What about a W-League team for St.Louis?

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by REALfootballRulez, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. I'm not sure I'm really happy about the move away from grass fields, but I guess I understand the reasons and it does seem to be the trend. Hopefully, they flattened the field out before they changed the turf :rolleyes:. The story is certainly a positive, but they always seem to throw out these comments about future teams.

WWT, at least as far as I know, wasn't exactly a major presence when Athletica was here. I realize the emphasis here is on youth and club soccer, but it didn't seem like there was any corporate support to keep what we already had. I also think that the resentment of SLSG was part of the reason Athletica and the men's team failed, although ownership problems were first and foremost. That resentment will probably grow now that they are taking players away from high school teams (I won't argue for or against the issue here).

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is there anything specific going on with regards to a women's team in St.Louis? I have no interest in a men's team but I'll get season tickets to any women's team.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they say getting an MLS team is remote which is an understatement. I'd say ZERO chance.

But a stadium like Soccer Park is ideal for a women's team. I know a lower level men's team too but would it really succeed? You've heard that saying how St.Louisans like the best. I don't think a low level men's team would attract enough. I know the men's team attendance really tailed off quickly.

4. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can't say ZERO chance, because you never know what can happen, all it takes is someone/group with money and BOOM, there's a team.
    But since it is highly unlikely, I'd give it a slightly above zero chance of happening. ;)

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL...in this case I think it's safe to say ZERO chance of MLS! St.Louis can't even get a group to bring a very low level women's team or a low level men's team much less an MLS team!

But who cares? MLS is boring and the ratings are horrible despite over 15 years of existence. MLS is stuck in a ratings wasteland. Even very well established sports like baseball and basketball have to deal with stagnant ratings. MLS isn't even on the ratings map!

But I still hold out hope that we can get a cheap women's team. They've got to make things even cheaper than WPS for sure! In St.Louis we should be able to give them a solid 2K to 3K attendance per game!

6. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, I'm going to have to politely disagree with you on the MLS statements and assume that you haven't paid much attention to the MLS within the last few years, or the viewing stats. I'm a huge MLS fan now and in fact last season was the first year where I actually cared more about MLS than I did the EPL, and that continues this season. Have you ever been to a MLS game? Amazing! I have made it a point to travel to see a MLS game at least once a year (a ritual I have been able to follow up on since 2008). So far I've been to Houston, KC x4 and Chicago. I'm heading out there on Sept 1 as well, taking my son to his first pro game.
    I'm a HUGE soccer fan, it's the only sport I watch. I can spot differences in quality of play in each league and I truly understand the game, the MLS is not what it once was....but regardless that's a conversation/debate for a different thread. Back to topic.....
    We all want a women's team, we all want a men's team. no matter what level. The St.Louis Soccer Alliance is doing what it can to help make that happen. The biggest response we've had from potential owners is that they are afraid that the support isn't there, for any team. That is one of the reasons why the STLSA has put together a petition that will be used to prove that support to potential owners and investors. If you haven't signed it, keep your eye on the STLSA group on Facebook, or Floodplain Footy on Facebook. They will announce where/when the petition will be. Also, the group is planning on having an open forum at the end of this month, which will be a good chance to meet the members, ask questions, suggest ideas, etc.

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine if you like MLS but I agree with those who say soccer won't ever gain a national footprint in America. Even established sports are struggling so there is no room for MLS.

In getting a women's team we aren't looking to gain the nation's attention or anything...LOL.

8. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cville K C repped this.
  9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Can't wait to see the St. Louis Defendica as an expansion team in NWSL in 2015.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Slap a senseless "-ica" on the end of any 'future team' in any thread anywhere in the women's forum one more time and I will personally reach through the internet and break every bone in each of your fingers one at a time.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Portland Thornicate

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....not "on the end" of the name, nor a 'future team' as the Thorns are established, but clever retort nonetheless. Touché.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LOL

14. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you put in the "almost", because I will have to see it to believe it. It seems like in previous incarnations of St. Louis WPSL teams, they either didn't materialize other than a name or they only lasted a scant few matches. I think one did last a year or so, but not much longer. Let's hope this time is different.

Thanks for posting this, time4wine. If it comes to fruition, it will be better than nothing.

15. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and it looks like another team has materialized as well!!
    Fire and Ice. This team will play in Columbia, IL at the high school.
    The team's owner and Head Coach is Lindsay Kennedy, who was the first female to play in
    the MISL and played for the Steamers.
    http://fireandicesc.com/default.asp?page_id=home

The Defenders vs Fire & Ice could be a fun little Derby

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just thought I'd bump this thread, as the season is getting closer.

While F&I have been the more "public" team, making lots of roster, coaching, and staff moves known, the Defenders have been relatively quiet - although they recently changed their name and upgraded their logo: http://www.fpfooty.com/?p=2628
    I was a little worried about them b/c their place on the WPSL site seemed to drop away a while ago, but it sounds like they're still there. Just flying very much under the radar. On the opposite side of the spectrum, it sounds like F&I will be rather competitive.

(Also, for fun, a general description of the STL soccer setup from a while ago: http://www.fpfooty.com/?p=2580)

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, so much for one of those teams. From facebook....

St. Louis City SC
    It is with the deepest regret that St Louis City SC announces that we will be forgoing the 2013 WPSL season. This decision was not one which was taken lightly but we feel that it is in the best interest of the club’s long-term success.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this causes for our players, volunteers, supporters, and fans.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well boo. That could explain why they've been off WPSL's site for a while now, if the league was uncertain of how ready the team would (or would not) be. And, considering the type of organizations that are attracted to WPSL, if a team doesn't get off the ground on time that usually means it doesn't get off the ground ever. =-/

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a while. Any chance St.Louis can get a MLS expansion team and resurrect the Athletica?

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...why was Canada brought up in a St. Louis thread?

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
  22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was Canada brought up?? I take it St.Louis never got one of those lower level women's teams?

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #48 SiberianThunderT, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Check Blaze's response above - the posts pertaining to Canada were moved to the Canada thread.

And actually, STL now has Fire & Ice SC, they're in their third season in WPSL - they were 2nd in the Midwest Conference in 2013 (and won the Midwest playoffs), and 3rd in 2014 when the Red Stars Reserves joined WPSL. They play in Columbia IL, due east of Fenton, MO and due south of E.STL, IL

W-League is crumbling and, while probably not going to be dropped by USL brass because that'd be horrible PR, it's losing many of the strengths it had. Since 2011, W-League has dropped from 27 to 18 teams despite other expansions, including losing 8 of its past 9 champions (and 14 of the past 18 finalists); the future of Atlanta (champion and two-time finalist) is also somewhat uncertain. W-League had a U-20 league for a few years, but now WPSL has jumped in to the U-20 game as well, and there's even a section in the NWSL roster rules for WPSL players with no corresponding mention of the W-League.

I think WPSL is going to force the W-League out of the WoSo landscape just as USL is poised to do to NASL in the BroSo landscape, down to their top-division connections and ease of expansion and everything.

24. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is NWSL doing compared to WPS & WUSA? With this new men's St.Louis FC team does that help the return of the Athletica in the future? In this new NWSL wouldn't an average attendance of just 2000 be enough to survive?

it would he great but it just wouldn't be the same. That was the perfect team with Chalupny, Solo, Boxx, Aluko, etc. With the Women's World Cup coming up we have to see if the new players can rekindle that magic.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NWSL is in its third year and doing MUCH better than WPS and WUSA were doing in their respective third years. Most teams aside from Portland do lose money, but Seattle and Washington are pretty close to break-even, and most if not all teams are losing less than WPS teams did - much, much less than $1mil/year. No teams seem like folding, and NWSL is currently at 9 teams with six groups - at least three of which attached to men's teams - interested in joining by 2018. I don't think a 2k average will be sustainable in the long run, but three or four NWSL teams currently seem to be doing fine on that number.

I honestly have no clue what STLFC means for STL WoSo. I doubt the Athletica brand itself will be back - if that were in the cards, then STLFC would probably have started off as reviving ACSTL instead. Even if STLFC were interested in WoSo, since they're USL-affiliated already that would mean joining the W-League, which no longer even has a Central conference. STLFC won't join WPSL simple because of the chasm between the USL organization and WPSL. I think FISC promoting to NWSL, which is highly unlikely to begin with, is still more likely than STLFC starting a women's side.