Wfan Sports staton

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 27, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    grrr......... nada so far........

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    god damn it..... Sunday morning at 1:25 am and the lines are still busy.....

3. brumbear

brumbear New Member

Dec 18, 1999
    Hopatcong N.J.
    hey I sent an Email the worst they can do is what they are doing the best they can do is help the parents to understand ther childrens and future listeners favorite sport and give it some very well deserved media coverage. look what the US nats accomplished in 10 years it has taken other countries scores of years to achieve this.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Well they did mention last night's dreadful Metros score on the Sports Flash last night.....

5. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    I wish you guys luck in getting more coverage, but I would echo what Kevin suggested in looking at ESPN 1050.
    Any radio (or television) station will add new programing provided:

- There is an audience: You guys are demonstrating that, and if I could actually tune into WFAN, I'd be emailing too.

- There is available programming space: I don't know about ESPN 1050, but WFAN already devotes huge blocks of airtime to Imus, and Mike and the Mad Dog, as well as coverage of the Knicks, Rangers, Giants and Mets. Is it really worth getting a soccer show if the only available time is 2:30-3:30 am Wednesday mornings? (Remembering that a radio is not exactly like a TV in that you can't program it to record). I don't know what ESPN has on, but they might be more receptive to the idea than an already sports-loaded FAN.

In the meantime, keep emailing, you never know, but I'd also be looking at other options.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    ESPN 1050 covers the Jets and Islanders.... why would I want a soccer show on that station??? :)

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    they always got time for Short AL

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    How the hell do these wankers get a special # to call ?????????

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    its always the same guys the called between 1am and 5 :30am

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    gonna try again tonight as I do some HW for school....

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    in my heart WFAN will always be #1

12. golmirivan

golmirivan New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    east brunswick
    it pays to keep on e-mailing to WFAN, requesting for more Soccer time

I just got a response from WFAN

We're getting a lot of e-mails like yours and we will continue to pass them on to our program director. Thank you for writing in

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's good news. I'm gonna head on over to www.wfan.com and shoot off another email soon. :)

this is what I wrote......

The New York Metrostars will be playing Game 2 of playoffs series with the New England revolution on Sunday, 4 pm at Gillete Stadium. The game will be broadcast live on MSG. The Metrostars need to win the game by 3 goals in order to move on. I hope WFAN will give the Metrostars a least a little coverage in what could be their final game of the season, yet their most important to date. I hope that WFAN will in the future give the Metrostars, and soccer in general some coverage in the future. I understand that Joe Tolleson is a soccer fan, would it be possible to give him some air time to discuss some soccer? Thank you very much for your time, and have a wonderful day.

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Good job guys, this are the kind of letters the going to help the game grow,
    keep it up

by the way NYR Metros you did a good job on 620 AM last Monday too bad was between Mid and 2 am

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanx mate! I try to bring some passion to my radio sessions. :)

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    the way we came on the radio, you are a perfect guy to call WFAN, I will back you up anytime

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I appreciate it mate :) Hmm..... nah forget it.... WFAN will be infested with Knicks and Lee Mazzilli talk all night....

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    next week we should try to get the email for 710 AM the station of the Nets and send some emails

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    nahh.... too low profile for us... :D

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    thanks, we need more of this coming

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    In the summer time they have a lot of time to broadcast some of the Metrostars games

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides e-mailing, I sent a letter to the head of programming at wfan. He responded with a letter that clearly states that wfan has NO interest in soccer discussion. Here is his response:

October 30, 2003

Dear Norman,

At this point we will not commit to any soccer coverage other than giving the scores of the Metrostars games. There is just not enough interest by enough listeners to warrant any other coverage.

Sincerely,

(signed)
    Mark Chernoff
    Program Director
    WFAN-AM
    Astoria, NY

(end of letter)

Their address is 34-12 36th Street,
    New York, NY 11106
    Fax is: 718-361-9234
    They are owned by Infinity Broadcasting Corp.

24. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now where did we hear this before?

Oh yeah - page 1 of this thread.

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    What was the harm in trying mate? Didn't waste our time, and I doubt it wasted theirs....