What’s next?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    OK, we have the expansion draft behind us. SuperDraft will be early January. Can we expect international signings, discovery, P40 players between now and then?

Does anyone have a timeline of when we can expect the rest of our signings?

2. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i would imagine that international signings won't really happen until the january transfer window.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The MLS transfer window started Monday (nov 22) but don't expect much til January. When RSL knows something expect it to leak quickly either here or on RSL forums.

4. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    All I want to hear is Mathis.

Oh I guess I wouldn't mind hearing we were getting Conor Casey, Eddie Lewis, Jonathan Specter, and any other good yanks abroad while we're at it. Since we're shopping, let's take a Nedved, Morientes, and that Greek defender that did so well in Euro, whatever his name is, and they can be our SI's.

5. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Maybe this is off-topic; but we also need an assistant coach and announcers.

What's Octavio Zambrano doing these days? It would be very entertaining to see him reunited with Clint...........

Bill Marcroft & John Parkin for English language radio.

David Kifuri & Fito Ovalle for Spanish language radio.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked Ellinger during his online chat a month or so back about assistant coaches. He said he would like to get some of his staff from the U17. However his first asst coach just took Ellingers old job, so he is out of the running for RSL.

7. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Speaking of Announcers: Although I know this is an emotional subject, with lots of opinions, here are my favorite English announcers

Phil Schoen
    John Paul Dellacamera
    Max Bretos

8. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If HotTicket ends up with soccer I would put my money on Bill Riley doing the play by play. Also... since he is on the pay roll already there is this kid who used to play keeper for the Blitzz, Chad Sackett, who would probably be an excelent color guy.

English: Bill Riley & Chad Sackett
    Spanish: A couple guys that are latino, which excludes me.

9. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
  10. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    Wait a minute!
    Did you just say Bill Marcroft?

I like the old coot as much as you do but I don't see anyway he knows diddly about soccer. He got enough stuff wrong with pointyball and soccer doesn't use replays every 30 seconds to catch up.

You know all this, I just had to say it.

11. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Greg Wrubell and Chris Agnello?

You're right about Marcroft. Hopefully, RSL will be moving too fast for Marcroft to keep up with.

12. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing people seem to be missing is that you need to work for station to do the play-by-play.

Marcoft "retired" (read: didn't get his contract renewed because the new management thought he sucked) so he won't be doing pbp unless it is on 1160, 1280 or 1320.

It won't be on 1320 because Dave Checketts and Larry Miller don't get along and Miller owns 1320.

1160 won't pick it up because they have no reason to they are a news talk station... they have BYU Sports and that is all the sports they do.

So for radio that leaves 1280 or 700. So, if pbp is by a guy currently in the market it is going to be someone from one of those two stations.

The other guys are out cause their station won't get the contract and then they have to worry about conflict of intrest deals.

On the TV end though... you could see Wrubel doing pbp but only if it is picked up by KSL. He works for KSL radio so you are back to conflict of intrest. The same for anyone from 700 if it is not on ABC4. The sports programming for 700 and ABC4 is cobranded. Then apply the same to 1280 and 2News.

So with that said... Greg Wrubel would do a good job because he actaully follows soccer a bit. I also think Bill Riley could do a good job. Outside of that I really don't see anyone that we already have on the air in Utah doind it and doing it well. But it will be fun to wait and see who ends up with those gigs.

Chris Agnello??? He could actually be a great fit...

13. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Yesterday, I heard Tom Barbieri on 1280. He will substituting.

Barbieri & Agnello!

OK, so Barbieri knows nothing about soccer. That never stopped Ty Keough, Jack Edwards & double especially not Brent Musberger back in 98.

14. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this happens I think we should all sever our auditory nerves so that we don't have to suffer through the pain of listening to Barbieri try and call a soccer game.
    Or a less painfull alternative is eliminating every radio within broadcast range of the 1280 signal.

Agnello would be a good choice, but spare us the pain of having to listen to Barbieri.

15. ilvfutbol

ilvfutbol New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    If I remeber right, I think saw Chad Sackett doing the play by play on a BYU soccer game. The game was either on KBYU or the BYU-TV channel.
    Agnello and Sackett would be a good combo. I also think there needs to be a spanish flavor in the mix. Any ideas? I read about Adolfo Ovalle and that woud be good.

16. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dellas ???

He plays for Roma now...who are at the bottom of Serie A...they migt also be selling players due to financial issues