What about Wynne?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Swami, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    There's been a lot of news/speculation regarding Feilhaber's move to the pros. What about Wynne?

2. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I havent heard any news yet, but im sure we will hear some soon enough.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I propose the next 200 posts talk about NCAA eligibility and development at college level vs. overseas... :)

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Let's keep this on topic, please! That belongs in the Fielhaber thread.

Now, where were we? Oh yes, the Bruce Arena/University of Virginia/Bobby Convey/DC United conspiracy.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I gotta figure that if the kid doesn't sign anywhere this summer it's because he wants to go back to UCLA and/or doesn't want to live in a foreign country.

Certainly, he showed enough to get interest and offers. That doesn't mean we'll ever know what that interest is/was, but I'd bet my little toe it was/is there.

So, if he doesn't sign, it's going to be because he doesn't want to be there.

That said, just because there hasn't been anything in the media doesn't mean nothing is going on. It could be happening very quietly and behind the scenes and when it's done, it will be announced.

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I surely hope he goes across the Atlantic to play on someones' reserves for a season or two.

His athletic ability is something you just cannot let sit at UCLA. His crossing could get a lot better, but the kid is fast and can leap low-flying airplanes in a single bound. Where's Benfica when you need them? Ajax? PSV? Feyenoord even? Royal Antwerp? Lyn Oslo?

7. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Actually I think that UCLA could better develop his abilities than playing on some reserve team. He'd get plenty of playing time and...

JUST KIDDING. Please, please, please, no one do what I was just feigning and actually attempt to discuss college vs. pro reserves for player development. We do not need 200 posts to sift through in search of the one or two that might actually contain useful info (unlike this post) about Wynne's YA offers/choices. Just a public service announcement...

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He needs Eddie Johnson's agent ... would probably get $300K ... from MLS.

9. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    No kidding - Eddie's agent just became a superstar to all other MLSers...

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Eddie's the superstar. His agent did a great job of striking when the iron was hot, but if your agent fails to do that for you, get a new agent.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Marvell Wynne should command a decent transfer value, should his skills develop enough to warrant time with the USMNT. Meaning that, if MLS does pre-emptive bidding with one player, why can't it do with others?

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Looks like he won't be going anywhere for awhile.

http://www.soccer365.com/_365_Interviews/page_123_100752.shtml

And when he does, looks like he might be tempted by the chance to play immetiately in MLS...

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    my guess is that EJ will be playing in europe before too long....this season....MLS just doesn't throw that kind of cash around unless they are going to get it covered (by someone else) pretty quick....

14. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think the expect to sell him after the world cup. Eddie said he wanted to stay in MLS until after the world cup, so that synchs up.

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'm disappointed, but the kid has to be happy...and if this is what makes him happy- so be it.

I do hope Wynne spend next few months working on his weaknesses- off-foot, (somewhat) crossing..etc. I wonder if he could convince coach to let him play in midfield (to get more action on ball skills)...

He has real potential..

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, but sometimes your agent tries to strike when you are hot but instead you listen to your friends and make a small-indie movie like Queens Boulevard and then afterwards you find you might not be quite so hot and its harder to get the same offers and the same kind of money.

Going back to UCLA is Queens Boulevard and Marvell is Vincent Chase. I just hope he isn't listening to the wrong people.

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Turtle.

:D

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping Marvell would jump to Europe now, that is my only hope that Dude won't be in Germany.

19. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Mentally, I just don't think he is/was ready for a move to Europe. He seems to be a deliberate guy, and he's gone from a (who's that?) to (you can play in Europe) in a matter of many weeks.

Since its kind of like being President (#1 requirement- you got to want to BE President), maybe the kid's making the right decision.

For sure, I hope he uses the college game (I reckon this'll be his last semester) to work on those weaknesses- otherwise, it will be wasted time..

20. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    I think he should declare for the Superdraft, then the Crew pick him up at third overall. We develop attacking outside backs well. If you don't believe me watch the DCU game where I counted 1 time a OS back pushed into the attack. See, we develop talent, ask Martino, Buddle, Szetela, and Wingert.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nah, I'd have been among the ones pushing him towards Europe. It's the Turtles of his group, I'd guess - namely his boys back at UCLA - who are encouraging him to come back for another season of college ball.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I always suspected you had underdeveloped calves.

23. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynne = Eddie Pope part deux? I always wished Eddie took up some of his offers for Europe, now we'll never see him match up against some of the best. I sure hope Wynne snaps out of his humbleness and leaves when he is young and learns from the hardest but best environment... then he can come to MLS and be happy at home.

Then again I hope he signs with DC United!

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    What about the oppposite perspective...

MLS believes that Eddie Johnson will emerge from the World Cup as a full blown marketable superstar, the kind of player that US fans will want to see. (Whether you like it or not, the only other MLS player that can serve that role is Donovan.) If that's the case, they'll want to keep him to serve MLS at the end of the '06 season and beyond. Giving him the money now keeps him somewhat happy, less likely to sign a contract abroad, etc.