Wfan Sports staton

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    but you keep coming back, how about send WFAN a email?

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We appreciate those messages telling us how much this thread is disliked. After all, those messages bump this thread to the top. Thanks.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I hear this morning, on the 5.30 am show, also suppose to come out on the NY Times, the Dog is up for a contract, and his getting offers from ESPN 1050, could be the end of the team, of Mike and the Dog, they also mention they don't get along.

http://www.wfan.com/

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Meanwhile just keep send the emails, at least the know we are around, don't have to be only Metrostars fans

5. Creeper_thp

Creeper_thp New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    It doesn't matter much, if the thread ever gets dangerously low Frank will just reply to it 3 times in a row. Do you realize that approximately every other post in here, on average, is his? That's bizarre.

And I suppose I shouldn't bother, considering after the part where you guys were happy someone died because it will apparently help the cause of soccer in America, you're beyond help.

6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't bunch people into a stereotype. Just because we post in the same thread does not mean we think alike.

Why don't you specifically name the person or persons who were happy instead of generalizing to "you guys"? And is "happy" the word they used or is it a word you are using?

You are implying that a whole group was happy. And by using MY quote you are implying that I am one of "you guys". That is a big fat lie.

If you don't like this thread but see that others do, why is it your business to tell others to discontinue? Just mind your own business and stay away.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Interesting :)
    lol

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm beginning to like this thread more and more, with each day

don't be afraid to send e mails and news about Soccer to WFAN, just to it

9. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    and this guy is the worst of all of them.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    MSG to televise live the final of the Big East Tournament, Sunday at noon

Mike St. John's is on the final

11. golmirivan

golmirivan New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    east brunswick
    I just send a email to WFAN
    I like you guys to cover the MLS Cup between San Jose vs Chicago, all it takes is a few minutes to interview a couple of the players.

Its time to give Soccer the recognition it deserves.

12. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy's, whatever you do,please don't be pushy or obnoxious in your emails. You'll just turn people against us.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    you might want to run a grammar and spell check over your emails too...

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't know, maybe it's good that these letters tend to be horribly written with little regard for grammar or logic. That way, the people who read the letters will assume that they are written by kids and won't reach the natural conclusion soccer fans are a bunch of stupid. whiny, narrow minded panty waists with minimal understanding of how things work in the real world.

EDIT: caughty my own grammatical error :p

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    well sports talk radio isn't exactly a mensa meeting. however, if the people (person) on this thread thinks it's so important for WFAN to cover or talk so much about soccer... maybe they should be reminded of the fact that talk radio is a live medium. if you have the passion enough to continually email and harrass someone, who admits that not many people call in looking to talk about the Metros... then call in. why not spend a few hours of your day sitting on hold to make a 30 second comment on a radio station. If you can't get by producers, lie about what you want to talk about then talk about the Metros...

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Of course, a better way to make an impact is to inherit a couple of billion dollars and buy Clear Channel, Viacom or some other media conglomerate so you can control the content.

Another thing to remember is the 80/20 rule of talk radio, that is, 80% of callers represent 20% of the audience. So it won't take too many of these BigSoccer lunatic(s) to get soccer on the air.

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I agree

18. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Another thing to remember is that sports talk radio isn't about sports coverage or even interest, it's about profits. WEEI in Boston which claims to be the highest rated sports talk station in the country focuses exclusively on Boston sports as opposed to WFAN which is more nationally focused. Also they focus almost exclusively on Patriots and Red Sox because they're the two most popular teams in town. And those decisions are based purely on a format which they think gives them the best chance of making money and getting ears to listen. It's not about fairness or journalistic responsability one bit.

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All media companies are about making profits. That is a given. They focus on the major sports, and screw the fringe sports, because that's where they can pick up readership/listeners. That is the cycle that we are trying to break by asking everyone on BS to make it a habit, maybe once a month, to e-mail a local talk show and politely state that you are a listener and want soccer coverage. If we don't put any pressure on them then certainly the status quo will prevail. If we do put pressure on them, then there is a hope things may change in the distant future. The naysayers on this thread point out the probability is nil, and I don't disagree. But we have to keep trying.

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

good for trying, keep the letters coming

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Keep putting the pressure, I am.

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    and I know we got worry about the merger between MSG TV and the Yes Channel

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    just send the news to WFAN. about DC United and Mls deal with Freddy Adu

do you guys ever watch the beer commercial, in the desert Island?

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Hope to see Mike and the Dog at the Adu press conference, at MSG