What about a new logo already???

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by futbol571, Nov 21, 2003.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    They said a few years back this was coming ... still don't see it and we have the WORST logo in MLS today, the Clash was the worst ever.

The Earthquakes & Metros did major logo rehauls. The Wizards, DC & LA made slight differences as well. We can certainly get a new logo.

Are they waiting to do it with the stadium opening? While they are at it ... can we lose the olive/puke green color?

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we can start an email campaign to help influence things.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if having the Burn's logo changed was on Greg Elliott's "To Do" list, but it might not be that high up on the list.

If a number of us email him within the next few months re Wasabi horse, perhaps changing the Burn's logo could receive a higher priority.

3. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure things like logo will fall behind things like Cotton Bowl move and coach search on the "to do" list.

4. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    What was up with the wasabi anyway?

Were the Burn hoping to gain the attention of Japanese women?..

"Hey, that is one HOT horse!"

:eek:

5. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone please post the Clash's old logo, I'd like to compare it to the Burn's current logo.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus that little thing that they're working on on the Dallas Parkway.

Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, changing the logo is pretty much just arranging the deck chairs. In my opinion, at least. If the Burn suck ass on the field again next season, if the fan experience sucks at the Cotton Bowl next season, if they flub things with the Frisco stadium, the best logo on the face of the earth won't help.

BTW, they got rid of the wasabi green as a team color a few years ago when they got rid of Nike. The uniforms only have red, black, and of course, white in them. About the only place where the wasabi green still appears is in the logo, but if you think that that means that it's still a team color, then you need to start hanging out with the dippy DC United fans who justify calling their team the "Black and Red," just because their badge is mostly red.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard that a new logo that incorporates the horse but is enclosed within a circle or shield is being seriously considered for 2005. By then a new uniform should be out and of course the new stadium should be opening. It wouldn't take long for a new logo to be worked out. Maybe they could show us 3 or 4 designs and have a contest to pick the favorite. Could someone try and come up with a few designs? Take away the lightning feet, maybe show only part of the horse and enclose within different shapes with the club name and year started in there somewhere. Come on you talented artistic types.

8. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    nay. let's leave the logo, and become the ghostriders. Go look at the Burn logo, and tell me there's no ghost on that horse.

They can still be called the Burn, but the nickname should be the ghostriders, and eventually that will become the name. Then they can put RIDERS in the spot where the BURN is, and people will get it.

We can keep the name of the Inferno, since where else would a ghostrider be from? When we score a goal they can play Ghostriders in the Sky instead of Disco Inferno.

One thing I would like---let's switch primary color to black. Let's go to all black at home, with all white road. Third jersey can be white with red trim. Chivas is going to be red and white, we know that. So let's get out ahead and go with black as the primary color.

9. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    I don't know about the players, but when I manage to make it to a game I think I'll keep my red replica on. You won't catch me in a black jersey in august.

10. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Oy!

I briefly thought of reflective silver jerseys for a moment!

I'm bliiiiiind, I'm bliiiiiiiind! ;)

11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    changing the logo is a must, but not a priority.

Now we are going to have another red team in the league? This is when the idea of going to an orange colored jersey(like Wolves, Boston United) comes in hand.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    "The Wolves Are Going To The Premeirship!!!!!"

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They might be going back down, but they shoud do better than Leeds. Now NYR Metros, can you draw?

14. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I used to be the general manager of a screenprint company and have years of graphics experience.

I didn't want "Enter the Dragon" on the Inferno shirts. I'll stay out of this one.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    LOL

nahh I can;t draw man
    I'm pretty effen useless....

16. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    True but I think that a front office staff of adults can walk and chew gum at the same time if need be. So I'm sure they can improve the play on the field at the same time as unveiling a new logo. The two really don't affect the other.

There is also no reason to wait until 2005, if what you are doing is improving. The Metros arent waiting for there new stadium, Arsenal didnt wait either. So Dallas can certainly unveil the nbew logo in 2004 ... waiting is just another waste of time that soccer certainly does not need.

17. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A change is long overdue. We want a logo that is modern, bold, classy and bleeds red and black. We don't want out logo to look cartoonish ala the old Metrostars' logo.

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so.

19. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new or at least updated logo will be a while in coming - 2005 at the earliest. It will cost a lot of money (from an MLS perspective) and a huge time investment to change the logo. Off the top of my head, here are some things that will have to be changed when we get a new logo:

Letterhead
    Envelopes
    Business Cards
    Electronic Versions of logo
    Vendor Promotion set-ups
    Promotional Banners
    Burn Tents
    Team Flag
    (displayed at each MLS stadium)
    Uniforms (approx 24 x 5)
    Training gear
    Give-away t-shirts
    Burn Merchandise
    (for sale):
    (I'm only including items that they currently have in stock that would become immediately obsolete if the logo changed)
    Baseball caps
    Sun Visors
    Polo Shirt
    T-shirts
    Scarf
    Pennants
    Pins
    Team Logo ball
    Wall Clock

There is a lot more than that - it's not as simple as just slapping the new badge on the uniform and adding it to the website. Just some food for thought when you are feeling impatient - the allocation of time and money is prioritized, and the logo change is fairly low on priorities of things that need to happen, which is below the list of things that MUST happen.

20. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Who really cares about the logo?

1. Better product on the field
    a. Defense
    b. Attacking playmaker
    c. Forwards that put the ball in the net
    d. Defense (or am I repeating myself)

2. Putting Frisco in place

3. Better marketing to:
    a. Hispanic Fans
    b. Mom/Pop soccer fans
    c. Casual sports fans
    (the soccer diehards even went to Southlake)

GE took care of:
    1. Good stadium w/ beer (back to the Cotton Bowl)
    2. Getting a coach (looks like Clarke)

But a logo is not #1 on the list, or 2 or 3 for that matter.

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having a tough time seeing how changing the logo is going to be so expensive or time consuming for the Burn.

Sure, they might have to pay a few bucks to get a first class design rather than one that looks like it was done by somebody's kid.

But if they plan this thing in advance, a lot of the incremental costs will be minimal if a little common sense is used.

Suppose the Burn decide they wish to change the logo a year from now. The smart thing to do, of course, would be to manage the supply of items with the current logo so they run out about the time the new logo is introduced in Jan 2005.

Also, things like uniforms are changed annually anyhow, so adding a new logo to them will have little effect on team costs. And when it comes to things like Burn Tents, I sincerely doubt anyone would care one iota if the team continued to use tents with the old logo even after the team switches to a better logo design.

22. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have hit the nail on the head - it will require planning to do this the smart way, but many on this board have been agitating to have it happen NOW - which it clearly will not. As far as things like the tent, etc. from a marketing perspective the cohesiveness of a brand and logo is very important. Part of what makes a franchise professional in the eyes of the casual fan is a professional appearance.