We've Acquired Danny Allsopp

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by CrimsonChin00, Jan 18, 2010.

1. CrimsonChin00

CrimsonChin00 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.behindthebadge.com/2010/01/united-inks-danny-allsopp.php
    Impressive resume. 31 year old forward.

Here's his full playing history:

1995 Croydon (Australia)
    1995-97 South Melbourne (Australia)
    1997-98 Carlton (Australia)
    1998-99, 2000 Manchester City (England)
    1999, 2000-03 Notts County (England)
    2000 Wrexham (England)
    2000 Bristol Rovers (England)
    2003-05 Hull City (England)
    2005-09 Melbourne Victory (Australia)
    2009-10 Al-Rayyan (Qatar)

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well, that's a start.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    BtB may want to re-write the presser. I don't think Allsopp ever played for Manchester City "at the highest level" in England. I think he played in the 1st and 2nd Divisions, but never the Premiership.

Thx,

Jay!

Added-Actually, he did play in the Premiership. One game, one start, my bad.

4. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? Wikipedia even says that he played for Manchester City. He probably wasn't on the A team but he did play there 2 two years.

This little gem is a bit discouraging though: National coach Pim Verbeek described Allsopp's performance against Indonesia in February 2009 as "absolutely hopeless".

5. dkstones

dkstones BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 11, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does anyone know anything about this guy? Not so much "he played in England," but how he has been doing lately and if the type of game he plays will age well.

Also, I am sure nobody knows yet, but the big question is how much this guy costs.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm assuming he's an SI. Did we pay a fee for him?

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They have promotion & relegation in England. They weren't in the Premier League in 98-99.

8. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Never heard of this guy until a couple minutes ago but he looks good on the highlight compilations at Behind the Badge. He looks like a more natural fit to fill Emilio's role than any of the players we currently have on the roster.

Big forward who shows some skill and favors his right foot. Could be the next Kenny Cooper or the next Matt Nickell.

9. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the video. I like the fact that he seems to always gravitate towards goal and that he keeps his shots very simple. He doesn't overstrike them and he doesn't try to walk every ball into the net.

If we get him good service, he might do well for us.

10. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592_oHjktm4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592_oHjktm4[/ame]

Here he is playing at his most recent club.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxdrnGvZfkc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxdrnGvZfkc[/ame]

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I was more concerned with the "at the highest level" part. But I guess, technically, the press release is right, since he did play one game in the Premiership.

Played with Ian Bishop at City. The jerk who played for the Miami Fusion.

Thx,

Jay!

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well..... hmmm.... I can't imagine him getting anything over 200k.

Here are some of his highlights.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592_oHjktm4"]YouTube- Best of Danny Allsopp - 2008/09[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O00d-qf0G6U"]YouTube- Best of Danny Allsopp - Melbourne Victory[/ame]

From the looks of things he may be that central forward we were looking for that is better on the ball, and more able to hold the ball and score on headers too. His balance seems good, and he seems 'strong'.

His shots seem kinda weak..... but we'll see. He seems to be able to finish from good service... thats good. He also seems like a better dribbler then Emilio, and can shoot well with both feet.

I hope he kills it for us this season, and we get a good central midfielder to help him with the service part.

Edit: I just got beat with the videos.

Judging from his performance with his last team, with the video above, he still looks good! The highlights and level of play were higher then the ones I have in Australia, and he seemed to play better in that clip!

I think he'll be fine here in the MLS, Put me down as liking this guy, and thinks he will be successful for us here in the MLS.

13. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I like what I see from the highlights.

He actually got in behind the defense quite a bit :eek:

Was he aware at the time of his signing that United traditionally like to walk the ball into the net and his diagonal runs and runs past the back four are pretty much a waste of time?

Nice size too..

14. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Great! That means he's unlikely to miss games during the World Cup.

15. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    It doesn't seem like they have an offside rule, or respectable goalies, in Australia.

16. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a very smooth finisher, and despite not being a speed demon, he makes good runs off the ball. Pretty happy so long as the salary isn't too high.

17. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know a whole lot about it, but I get the feeling that MLS defenders have a little more pace to recover than some of those defenders in the videos.

Or maybe Allsopp just makes running faster look, um, slower. :rolleyes:

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    He had three callups between 2007 and 2009 so I don't think he's in the picture for this summer. But it looks like Austrailia only really has 3 realistic striking options and if there's major injury it could be possible he's on the radar. Then again, Tim Cahill would probably play up front over an untested option.

Thx,

Jay!

19. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he doesn't overhit his shots. That's a good thing. Think back to Bobby Convey slamming his shots wide of the net. Fred too.

I'll take accuracy and simplicity over power all day long.

20. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the key. We just have to wait to see how he does against MLS-style defenders.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And Pontius, at times, last year.

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    As long as he positions himself and knows how to be open and doesnt try to come back like emilio did, his lack of 'pace' is fine by me.

Reminds me of a mcbride, aka your classic central forward striker, good with his head, positioning, heading, and shooting.

23. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more worried, assuming we will keep the usual DCU style, about getting a quality CAM type to get the ball to Allsopp, Pontius, etc

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^You are worried that we KEEP that style? Or that we wont find a gomez replacement in time?

25. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worried about finding a suitable Gomez replacement.