WEURO 2022 - Final England vs Germany

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lohmann, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Honestly both teams aren’t that scary. Feel like USWNT can beat them right now.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just for the sake of accuracy and not because I feel like it somehow invalidates your point, I guess Sarina Wiegman had covid and had to skip at least one game (I remember that vs Northern Ireland her assistant coach was on the bench instead of her and indeed heanswered to all of the questions in the post-match conference).

We can debate if having your coach out for covid is an "adversity" and if can be in any way compared to missing a player, but there was that.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you are suggesting that the future of women's football is recurring to professional foul and physical play (you openly talk about extra shin-guards), that's exactly what could make me quickly lose interest in it.

I stopped following men's football many years ago for many reasons, with no-one of them being more important than the next one, but for sure the more women's football will emulate men's football, the less I will find it interesting.

I want women's football to protect swift, creative, technical players, not to reward the teams muscling them out of the game. Nothing against Oberdorf in particular, but she embodies a style of play that I personally strongly dislike. :devilish:

And that's one of the reasons why I am happy for England's win. I want to see more spectacular plays like Walsh's 60 yards' assist and Toone's loop and less aggressive tackles in every part of the pitch. I am ok with pressing, but i am not ok with constant fouling and overly physical play.

kolabear repped this.
  4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    For England Yes, for the rest of UK probably for the rest of western Europe possibly for eastern Europe no.

5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Well, Hendrich had the most spectacular bit of play the whole match out of anyone for me. Absolute elite play to kickstart Magull's equalizer, which also featured great play from Lohmann and Wassmuth. Also, Kelly's shielding on her goal isn't exactly different from most of what Oberdorf does; you mainly see Oberdorf foul more because of the pure number of duels she gets involved in.

Cheetah101 and datschge repped this.
  6. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Williamson and uncalled handballs. Chelsea didn't allow that no call to take away their WSL title though.

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shame the hand play wasn't called but that's the sport. At one point you have to accept it and it isn't garanteed at all that the eventual penalty would end in the back of the net. Decisive for the outcome of the match was, that Germany unfortunately made two bad mistakes in defense for two easy English goals when the German team totally controlled most of the game. That's not enough to win a final. With England, Germany, France, Spain and Sweden there are several good teams out there that could give the US a run for their money in the next World Cup, that's great news for the sport.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Between 15 and 50 GBP for normal seats, premium and VIP much more expensive of course.

Klingo3034, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was surprised how the German pressing was not as efficient as usual. Unfortunately Popp pulling out during the warm-up plus Buhl covid case denied them two excellent forwards for the game and it made a difference.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #236 Dage, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Germany had enough high class chances to win the game, they lost it on the defense.

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was due to the Title 9 law requiring equal access on college sports. The earliest NTs we're all college soccer players. That's what drove the soccer boom along with lots of youth programs. We have had a big youth program in our area since the 1970s. The first professional league for women did not succeed.

Klingo3034 and JanBalk repped this.
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The last two Euros have been a lot higher in quality than the past ones. I think that was proven in the last WC. Maybe there isn’t a standout elite Euro team atm but the quality range in depth of teams is obvious. Longer term Euro teams will benefit from the continuous high level tournament competition.

England managed to get the best out of one of their best youth team collectives progressing into the seniors. Wubben-Moy, Roebuck, Stanway, Hemp, Kelly, Russo, Toone etc have been playing together with England for years.

Klingo3034, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It is harsh but that Houghton/Bright partnership was always very, very slow. Cost the team in previous finals. Now after Bronze’s latest bad injury she has also lost her recovery pace too. So, it was hard to see how Houghton could fit into this squad.

kolabear, Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've read many quite harsh judgements about Bronze and it's obvious that, if you compare her with her former self from a few seasons ago, the difference is glaring, but, considering her in a vacuum instead, I'd say she had an excellent Euro tournament anyway and you would be hard-pressed to find another Full-Back in any other Euro NT who's more dynamic and effective. Also, she's a constant danger from set-pieces: let's not forget that she scored a crucial 2-0 goal in the semifinal vs Sweden and that she assisted Kelly for the winner yesterday: I mean, how many non-Renard DFs are more threatening from CKs?

Ok, some seasons ago she was at "Player of the Year" level; now, at almost 31, she's a tad less exceptional, but in my eyes she remains a heck of a player, that I would want on my team any day!

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I bet Prince William entered for free. :sneaky:

Any news about what he said to each single player at the medal ceremony? :geek:

M repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree: Millie Bright once again had one of those moments in yesterday's final, when she had a blunder near the touch-line, saw the German player (don't remember which one, probably Schüller) run towards the goal and, with her ponderous pace, couldn't recover in time for her dear life. It was lucky for England that Earps was ready and somehow hypnotized the German player.

Bright is anyway useful enough that you want her in the team (sturdy, powerful, dangerous in offense from set-pieces), but she needs to be complemented by a very different CB, and I found Leah Williamson really excellent by this point of view. I admit I didn't know her much before this tournament, but I had to almost right away appreciate her quality. She's calm, self-assured, has superior ball-control skills (what you can't say of Bright, for instance), she's enough technical to be able to both send long forward-through-passes or to advance past the midfield with the ball at her feet. She's accurate in her passing game and almost always good at her marking duties in defense (I say "almost", because for instance she couldn't seem to stop Waßmuth from assisting Magull yesterday: it was a very good fast action from Germany, but maybe she could have done better with positioning or anticipation or tackling). Also she sure has leadership skills, that's always a plus for a CB having to direct a defense-line, as shown through her captaincy: you always had the impression that she was instilling confidence and tranquillity to her team-mates, who were very obviously looking at her as a polestar despite her young age.

Now, of course Houghton was a leader too, but I guess Williamson is an upgrade to a 34 years old and declining Houghton. Apart from any other considerations about their respective skills, Houghton is on the lowering curve of her career (and even more after an inury) while Williamson looks close to her peak.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I thought she had a good Euros overall but you can tell she has had to adapt her game. I was just highlighting that the current Bronze next to Bright/Houghton just would not work imo.

Bronze even said something about being so gutted after the last WC because she was never going to be better than that individually ever again. She’s had some really bad injuries and they have somewhat caught up with her now. She’s also admitted to playing games through pain. So, this win must mean everything to her.

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This is why I didn’t want to play France. They have a much quicker team and make runs in between the full back and CB’s. Germany are easier to defend against with England’s options. Bright v Popp certainly would not have been as daunting.

Williamson was very good. Always had a calm temperament and looked classy but needed to prove it on the biggest stage.

blissett repped this.
  20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Also read that the resale value of the tickets also went up when England was going to the finals so hundreds of dollars for a seat.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, a few people got scammed with fake tickets and also paid over the odds prices.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Germany would have been up 1 goal early had the ball not hit her head. That would have been a a goal even if the gk dives to get it. It was beyond her reach.

23. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    I know you refer to all the scattershots Germany managed to do, but with only two on target Germany could have equalized with England at best.

24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That one that hit the post and the rebound where the shot should have been more to the right angle camera view between defenders. That was also a big wasted opportunity.