We've been demoted

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bsman, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfit Company

In desperation
    San Jose fans mourn our loss
    Unfit company.

Supporters Shield year
    Fails to impress also-rans
    Seems we whine too much.

From the largest part
    Of our sporting attentions
    MLS has shrunk.

No longer can we
    get exercised about their
    future year's concerns.

Draft? Schedule? Tickets?
    Trivia, fading away
    Our worries no more.

Not a charity-
    someone else's business.
    Find it hard to care.

They'll live without us.
    Their choice. AEG's control
    required assertion.

They need their venues
    for concerts, the story goes.
    Soccer fans, pish tosh.

So our soured passions
    Are old news to BigSoccer.
    Quit whining, they say.

Fan-base Overboard!
    Marooned, we watch MLS
    swirl away, spinning.

Drifting, left behind,
    Two Cups, a Shield, remind us
    For what we had cared.

Receding into
    the distance, will they come back?
    I won't hold my breath.

DougO

2. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and CityIceMan asked us to play nice and let others share their non-SJ fan's opinions. Right. If Chelsey's post isn't trolling, then what is?

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your own moderator basically summed up what I was trying to say..
    He just said it in much more forum friendly manner.

4. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Calling us whiney is liking saying to the victims of a crime that they should suck it up, and forget it all because they are in great part responsible for the crime against them, i.e., a) they were in the wrong place, b) they wore provocative clothing that caused the criminal to perpetrate his crime, c) they allowed their money to be shown or d) any of the other ways that victims cause themselves to be victims. We had our team taken away from us, and by a miscreant owner who didn't want to be here in the first place and didn't do a damned thing in finding a local owner who would take over the team.
    We've got a right to bitch, moan, complain whine and be bitter. If you don't like it, you suck it up and go somewhere else.

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's general, tolerable whining. (That ref is horrible; darn cost us the match!)

And then there's SJ fans circa.. oh right about now. (MLS is DEAD to ME, you HEAR that MLS?!?!?! Do YOU?)

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is the Crew forum so dead this time of year?

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...and then there's miscellaneous Crew fans and the like whining intolerably and inexplicably about what's written in another city's forum.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because losing a game is an injustice so much greater and worthy of complaint than losing a team.

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's valid complaints, and then there's ridiculous complaints. Complaining that AEG didn't put sufficient effort into the SJ market is valid. Complaining that the SJ forum got moved out of the MLS Teams area is ridiculous.

When you make ridiculous complaints, you should expect others to respond in a ridiculous manner. To call that trolling is a stretch when you bring it on yourselves. There have been some real, genuine trolls in the past few weeks, but this is not one of them.

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have to agree and disagree.

If you -- an esteemed member/mod of this forum-- want to tell a poster that his/her comments seem petty or ridiculous, that is your prerogative. (As one who can easily slip into a maudlin or obsessive mood myself, I appreciate the occasional kick in the butt.)

Conversely, there's been an influx of new posters in the last few weeks--people who never posted before on an Earthquakes board--people who seem to be here for the sheer pleasure of feasting on our collective unhappiness and neg repping as many Quakes' fans as possible. Since the label "troll" seems to have become very un-PC, will anyone object if I call these new posters "vultures"???

Although some of these vultures have valid points, their arrogant, better-than-thou presentation leaves a lot to be desired. Moreover, I bet that most of them have wandered in here because they aren't very popular on their home forums. I'm hoping that they will eventually go away if ignored.

11. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. :p

This comment hits the nail on the head. What gets me is those who may have never posted or read the Quakes board or haven't a clue about the history of the club in MLS. They come here to this forum (and the former Quakes forum in MLS teams) to tell US what happened or why we lost our team or how we should feel. US, the very people who have been involved in helping save the team and keeping a daily watch on any and all news for TWO YEARS (+ - if you wanna count from the beginning of MLS's existence). US, the very people who have lived with this team as a part of their family.

