeknight. A two-leg series already minimizes home-field advantage, and this aspect of its implementation by MLS reduces it even more.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't like one club to host both legs. I'd rather 1 host the 4/5 winner in one game than in two games at the same site.

6. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, except you go on the road on short notice. If the #4 seed wins, I feel they have the upper hand. This playoff format is very problematic IMHO.

If it was single elimination, it would work better. 4/5 game would be severe punishment if you definitely had to go on the road to the #1 seed and everything was on the line.

7. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No you don't. You know WHEN the match is going to happen, just not where. If the extra rest/preparation (you can gameplan a bit of both potential opponents) isn't more of an advantage than playing a better team that has as much rest and preparation as you, then there's no such thing as an advantage.

8. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish higher seeds had a choice just so fans would quit complaining. You choose whether you go on the road first or host first.

ImaPuppy and Roger Allaway repped this.
  9. 1Coug1

1Coug1 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    How long would the club have to decide where to play? Can never see this happening as the league and networks probably want the better team hosting last for the chance at showing them advance in front of their fans.

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The league might want that, even though there's really no reason for it, but the networks couldn't give two shiny craps about it. The networks want ratings, period.

redinthemorning repped this.
  11. 1Coug1

1Coug1 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Could be wrong but doesn't the current format bring about the best chance of both legs being the most competitive and more viewed as a consequence?

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS ignored the (mostly) meaningless Nov dates, I don't think people would have as much of a problem. The schedule c/would be much more spaced out.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the reverse scenario then. Portland is going to square off with either Seattle or Colorado. If you're the Timbers, playing match 1 at home would be a bigger advantage, I think, because the opponent would be on the road on short rest. But the flip side would be that the higher-seeded team would then have to face Seattle in that hornets' nest or Colorado in the cold and altitude with the series on the line, against an opponent now on equal footing rest-wise, in what could potentially be a one-off.

Not to mention, I'd prefer that the higher seed has the opportunity to celebrate the series win in front of their home fans.

At the end of the day, this is a playoff. Win or shut up.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with that, this thread is off to the General forum.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. One of the dumbest recent MLS decisions (I'd argue THE dumbest) was changing the conference final to a two game playoff. I know I'm a tiny minority, but the 2 legged playoffs in MLS undermine my enjoyment of the playoffs, since there's literally NO sporting reason for it. It's 100% a money grab.

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    AMEN

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I find these claims a little Rube Goldberg-ish and dubious. The 1 doesn't have as much advantage over the 2 seed as it ought to--because the home-and-home is a lousy format for home field advantage. Much simpler, and more empirically observable.

BHTC Mike and superdave repped this.
  18. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    If hosting the second leg is such an advantage in the MLS playoffs, then it's an equally large advantage for New Zealand to get to host the second leg of their playoff against Mexico, something which was decided by a coin toss!

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The formats aren't equal, because WCQ uses the away goals rule, making the 2nd leg host much less likely to host the 30-minute extra time.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of whether or not one team earned the right to host the second leg, somebody has to host the second leg. The fact that it was determined by a coin toss doesn't tell how much of an advantage it is.

21. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Actually, why not just push out the start of the playoffs (play-in game) by mere 3 days and solve all the issues?

Play-in: 4th place team get to play at home on weekend, and every other team get more time to sell tickets. - Check

Conf Semi Leg 1: 4/5th & 3rd place teams host the 1st/2nd place teams in mid-week (reduced home advantage) - Check

Conf Semi Leg 2: 1st & 2nd place teams enjoy return leg at home on a weekend (added home advantage) - Check

And so on for 2 legs of Conf Final: Lower Seed host in mid-week, Higher Seed host on weekends.

Problems solved?

1Coug1 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  22. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Works for me, although the FIFA dates are what complicated everything this year. Sounds like MLS may ignore them after all.

henryo repped this.
  23. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about in the event of a tie in aggregate score of the two-game playoff, the better-seeded team wins? No extra time, no PKs. Makes the second game more friendly for TV scheduling too.

24. 1Coug1

1Coug1 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's too much of an advantage. Like the one game final in an unbalanced league, IMO. There should be an actual winner to conference series just like in the cup final.

25. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Speaking of this, will AWAY GOALS rule help in anyway?

Given that it is adopted in FIFA WC and CCL, why not fall in line too?

Matt in the Hat repped this.