Westberg: Troyes vs. Valenciennes 10/21 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CaliManU, Oct 21, 2006.

1. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Westberg comes in in the 51st Minute for Le Crom. Gives up two goals.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's his first action of the season, right? That's a hard way to start.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, so I'm assuming Troyes' 1st choice was either sent off or injured. Nonetheless, whatever the circumstances, hard way to make you league debut coming off the bench. I'm interested in finding out the details of his debut.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=2291

YA answered my questions, as usual. Le Cron went down with a foot injury and Quentin. Valenciennes,, who were down a man, scored 5 minutes into Quentin's debut. Troyes would return the favor and even the teams up as they hand a man sent off. The damage was already done and Valenciennes put another one away late.

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, the YA.com article on how good all our young keepers are is still up on that page. Anyway, I hope Q learns from this and keeps himself mentally ready at all times in the future (or he'll find himself a 3rd string keeper soon). It would be good for him to get the start next week and show his quality.

6. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    Why? Does anything say that he did something wrong?

7. sleepwalker2804

sleepwalker2804 New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I saw the highlights on TV and I think he made a mistake on Valenciennes's second goal (I think he hadn't touched the ball yet, he had been on the field for hardly 5 monutes). Basically, he didn't cover the near post, I guess he was anticipating for a cross or something like that. Tough debut.

8. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Troyes don't have the best defense though. Le Crom is a very good keeper from what I've seen. That could have shaken everyone (including Westberg's) confidence when he went down.

I hope Le Crom will be ok, but I'd like to see Q get a full 90.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    is westberg the gk who played for out u20 at the last wc in holland? a small sample admittedly, but he looked second rate to me. hope he's a lot better than he seemed then.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    is westberg the gk who played for our u20 at the last wc in holland? a small sample admittedly, but he looked second rate to me. hope he's a lot better than he seemed then.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes he was

12. DurlP

DurlP New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    San Diego
    He had a LOT to do with the 1-0 victory over Argentina and the scoreless tie versus Germany.

In any event, he was 19 at the time, and you can NOT expect to much out of a a keeper that age. Unless of course you are American and come on to BS. Then anything less than Buffon,Henry or Robben, "sucks".

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Both great points. Not the first young keeper thrown into the game who learns that he probably shouldn't have polished off that third creme brullee while stretching out on the bench for a game in which he, certainly, would not play. Very tough entrance, esp for a young keeper.
    and we'd get a much better idea of where he is with a full 90.

14. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll Member

Nov 13, 2002
    A couple of messages in the Troyes forum (I can't get a good link to post) quote the trainer Jean-Marc Furlan:

The second goal was a youthful mistake, the keeper anticipates the center and with an experienced player like Roudet, it's in the net.

Roudet (the goal scorer) said: For the second goal, Larent Dufresnes gave me a galette (apparently meaning "a great pass"), I anticipated the keeper coming out and the ball is in the net. It's the goal that freed us because we were 10 against 11 at the time.

The posters on the forum didn't seem to know how seriously LeCrom's injury was in terms of missing future games.

15. samw92

samw92 New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    He was indeed involved in the first goal...
    Except for that goal, he did a good performance but unfotunately that's all you notice in a game when the GK makes a mistake.