what a final day!

Discussion in 'France' started by lovingthegreen, May 17, 2008.

1. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was insane! I was watching the wrap-around coverage on Sopcast and the drama was incredible. Obviously, Lyon took care of the title scoring twice early on, but the battles for Champions League and UEFA Cup spots and avoiding the drop were incredible.

And there were 43 goals in the 10 games! And I thought Ligue 1 was one of the lowest-scoring leagues out there. That comes out to a goal every two minutes.

Wow. :)

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I didnt get to see any of it but it sounded awesome.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I read that the Toulouse president was in tears after the match. Tears of joy. Wow, what emotion.

4. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    The Marseille and the Nancy matches must have been really exciting..PSG probably had the most dramatic finish considering the game was tied and Diane scored his second goal to give his club the victory. Imagine if the PSG game would have finish with a draw and Lens got relegated because of that disallowed goal.

5. Padi

Padi New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    England
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Was obvious from early on that Lyon weren't going to slip up, but the drama at the other end was brilliant! Always thought Lens were the most likely to go down, but seeing Eric Carrière interviewed at the end almost in tears, really felt for him!

6. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    He played his heart out for Lens, but unfortunately his team had no chemistry. They really went down hill after Juisse left this squad last season.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Did St. Etienne get the Intertoto spot ?

8. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    They got the UEFA Cup spot.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Ok so PSG(Cup winner), Nancy(4th), and St. Etienne(5th) the UEFA Cup and Rennes(6th) in the Intertoto.

10. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    That is the ridiculous. Lens failed because of leadership plain and simply. Everyone but Leclercq should go, Gervais especially because he created this entire mess.

11. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    I feel sorry for Nancy. They were in the top 3 all season, only to fall off the podium at the last minute. But I much rather they play uefa where they could win some matches and boost their coefficient than come up in the third qualifying CL round against a team like Barca, Juve, Arsenal or Liverpool.

12. Tony the French

Feb 28, 2002
    French Rivieria
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The final day was incredible... 43 goals !!
    I'm happy for Marseile and i'm sad for Lens.

13. HADJI

HADJI New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    RC Lens
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    French football is dead and buried! stick a fork in it! Lens, France's most popular club is gone for good....take your Toulouse crap and shove it Ligue 1!

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Lens is France's most popular club ? Well that sure is new news to me. :)

15. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    You're delusional.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hey, it's no joke! once on vacation in finistere i saw a café painted sky blue and white with the RCL motto "droit au but" in letters 3 feet high... they have fan clubs EVERYWHERE! :eek:

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Even though Lens are a popular team they really dont spend a lot of money. They arent a "low budget team" by French standards but the ratio of fan support to budget doesnt seem proportionate. A team that popular should have a higher budget than they do. Maybe its because its a small town is the reason. I bet Toulouse's budget is similar to theirs and we all know Toulouse's support compared to Lens's support.

18. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Last season Lens doubled Toulouse's in terms of budget and is usually in the top four to six. I imagine figures would be similar for this season.

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/forum/hors-sujet/sport/budgets-2006-2007-de-ligue-1-id144148-page1.html

OL 110
    Marseille 75
    Paris 70

Lens 60
    Bordeaux 55
    Monaco 50
    Nantes 50

Saint-Etienne 42,5
    Sochaux 40
    rennes 38
    Lille 36
    Toulouse 34
    Auxerre 31,5
    Nice 27

Le Mans 22,5
    Troyes 22,5
    Valenciennes 22,5
    Nancy 22
    Sedan 22
    Lorient 20,5

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Those budgets aren't accurate. I saw a site that said Lens's budget was 45 mil this year and will be reduced to 25 mil next year in Ligue 2 says their president.

20. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Lens' budget this year was just over 67 million so whatever site you saw was inaccurate (http://www.footmercato.net/le-rc-lens-peut-il-se-remettre-d_article20802.html). The figures quoted above were from France Football so I'm not sure why they'd be wildly inaccurate. And this year's budget is directly from a Lens employee.

Next year's budget has to come down. Just in the mandated salary cuts for descending that takes a big chunk. We got relegated, of course the budget is going to be significantly different but to say we didn't spend much when we were consistently in the top 6 spenders just behind the likes of OM, PSG, OL is just silly.