Nope, that's not trolling. :rolleyes:

I would never wish this upon anyone, but can't they just think what it might be like if they lost THEIR team, especially under the circumstances in which we lost our Boys.

Wise up people MLS is NOT about soccer. It's about AEG.

12. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing. This board, I think, has been of great use to organize fans. We NEED this forum to communicate.

Visitors - let us use the forum to accomplish our goal of bringing back our team for 2007. Quit with the freakin nonsense distractions.

If you have something to add that will help us regain our team. Great! If not, leave us the heck alone. We're busy.

13. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Normally I would be offended, but then I remembered I don't have to live in Ohio.

14. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys need to remember that this is BigSoccer, and it's not just for San Jose fans. If you can find a site where only San Jose fans are welcome, then you can go post there and not worry about trolls or vultures or anyone else disturbing you.

We mods are doing our best to keep the discussion going on level terms. But you guys need to do your part to keep the discussion focused.

If there is any trolling in this thread, you bet your ass we'll remove it. (*) There have been lots of posts on other serious threads which we have removed. I can't link to them because those posts are in the bin. If you see trolling in a serious discussion thread, be sure to use the little icon ([​IMG]) to report the post, we all get an email and then it gets taken care of.

But threads like this just invite the outsiders to come in and make fun of us because they're so ridiculous.

This thread about our forum being moved, is among the ridiculous. There's nothing to discuss and yet we complain, so the outsiders come in. If you don't like it, don't respond to the thread, let it slip to the bottom, and then they won't come in.

(*) Note that Naco is a Quakes fan, who has the sheer gall to remain a soccer fan after our team is taken away from us. It's just lovely the way you guys have turned on him in the last two weeks. I am seeing some very ugly behavior from some of the Quakes fans regulars here -- some kind of groupthink that says that if you're not completely in lockstep with the group about MLS, you're going to get flamed. It's not pretty.

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

As you can see from my original post, I wasn't whining or complaining - this was more of an observation. Therefore, Chelsey can ************.

16. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't make the original statement about the SJ forum being moved. I did observe that Chelsey was a dickhead...not for pointing out the "ridiculous" post but rubbing in our noses the team no longer being here. This isn't the rivalries board. Yes, we are big boys and girls (for the most part), but if you are going to jump into another team's (defunct or not) board, be civil.

Chelsey's original post:

"Bigsoccer.com should keep the Earthquake board in the main MLS sector because your club had the best regular season record in 2005. Phenomenal logic.
    Who cares if your club won't be playing a single match in 2006?
    No big deal that all your ex-players are playing for a club in.. where was that, again.. Texas?"
    Throw in the fact that your fans have become the most whiny bunch in all of MLS, pardon me, you aren't part of MLS.."

OK, she's not trolling there. Being a dickhead for being another Captain Obvious, but not trolling. Yes, thank you for pointing out to us the illogic of the original post. Great.

"And add in that your fans blamed BS for "losing your threads", when in actuality they were there the entire time. The term's called 'Darwinism' and it should be kicking in with your lot, any time now."

I guess not trolling...just being a dickhead.

"I think both BS and MLS have done the entire soccer world a favor by giving your club to Houston and relegating this place to the expansion lot. Had it been up to me, I'd have just pushed the big old 'delete' key and said "good riddance" to the entire board."

Just being a dickhead?? Naw, that's trolling...a provocative remark meant to inflame. If that remark isn't trolling, then I guess I need to take my "over-sensitive" pill again this morning. I'm sick of trying to converse with Quake fans or MLS fans who aren't dickheads in the Quakes forum without little girls from Ohio trying to give us lessons on BS.

Guarantee that if I posted in the Crew forum like Chelsey, I'd have Fidlerre down my throat.

And Chelsey's excuse is that she posted what you said but in not such a nice manner is hogwash. She is not a moderator nor is it her responsibility to police this board. We have Carlos for that!

17. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Forum friendly manner". Is that what they say in Ohio about a lack of class? Take it to the rivalries board or pick the scabs off your neighbor kid's ass. We have enough hard-feelings here now without you trying to poke your finger where it doesn't belong.

18. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I PM'd Naco. He's a good kid. Just a little too sensitive about his thread being hijacked by us over-sensitive Quake fans still pissed at AEG and MLS. He's growing up and we need to grow up.

Where's Mr. Rogers when you need him.

19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You specifically were not whining in your first post. But a bunch of non-SJ fans pointed out (not rudely) that this is the proper place for the San Jose forum, and a bunch of San Jose fans made some pretty stupid posts.

See the posts from billward, yourself, and yalpstel regarding the old threads. NOTHING WAS DELETED, EVERYTHING is still available, and yet you guys were jumping to conclusions and adding BigSoccer to the Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory of Why San Jose No Longer Has An MLS Team.

Posts like that are what summon the trolls.

Even then, fidlerre tried to help by pointing out that nothing was deleted. For you guys to complain about how non-SJ fans are ruining the forum... I see a bunch of non-SJ fans expressing sympathy, a bunch of SJ fans jumping on them, and then finally an actual troll shows up.

joe -- some of Chelsey's post was trolling, but by that point, this thread had already become worthless, and not due to any posts by any outsiders.

You guys gotta learn to live with the consequences of your posts. If you're going to post stupid crap, then you're going to get non-SJ fans coming in here to "contribute" the way Chelsey did.

We mods are doing our best to keep the actual useful threads from being interefered with by trolls, but we can't be everywhere. I can't speak for the other mods, but I am picking my battles. This thread was already useless so the posts from Chelsey don't get removed. If she posts the same thing in many other threads, her posts get binned.

If you don't like it, either don't take part in the threads that are causing the trolls to show up, or go find a site where only SJ fans are allowed. A couple of suggestions in case you feel BigSoccer is not doing enough to allow you to express yourselves: the SSV blog, and the forum on QuakeMagic.com.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you read this whole thread, you can see a bunch of posts from regulars to the tune of "yeah, so we're not on the main stage any longer, so what?" There are very few instances of a regular poster flaming another poster for expressing an opinion. There has been one regular poster on here who's been trying to pick fights with people, who has called others (including me) names, and who, as a result of his own behavior (not because of his views) has been treated as well as might be expected.

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    My opinion is that BS mods shouldn't even worry about "trolling" unless someone is not here to express an opinion, but just trying to be a nuisance. Non-San Jose fans can come here and express an opinion. And if San Jose fans don't agree, there can be a debate (and non-San Jose fans should expect some strong disagreement), which is fine as long as it doesn't get personal, etc. Alternatively, the "trolling" post can just be ignored.

What mods should do is remove posts that involve personal attacks or other inappropriate stuff. And that can come from either San Jose fans or non-San Jose fans. You can ridicule the argument w/o ridiculing the argumenter. I think that's where the line has to be drawn.

I don't think mods should be making value judgements about which threads are "ridiculous" and therefore worthy of derision from non-San Jose fans. If there are personal attacks from either side, no matter what the thread, those posts should be removed, and if the thread devolves into a personal battlefield it should be closed.

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agree. To me, this thread is part of the grieving process. It's similar to dealing with the death of a loved one, getting through the initial shock and sadness, thinking that you're doing okay, and then reacting strongly when you see the grave marker for the first time. Wow, the team is really dead. It's not coming back.

Also, the topic of the thread is irrelevant. I guess there are people out there in BS-land who wander all over the place looking for an opportunity to jump in and make a cutting remark that they evidently deem witty. The fact that the title of this thread may make it appear more "promising" than others is a blame-the-victim approach that ignores the main problems: rudeness and disrespect.

23. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    Will somebody put a bullet through this thread? It was stating the obvious from the beginning and now has degenerated far beyond all value.

24. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Technically, we are not getting an "expansion" team because San Jose is not a new market (we already had a team that was moved).

This is one of the items that was discussed with MLS with that LOI signed by the City.

25. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Thank goodness for that!