WEURO 2022 - Final England vs Germany

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lohmann, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    31.07.2022 17:00 England vs Germany (Wembley)

ENG: AUT(1:0), NOR(8:0), NIR(5:0), ESP(2:1aet), SWE(4:0)
    Goalscorers: Mead(6), Russo(4), White(2), Stanway(2), Kirby(2), Hemp(1), Toone(1), Bronze(1), own goal(1)

GER: DEN(4:0), ESP(2:0), FIN(3:0), AUT(2:0), FRA(2:1)
    Goalscorers: Popp(6), Magull(2), Schüller(1), Lattwein(1), Bühl(1), Kleinherne(1), Anyomi(1)

Games at WC,OG or Euro:
    GER - ENG 3:0 (WC 1995)
    GER - ENG 3:0 (Euro 2001)
    ENG - GER 0:0 (WC 2007)
    GER - ENG 6:2 (Euro 2009)
    ENG - GER 1:0aet (WC 2015)

Last meeting:
    ENG - GER 3:1 (Arnold Clark Cup 2022)

Finals at Euro:
    SWE - ENG 1:0 (1984)
    ENG - SWE 1:0 Pen 3:4 (1984)
    GER - NOR 4:1 (1989)
    GER - NOR 3:1aet (1991)
    GER - SWE 3:2 (1995)
    GER - ITA 2:0 (1997)
    GER - SWE 1:0aet(GG) (2001)
    GER - NOR 3:1 (2005)
    GER - ENG 6:2 (2009)
    GER - NOR 1:0 (2013)

Finals including the host:
    SWE - ENG 1:0 (1984)
    ENG - SWE 1:0 Pen:3:4 (1984)
    NOR - SWE 2:1 (1987)
    GER - NOR 4:1 (1989)
    ITA - NOR 0:1 (1993)
    GER - SWE 3:2 (1995)
    GER - SWE 1:0aet(GG) (2001)
    NED - DEN 4:2 (2017)

Germany against the host:
    ITA - GER 1:1aet Pen: 4:3 (1993)
    NOR - GER 0:0 (1997)
    SWE - GER 0:1 (2013)

Germany vs England:
    21 wins Germany, 4 draws, 2 wins England

2. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    I like to look at the shots on target stats and its conversion rate into goals as the decisive stat for all teams. For the semifinals it was a perfect predictor for the eventual outcomes.

England total:
    Overall shots on target: 36 - 10
    Goals: 20 (56%) - 1 (10%)

Germany total
    Overall shots on target: 27 - 7
    Goals: 13 (48%) - 1 (14%)

Going by the numbers alone England is the clear favorite, not only is England's conversion ratio higher, they also manage to make significantly more shots on target. This is only the offense though.

For the defense the picture isn't as clear when looking at the actual cases. Germany's lone goal against was an own goal due to deflection. England's lone goal against on the other hand was against Spain, a match that went into extra time. Germany managed to win all its matches in regular time so far. Since both teams played against Spain, it may be worth comparing the stats of these two particular matches:

England - Spain
    Shots on target: 3 - 4
    Goals: 2 (67%) - 1 (25%)

Germany - Spain
    Shots on target: 2 - 2
    Goals: 2 (100%) - 0 (0%)

Going by the numbers alone both matches were insane. England managed to win against Spain despite Spain having more shots on target. And Germany managed to limit Spain to just two shots on target, none converting, while converting all of the same amount themselves.

So it's my expectation that the German defense and England's adaption to it will be decisive in the final. Will England manage to evade the German press and put their usual amount of shots on goal? Easy win for England. Will Germany manage to contain the English attacks, limiting the amount of shots on target to a small couple? Germany may actually have a chance then. England adapted to Sweden's marking really well after early scares. Germany will try to repeat those scares using its press and turn them into early goals, just like against Spain.

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the referee thread they think Frappart could be the referee for the final. I hope this will not be true.:eek:

4. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Would be kinda funny considering she already officiated both team's matches against Spain.

blissett repped this.
  5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Still it's better choice than Lina Lehtovaara imo.

Orange14 repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I skip all the numbers to quote the actually important sentence. :p

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You fear a French revenge? :sneaky:

8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    GERMANY ALL THE WAY

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bad experiences. WC quarterfinal 2019 and match against Spain at this Euro.

10. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    England play with a lot of enthusiasm. They fight and work hard. If they play attack, then very straightforward and fast. Nice long passes Crosses, direct game. It has been shown (Norway, Sweden) that if they make it 1-0, they can outclass the opponent. Germany is fighting and working hard too. England is the favourite. Germany should play disciplined. THey shouldn't be sleeping. It's going really fast in England. Always run back. Help each other and when England make it 1-0 don't get confused and fall apart. You have enough time to make it 1-1 and somehow get into a penalty shoot-out. Germany has almost always won against England. That's why I can also imagine that they will somehow end up being European champions in 2022. But England are the best strongest team so far and Germany should do a super, super performance to even get a penalty shootout against England.

Essex and JanBalk repped this.
  11. Germanyfan1993

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    hope to see germany win this, what a wonderful tournament for them.

12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would like to say in this thread what I have said elsewhere and that is: I, and my granddaughters, believe that England will win in the final. I do not know exactly why I feel that way since I and the granddaughters like Germany (the country) better than England. (The food is much better and, mostly, the people are friendlier.)
    On the soccer field there is little to choose between the two but they have different strengths and weaknesses. I suppose that it is partially "home field advantage" but that is not all that my mind seems to see as an English advantage. In reality I believe that "home field advantage" does little more than make everything more even as overall with all else being equal Germany seems the better team.
    So I predict an English victory but it will be a hard fought low scoring affair with the final being something along the lines of 2-1. That could be after 30 minutes of extra time.
    BTW: I am going to take a bit of a risk and predict that Germany's goal comes from Popp. I know that is a reach but she is due. ;) :D :ROFLMAO:

Essex, verde-rubro and blissett repped this.
  13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think England will be to much for Germany and with a full Wembley behind them.
    3-0 for me

Wendigo7 and blissett repped this.
  14. Tapas&Fútbol

Tapas&Fútbol Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Apr 11, 2019
    Seville (Spain)
    It’s a pity you didn’t add the ENG-AUS and GER-AUS stats. :(

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think Germany will do their usual high press in the first half and if England are not careful they will concede a lot of goals from turnovers. Then England will make subs in the second half, finish stronger, but it might be too late by then.

blissett repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Essex, Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Interesting that Oberdorf has made the joint most fouls in the tournament and picked up three yellow cards. She’s only played four games too. Played no part in the Finland game.

Was lucky not to be red carded against France.

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  18. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    England are the overwhelming favorites, let's not kid ourselves. Even if that comes to pass, Germany will have played an excellent tournament however. They are not back in world class just yet, the Silvia-Neid-Power-Football era still drags on.

But what we have seen, tight at the back, combative in midfield and always good for a goal up front is just cliche German. And clearly, it works.

19. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    You can always nicely ask for it or follow the link were I listed the stats for all matches of all four semifinal teams. ;)

England - Austria
    Shots on target: 5 - 2
    Goals: 1 (20%) - 0

Germany - Austria
    Shots on target: 5 - 1
    Goals: 2 (40%) - 0

Don't really know whether that changes much of what I lined out in the second post. If you take just the matches against Austria at face value you could think Germany is double as efficient in both attack and defense. But the conversion ratio is worse than average for both teams, showing Austria simply had a good defense, and the number of shots on target against is imo too low to use that to make conclusions about both teams' defense. The matches against Spain are much more telling for how close they were.

Tapas&Fútbol and blissett repped this.
  20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The home team should be the favorite BUT they have to play the game!!! :D

21. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

datschge, Klingo3034, kolabear and 3 others repped this.
  22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wonderful decision by UEFA to ask Ukrainian Kateryna Monzul referee the final. Well done.

blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Referees' forum here on BS was figuring that the only reason to choose Frappart over Monzul could have been the wish by UEFA's part not to weaken Frappart's résumé in the perspective of Qatar men's WC where she's going to operate, but apparently they finally decided that denying Frappart the Euro final wasn't significantly damaging her reputation nor displeasing FIFA about it.

kolabear, SF19 and Lechus7 repped this.
  24. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Was an interesting tournament so far. Caught some games, Norway didn't look good at all in the attack. Poor French fell short yet again, I feel like they're always just on the cusp. Good to see Germany back in the swing of it all. England is strong and I expect them to come out on top Sunday.

Also, fascinating to see the discussion fall onto, what referee in the final match. Yeeesh.

25. Tapas&Fútbol

Tapas&Fútbol Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Apr 11, 2019
    Seville (Spain)
    Link?. What are you talking about?. Oh wait, you mean this
    huge and perfectly visible link. :ROFLMAO:
    OMG. I can’t believe it but I somehow managed to overlook it.
    I’m very sorry. I didn’t want to bother you whith some extra work.
    Anyway thank you very much for your nice answer. :thumbsup:

datschge and blissett repped this.