What about a W-League team for St.Louis?

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by REALfootballRulez, Nov 22, 2010.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that the recent World Cup games showed St Louis had a higher percentage of viewer ratings than anywhere else in the country. I suppose it could have something to do with a history of some of the players with Athletica, as well as that region's appreciation for soccer in general.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, STL was #2 for the USA's opening game and #3 for the second, with no other cities in the top 4 for both of those two games. I haven't seen numbers for the third USA match or other matches in general, though - have you? I'd love a link. =-)
    But yeah, STL loves big soccer events (WC's, special one-off matches) and is actually doing a fairly good job of supporting its USL team at the moment, too.
    Athletica might have something to do with it, but of the two biggest Athletica stars (Solo & Chalupny) only one has seen time in the WWC. Boxx wasn't a huge star on Athletica but has seen a couple minutes, and Harris is continuing as a backup. Not sure how much STL people are following Athletica's international players (Miyama, Aluko, Asante, Perez). But STL native Sauerbrunn has seen full time so far, so that's definitely a draw for local fans, too.

3. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see a ratings number specific to the third match, but I was referring to Washington Post naming St Louis as the top rated spot for those first three US matches combined.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-round-of-16-schedule-and-group-superlatives/

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was there a viewing party at Ballpark village last night for the USA/Columbia game?