What a Great Day for a ride!

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by cleansheetbsc, Oct 12, 2008.

1. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Gonna try to go for a decently long ride today. We'll see whether that actually happens...

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    35 relatively flat miles yesterday with my neighbor at a 17 mph pace. Today 2500 ft of climbing, 14.9 mph average. Was supposed to do 42 miles, did 41.1 as I flatted .9 from home. Too tired and lazy to change, walked the rest of the way home.

aveslacker repped this.
  3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Had the day off today. Skipped watching the tour. Went for an 80 mile ride. 4100 ft of climbing. Longest ride I've done in 6 or 7 years.

aveslacker, KCFutbol and Dead Fingers repped this.
  4. tolbuck

tolbuck Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    Jun 24, 2001
    toledo, oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I biked 25 miles today. 200 feet of climbing, which is what happens when you live in the flattest area of the US outside the Everglades. This put me over 1100 miles for the year, which I'm proud of considering in the past I had never gone over the 1000 mile mark before Labor Day. It is amazing how much easier it is to ride when you've lost 40 pounds.

cleansheetbsc, KCFutbol and aveslacker repped this.
  5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Getting pumped up for Rensselaerville Bike Festival Grand Fondo tomorrow. Medium distance, 55 miles, 5000 ft of climbing. Best part, as it could easily be 45 and raining tomorrow will be sunny and 80 degrees. Will report back.

aveslacker repped this.
  6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    OK that fondo was well worth the price of admission. Epic ride.
    80 degrees and sunny
    Catskill Mountains and Heldeberg Range were full ablaze in fall colors
    Members of the Sutter Home Jamis team were on hand to ride
    I did the 55 mile ride. With that you get 5,800 feet of climbing (there was an 85 mile option with +9000 ft of climb). Some long climbs. The last one 2.5 miles at an average of 8%, final 700 meters at about 15%, that is where my quads ceased up on me. From about 1.5 miles away, you can see the support/rest stop tent like some dessert oasis or the shining city on a hill.
    Throw in two climbs on dirt roads through state forest land on logging roads (25 road tires worked, though I have not inspected them for damage).
    Was very strong, staying with riders that usually drop me on a regular Tuesday ride. Was fine until that final 'wall' Last six miles was just to get to the beer.
    And the beer was delish...
    As an added bonus, I won a raffle prize, a full Sutter Home/ Jamis team kit (Craft brand).

Cannot wait until next year. Even if it rains.
    Top of "the wall"
    [​IMG]

aveslacker and Dead Fingers repped this.
  7. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a great day. Congratulations on your accomplishment.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  8. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks great. I remember hiking through a place called Whetstone Gulf in upstate New York last fall and being amazed by the fall foliage. Congrats on the ride.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well today wasn't a 'great' day for a ride, but I did anyway. 24 miles, 35 degrees and cloudy (it was either that or flipping between the Bills/Browns and Giants/Jags). Since it snowed a few days ago, I took out the cyclecross bike and did a little offroad the last mile finding some deep mud. Required to hose off the bike and myself once I got home.

For the year, I am at 2700 miles. Need 300 during December. Should get there, though I will probably have to push a hundred or so out of the trainer.

aveslacker repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Today wasn't. Did 12 miles on the trainer with the Google Chrome training ride projected onto the tv. Up to 2,991 miles for the year. Tomorrow's high will be 25 degrees. I will do the final 9 miles outdoors and finish the year at 3,000.

aveslacker repped this.
  11. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet job! I saw a cheap fixie in one of the markets out here the other day and considered buying it, but this is not the place to be riding those things. Too much traffic and too many hills.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Damn, my Strava account shows 0 this morning.

aveslacker repped this.
  13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First ride for 2015 was this morning's commute. Temp was 8°, tying my record for coldest bike ride. Disappointed as last night inAccuWeather said it would be 4°. :)

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Getting back to the gym, after my collarbone break. Will hopefully salvage some of the season.

aveslacker repped this.
  15. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to get after it! Gotta get back on the bike and slay those demons.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Annual Adirondack Mountain Club 75-mile charity ride yesterday. 4,300 ft of climbing. I was supposed to do it with a cousin of mine, but he backed out on Friday with a blood clot in his calf.

Ended up riding it solo despite knowing a few paces and hooking up with groups every now and then. Spent about 30 miles with a guy from Hamburg, Germany who was here on vacation. He heard about the ride, purchased a bike and joined the ride. He could seriously bomb it downhill, so I would just sit on his wheel down. In return, I would pace him up the hills.

And that does it. I will never drink Gatorade again. Even watered down, it just bloats your stomach during endurance events like this. Thought I needed a little due to the warm weather, climbing and sweating, but I swear it does more harm than good. I will stick to my pocket food and gels from now on.

aveslacker repped this.
  17. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gatorade has lots of sugar these days. I think it's probably better to go with food/gels/water.

Sounds like a great ride, though.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not bad. 2 40-mile rides over the Thanksgiving weekend. Friday we got a 60 degree day. Went out with one guy I usually go with and a guy fairly new to cycling. Big dude, 6'3" and 10 years younger than me. He doesn't realize how strong he is. That was a long suffering. Yesterday, about 25 degrees colder but nice warm sun. Went north into a north wind for 20 miles. We'll just say the last 20 were more enjoyable heading back.

Got 200 miles for the month. Always feels like stealing in November to get that much.

KCFutbol repped this.
  19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Loving El Nino in the northeast. 30 hard miles on Saturday, temps in the mid-40's. Then went to the shop and purchased a new cyclecross bike.
    [​IMG]
    Sunday, took it out on some dirt/gravel roads in Ichabod Crane's neighborhood for 38 miles in and out of sunshine and ice fog.

20. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And I am over the moon excited that I may hit 400 miles for January (mostly outdoors) with excitement.

205 miles a day is crazy.

I'm more curious if he rode all flat roads etc. When in Florida, along the ocean its pretty easy to ride 50 miles in 2.5 hours. You climb 200 ft total, really doesn't knock you out.. I rode with a bike mechanic that rides about 75 miles a day (between 24000-30000) miles a year.

22. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My best month ever is 658 miles. To do that in 3 days would kick my 63 year old butt. Flat, though, would sure help.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I 'm hoping to do 240 miles in 6 days when I get to Fla. next month.

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to jinx you, but that should be easily doable for you.